Urinary Stones And Chiped Pelvis? Crappy Vet, Need Advice!

Guest cocoapuff

Guest cocoapuff

I just got my female greyhound in October and been taking her to a vet down the street from me. At first things seemed ok since we had her nails cut, her teeth done and everything else seemed fine. Not sure if we really needed another teeth cleaning since they were done before adoption though.

The vet did a physical and some xrays to find urinary stones and a chipped bone in my greyhounds pelvis. They put her on c/d diet for a month and said to come back. I was ok with this even though the bills seem like a rip off (costed about $600 for the xrays, to sedate her, the perscription diet and the physical).

So I go back today to get more xrays done, costed me another 130 dollars. They say the stones are still there and I forgot to ask about the bone since I had so much else going on today, but they say shes going to need surgery most likely. They gave me more prescription food and said come back in a month for more xrays. Im going elsewhere for a second opinion since this doesnt seem right. I asked why not have the surgery now instead of me just buying more food and they had no real clue why. The doctor also said he thinks she might need to be the diet for life, which sounds extremely wrong since I read the diet isnt good for the dogs in the long term.

Anyone have experience with this issues since it really annoyed me at how clueless the vet acted and how they didnt seem to care when I told them that I didnt have all this money to blow on these things that werent helping my dogs issue. They seemed more concern with me buying their stuff than trying to make sure my dog is healthy. I get they need to make money but their attitude seemed like they really had no regard for anything but themselves. Any help would be great, thank you!

Even though it will cost some more money, I'd ask your adoption group for a reference to a grey-savvy vet, or take her to a good vet-med school for a 2nd opinion. Otherwise you are always going to be wondering if any of this is necessary. Good luck!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

If you can tell us where you are, someone might be able to make good recommendations for you.

But I'd run to another vet asap. I know you don't need the extra expense of a new vet, but if there's really nothing wrong, you can get her onto a sensible food.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest cocoapuff

If you can tell us where you are, someone might be able to make good recommendations for you.

But I'd run to another vet asap. I know you don't need the extra expense of a new vet, but if there's really nothing wrong, you can get her onto a sensible food.

Thanks for your reply. Im in Northwest Florida. I got my grey in gainesville and may head down that way to see the vet that originally saw her but I would be open to other good vets nearby me.

Give local folks a little time to get back to you with recommendations.

Meanwhile, you might call the office of the Gainesville-area vet that originally saw her and see if they have recommendations for you.

Did your dog originally have an issue that made you go to the vet in the first place? Or did you just go for a well-dog visit?

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest cocoapuff

Give local folks a little time to get back to you with recommendations.

Meanwhile, you might call the office of the Gainesville-area vet that originally saw her and see if they have recommendations for you.

Did your dog originally have an issue that made you go to the vet in the first place? Or did you just go for a well-dog visit?

I originally took her to the vet since she had hookworm when I got her and had to test to make sure that it was gone since I was giving her meds that the adoption gave me. They tried to rotate her hips and when she started squealing they thought she had some issues in her hips. They offered me a deal to where they could check her hips with xrays as well as do a teeth cleaning at the same time. When they did the xrays they said they saw the stone.

Writing this out and saying it out loud kind of makes me really think it was a rip off lol. I will be giving them a call tomorrow at Gainesville. I really dont want to drive 2 1/2 hours but I might have to since Id like these medical issues resolved.

Okay. I'm not sure why they needed to rotate her hips to check for hookworms. She might have had a hip issue (although hip dysplasia is rare in greyhounds), but she might have squealed just because she was startled or because she didn't like what they were doing. (Greyhound owners know about the GSOD--greyhound scream of death--where a dog screams the roof in over incidents of minor injury or major outrage.)

How old is your girl? Do you know her racing name?

I'm skeptical that this isn't a total scam. Did her teeth have tartar build up that they showed you before the dental? Did they know she had just had one? Have you looked at reviews of this vet online - on Google, Yelp or FB? It sounds Really fishy. Get digital copies of all x-rays so the new vet can review them without repeating them.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Definitely get copies of all her records with this vet before you tell them you're leaving. If they balk at it, RUN as fast as you can. This person doesn't sound like he has your dog's best interest at heart, only his bottom line.

FWIW, most greyhounds don't need to be sedated for routine xrays. And even one with a really bad mouth won't need a dental more than twice a year, and there's a lot that you can do to help keep their teeth clean. If she has a kidney stone, you would be seeing some sort of indication in her behavior or her urinalysis would have shown blood in the sample. And switching her food wouldn't help get rid of it, only help prevent more fom forming. I would also be skeptical of a chipped bone in her hip. Heck, I'm just skeptical of this vet in general.

Call the Gainesville vet and ask for a greyhound savvy vet recommendation closer in your area. Your adoption group may have a list too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

There's a few questions/ comments I have. Did your vet run a urinalysis? If yes, was there an indication of an infection? Some urinary stones can be a result of an urinary infection (struvites). Once the infection has been resolved those stones may in fact be resolved by diet change. I assume the findings of the bladder stone(s) was an incidental finding when the hip rads were taken. Regarding the hip rads--it is common place to need to sedate to acquire hip rads-dogs must be plced on their backs and the back legs extended and stifles draw in.....in other words nearly impossible to get a decent hip rad on an awake dog. So, I guess the question would be was this vet at fault for exploring the cause for this dog to complain when palpated? The bottom line is the urinary stone and perhaps a urinary infection may not have been discovered without the rads being done. I see no wrong doing by the vet.

Guest cocoapuff

I'm skeptical that this isn't a total scam. Did her teeth have tartar build up that they showed you before the dental? Did they know she had just had one? Have you looked at reviews of this vet online - on Google, Yelp or FB? It sounds Really fishy. Get digital copies of all x-rays so the new vet can review them without repeating them.

I read the reviews. Some people liked them and some people said the same thing about getting ripped off. I can tell by the way they interacted with me though that they seem more concern with how much money Im spending than taking care of my dog. I told the vet that I was going to look around before making a decision about her surgery with them and all he kept trying to do was sell me his services and wouldnt shut up until I said "yeah ill be back in a month". I was talking to them at the front counter about the food since they wanted 60 bucks for it and I was like "well if she needs surgery, I dont see the point in the food and dont really want it", but again, they just would not stop persisting until I buy their crap. Really annoyed me. If she needed the stuff and if I dont want to pay 60 dollars for it then they could have at least told me where else to get it since Im a student and dont have infinite funds for my dog. Not to say that I wouldnt buy the food if I must had it, but its just the lack of concern for myself and my dog that the people here didnt have that bothered me.

Definitely get copies of all her records with this vet before you tell them you're leaving. If they balk at it, RUN as fast as you can. This person doesn't sound like he has your dog's best interest at heart, only his bottom line.

FWIW, most greyhounds don't need to be sedated for routine xrays. And even one with a really bad mouth won't need a dental more than twice a year, and there's a lot that you can do to help keep their teeth clean. If she has a kidney stone, you would be seeing some sort of indication in her behavior or her urinalysis would have shown blood in the sample. And switching her food wouldn't help get rid of it, only help prevent more fom forming. I would also be skeptical of a chipped bone in her hip. Heck, I'm just skeptical of this vet in general.

Call the Gainesville vet and ask for a greyhound savvy vet recommendation closer in your area. Your adoption group may have a list too.

Yeah whats worst was that they told me that this month was their dental month and they were offering discounts, so instead of me waiting a month for the dental month they insisted on her doing the teeth cleaning when it costed more. Im really tired of having to switch her food too, its been like the third time ive had to change her diet and I dont like have to keep buying different foods like this.

There's a few questions/ comments I have. Did your vet run a urinalysis? If yes, was there an indication of an infection? Some urinary stones can be a result of an urinary infection (struvites). Once the infection has been resolved those stones may in fact be resolved by diet change. I assume the findings of the bladder stone(s) was an incidental finding when the hip rads were taken. Regarding the hip rads--it is common place to need to sedate to acquire hip rads-dogs must be plced on their backs and the back legs extended and stifles draw in.....in other words nearly impossible to get a decent hip rad on an awake dog. So, I guess the question would be was this vet at fault for exploring the cause for this dog to complain when palpated? The bottom line is the urinary stone and perhaps a urinary infection may not have been discovered without the rads being done. I see no wrong doing by the vet.

There wasnt any indictation of infection. I have to check the paperwork but Im not actually sure if they ran the analysis. I dont think what the vet is doing is exactly wrong, but just feels like Im being overcharged and not being serviced properly.

Okay. I'm not sure why they needed to rotate her hips to check for hookworms. She might have had a hip issue (although hip dysplasia is rare in greyhounds), but she might have squealed just because she was startled or because she didn't like what they were doing. (Greyhound owners know about the GSOD--greyhound scream of death--where a dog screams the roof in over incidents of minor injury or major outrage.)

How old is your girl? Do you know her racing name?

I noticed she had some weird stuff going on with one of her legs one day and asked him to check. She ended up being fine, she probably rolled on her ankle wrong one day. I agree though that she probably squealed due to not liking her legs being stretched out. My girl is 2 1/2 and her racing name was Blu Too Boysen.

Edited by cocoapuff

Never had experience with that specific medical issue but have had a great deal of experience with crappy money grabbing vets -- even to the point of letting my last hound Bobber suffer for 4 hours and die rather than 'mess up' their weekend. Personally I would RUN from the vet you described. No way in you know where would I let them do surgery-or anything else. In my area of the country it is exceedingly difficult to find a vet that actually does care about your pets well being and is knowledgeable. In fact I even had one inform me once that "It's not about compassion." All you can do is the best you can do for your girl. If you don't speak up for her, no one will. She can't speak for herself. I only wish I would have recognized the level of incompetence of my former vet so I could have spoke up for Bobber and saved her from what she went through. I was not a vet though so I didn't know the proper protocol (I DO NOW!) and I made the stupid decision to trust the vet. JMO.

Guest cocoapuff

Never had experience with that specific medical issue but have had a great deal of experience with crappy money grabbing vets -- even to the point of letting my last hound Bobber suffer for 4 hours and die rather than 'mess up' their weekend. Personally I would RUN from the vet you described. No way in you know where would I let them do surgery-or anything else. In my area of the country it is exceedingly difficult to find a vet that actually does care about your pets well being and is knowledgeable. In fact I even had one inform me once that "It's not about compassion." All you can do is the best you can do for your girl. If you don't speak up for her, no one will. She can't speak for herself. I only wish I would have recognized the level of incompetence of my former vet so I could have spoke up for Bobber and saved her from what she went through. I was not a vet though so I didn't know the proper protocol (I DO NOW!) and I made the stupid decision to trust the vet. JMO.

Aw sorry to hear about Bobber. I called up the Gainesville vet just now and will be taking her there monday. I trust them way more since she was seen there before I adopted here and they work with the adoption that I got her from very often. Kind of a pain to drive 2 1/2 hours but it will feel good knowing that my grey will be taken care of properly. I also like how this place specifically works with greyhounds. a lot of vets like to think they know about every dog, but they dont. Especially with greyhounds that are a lot different than many other breeds of dogs.

I'm not going to get too far into the majority of this post, but I did want to throw this out there as far as the teeth.

I have gotten a lot of foster dogs with fairly significant dental disease after they've already supposedly had a dental in the States before being brought up to Canada. The adoption group tells me these are fairly "basic" dentals at a reduce fee that they're offered... though I'm not really sure what that means. As a vet I've done a lot of dental surgeries, and you either clean the teeth or you don't... I don't understand this "minimal" dental that supposedly happens right off the track. My point is, a lot of these dogs coming off the track don't always get a proper dental cleaning, which sucks because if the dog is going to be anesthetized we should make the most of that.

Also, recognize that adoption groups are somewhat limited on finances and they sometimes can only afford to do a minimum. My last lurcher foster had awful teeth, with root exposures everywhere and I estimated he needed the majority of his molars and premolars extracted. He did not have his teeth done before I got him since he was a lurcher and was coming from a different situation than the racers. I was really happy when he was taken for his dental, and completely shocked when he came home without a single extraction. They just couldn't afford to do more than have them cleaned. Which is unfortunate but it is what it is, and they do the best they can off of donations. Whoever adopted him really needed to take him in and have all those teeth pulled after his adoption, which would be a couple thousand dollars. So while a hound in a home hopefully only needs its teeth done once a year, right after adoption is a completely different story in my experience with my fosters.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest goofydog2

Please contact Greyhound Pets of America/Emerald Coast for vet recommendations that will be closer to you. They are a fabulous group and work out of the Pensacola area, though they cover a fair amount of the panhandle. My first hound came from them(from Ebro) while I lived in the area. I used a grey savvy vet in Niceville but I've been gone 10 years so I don't know if they are still around. GPA/EC is a very active group with lots of peeps in your area.

Good luck getting answers from a vet you can trust.

BTW, :rules require :digicam

Krissy, that thought crossed my mind, which is why I asked if the vet took the time to actually point out tartar build up on the teeth to show her why the dental was warranted (I know there can be disease you can't see, but if the dog had really just had a dental and the teeth looked pristine, at that age the vet shouldn't have been recommending it "just in case"). Anyway, when I was heavily involved with my group, the dental was supposedly included in what we paid (a very low cost) along with spay/neuter. But what I was told by our president was that they would basically just clean teeth with whatever time they had left while the dog was under. In retrospect, that makes no sense since the dog is under for the time you keep them under. Perhaps their fee was for a set amount of sedation time and because some spay/neuters go more quickly they could sometimes clean some teeth. I really don't know. All of this to say that I agree with you - we did often see dogs who still had build up who had supposedly had a dental at the track. My first greyhound had some in fact, though my vet at the time suggested we wait until she needed to be sedated for something else. I switched her to raw and she never ended up needing one up until she passed away 7 years later.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest cocoapuff

She was sedated when they did her dental. My issue with the teeth was that they were offering discounts this month and didnt tell me anything about it. Her breath wasnt that terrible, it wasnt great either, but if I could have saved some money I would have waited a little bit.

She was sedated when they did her dental. My issue with the teeth was that they were offering discounts this month and didnt tell me anything about it. Her breath wasnt that terrible, it wasnt great either, but if I could have saved some money I would have waited a little bit.

We were talking about the dental she would have been given at the track. In theory she shouldn't have needed a second one so soon, but it's hard to say without more info.

Please update after your 2nd opinion with the vet in Gainesville. If she really does have bladder stones, then she very well may need to be on a special diet for life to try to reduce the risk of forming stones again. Did the vet point the "chipped pelvis" out to you on the x-rays? It's possible that everything the first vet did was appropriate and they just didn't do a very good job of explaining things to you. Bladder stones and dental issues aren't particularly specific to greyhounds, so whether or not the vet was greyhound-savvy shouldn't have really affected that.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg