Exercise

Guest makalataylor

I live in the city, no back yard, two greyhounds ages 6 and 8. We walk for at least an hour in the morning and another hour at night, (excluding short around the block potty breaks in the afternoon and before bedtime). My boys also run off leash once to twice a week in an enclosed garden that allows this before 9am. We go to different parks, sometimes we go on hikes and to the beach--where they get to run off leash. My younger dog came to me with major fear issues and anxiety--clicker training has been very effective, he now offers behaviors in situations that would normally send him into a panic mode--outside, (his fears were all concentrated outdoors, he was always fine in the house). I can only speak for myself--being a very active person I don't want a couch potato dog and as long as they are healthy, enjoy being active and are physically able to do so--I am happy to provide them with much exercise. I have been lucky that all of my greyhounds were active-my Lance who passed away at age 14 still loved to run and go for long walks up until the last 6 months or so of his life.

Edited by forevergrey

Another factor to consider is the temperature. If it is even "warm" out (not overly hot) my grey just kind of lags behind and just wants to go home after 15-20 minutes. Whereas now that it is cold, I jog with him and he is perky and he runs 6-8km every day. I find the heat makes a huge difference.

Guest makalataylor

I guess she just isn't a big walker, haha. Oh well. We just have the ultimate lazy dog. She'll only get up quickly if you're calling her for snuggles, or for cheese

Guest makalataylor

I will do that. I live in the sticks of Alabma though =) She is happy we lay together on the couch, she will jump in my lap and will come to me when I call her.

Awww, she's a snuggler! That's probably just who she is. But it sounds like maybe you haven't had her that long, so things may change.

Have you tried a change of venue? Lila won't walk in our neighborhood (she's got her own valid reasons) but she loves going for walks in different places. Parks, trails, college campuses, even different neighborhoods all get her excited.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest makalataylor

She is! She will jump up in my lap, and curl up (I didn't realize such a large dog could become so small). We have had her about 6 months.

Haven't tried a change of venue, though maybe we will. My son likes to ride his tricycle but he can't in our apartment complex but I think we have a nice walking trail near by?

Taking her to a new area, park or walking trail might make a difference. I take (drive) my dogs to a couple of parks to walk, just for a change of scenery, when the weather is cool. (under 70) Even if she doesn't walk much in the new area, she might enjoy a change :) In the end though, I think you just have a lazy dog :lol

Maybe e-mail your adoption program and others (here's one link for research -- http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/directory/list.cfm) and see if you can hook up with greyhound folks closer to you. Would you be willing to drive an hour, say, at least once to see if being with other greyhounds helps her come out of her shell? It's made a big difference to some hounds.

You say she's not interested in a kong or other toys. Maybe just leave a stuffed toy that looks like a small animal (and has a squeaker) around. Sometimes hounds are never interested, but sometimes they'll try it after months, and zowie! If she does start liking stuffed toys, watch out for your child's teddy bears :) Another thing to try might be inside games -- hide and seek inside, with you or your child hiding someplace easy with a treat, and calling her.

Here's a link to a flirt pole, also called a lure pole. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691SqHA19T0 It's not for someone with a bad back/knee, but maybe your DH could try it with her? I've made lure poles out of bamboo poles and rope, and also bought a horse's lunge whip on line. Tied a plastic bag or stuffed toy to it. Most of my dogs go nuts for it.

Good luck with continuing to get her more interested in the world around her. And keep us posted.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest rferguson

1 hour of walking per day (two 15 minute sessions, one 30 minute session)

The yard won't be fenced until next Spring. I'm trying to find a fenced in space nearby my boy can run off leash and maintain his muscle tone.

RE clicker: I tried it without success, but I may revisit. I was rapidly clicking my pen yesterday, and I noticed it got raised ears.

Guest Jordan33

It took Adrien months to get comfortable enough to leave my side at the dog park. She still prefers the humans, and will walk up to each one in turn for some attention. But recently she's started interacting with the other dogs. And if I lose her attention and can "escape" to the other side and call her to me, she'll run over with a smile. She chased another dog recently, which was huge. But she hates dogs who just want to tumble around, are aggressive about it, or are constantly getting in her face. So we do need to watch out for that, otherwise she's steadily getting better.