Exocrine Pancreatic Inefficiency

At this point in his life, if prednisone makes him feel better and happier, go for it. Make his last days some of the best he's ever known. I know when my westie had EPI, it was absolutely heartbreaking watching her starve - no matter how much food she had, it wasn't enough. Looking back, I should have had her put to sleep sooner, but I selfishly kept her alive for me. She was happy, running around with the other girls, tail a-wagging. Such an absolutely devastating decision.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the challenge. He wags his tail, loves his walks, etc...so then I say that he does enjoy parts of his life....but he's still starving. It's so hard to euthanize a creature that still experiences joy.

Thanks for your honesty, CMC333. This helps me at least feel a little less alone in the decision.

Then I beat myself up and say maybe I haven't been vigilant enough and weaning off the pred to soon maybe didn't allow the viocase to work...but then I know intuitively, the pred wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

If only we could ask them if they wanted to continue to live when they are starving all the time. I still look back and wonder if I should have/could have/would have tried something else, Kelli would have miraculously been better. Whatever you decide - put to sleep or continue wagging the tail and taking walks - it's really a decision with no good answers as to what is right. I'm sorry you're in this spot - it's a horrible place to be.

This wicked disease sounds a bit like the GME that Piper had in that for some dogs the disease responds to available meds and can actually be managed long-term. Yet for other individuals, that response to meds just doesn't happen, leaving us floundering around trying to figure out why we can't "make it work out" for our beloved dogs. Robin, you know this is not your failure. This is a disease that is sometimes fatal and is sometimes manageable. You have no control over how Reagan's body is going to be able to respond to treatments. You are giving every available treatment a solid try to see if it can help him. That is really and truly all you can do. The response to treatment is not on you. You are just left with the hugely difficult decision of when to "call it". :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Robin, how's Reagan doing this week? Any improvement or just making sure his time with you is good? I'm always wracking my brain trying to think of something that would maybe help, but I can't think of anything. It's such a horrible disease to watch progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, all. I made the decision last Monday to end Reagan's battle. He wagged his tail until the end - had chicken feet that day - and huge dog biscuits the night before from my significant other. I am so grateful for those of you who helped me to understand that not every disease and med acts the same for every dog.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and all Reagan's family and friends.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.