Exercise

Guest makalataylor

Guest makalataylor

How often does everyone exercise their greyhounds? Molly goes on about 6 short walks a day on weekends and 4 on weekdays (10/15 minutes each), but she is just not interesting in any more than that. She is super lazy and will just plant when she is tired of walking lol. I try to take her to our "dog park" that never has any dogs in it but she will just stand there and look at me like I have lose my mind. She is healthy, and the proper weight so should I not worry much about her not wanting exercise. I mean, I don't like exercise lol.

0.9-1.3 mile walk in the am, 0.9-1.9 mile walk in the evening. Logan gets additional exercise by doing the occasional zoomies, Max is pretty much too old for that though once in a while he will run around a bit when I get home from work.

If you haven't done so yet, try taking Molly down to a local park, the different smells there may get her more interested. But I would say you are doing at least 40 min per day (4x10 min) which probably works out to 1.5-3 miles depending on how fast you walk, so that should be enough exercise. If she is keeping proper weight that confirms it.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest makalataylor

0.9-1.3 mile walk in the am, 0.9-1.9 mile walk in the evening. Logan gets additional exercise by doing the occasional zoomies, Max is pretty much too old for that though once in a while he will run around a bit when I get home from work.

If you haven't done so yet, try taking Molly down to a local park, the different smells there may get her more interested. But I would say you are doing at least 40 min per day (4x10 min) which probably works out to 1.5-3 miles depending on how fast you walk, so that should be enough exercise. If she is keeping proper weight that confirms it.

We walk slow =) I have an awful knee and back so fast walking is not for me. HAHA. Yeah, off lead she just looks at me like "and you expect me to do what?" I've not taken her anywhere but around the apartment and to our makeshift dog park(just a fenced in yard at the complex) but maybe that will spark her interest. We are still working on "come" so don't want to let her off leash in a big area yet.

we try to walk at least 1.5 miles daily. if they zip around the yard or i get together with my friend's lab/rottie mix it's a good hearty run catching tennis balls, but that's extra.

2-3xs a week it's 3-4 mile walks. when the roads freeze it's weekend walkies only at the one non-salted road in our county(ralph lauren and martha steward live on it). this has been our routine for the past 9.5 years, but i will say the dogs just don't seem to have the stamina they used to. they do slow down in their 9th year.

Physical issues? Fear issues? It's really not normal for a healthy,young dog to not want to take walks/exercise.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest makalataylor

She has been nervous, but has gotten better. Loud noises still startle her. She will go on walks without a problem, but after about 20 minutes she is ready to go home. We took her for a full work up when we got her and she checked out fine, minus a little stifness but she is on supplements.

She just have no interest in running around. in the fenced area at our apartment she will just stand right by your side and won't leave to really go around and explore and if she does she will walk, stiff and then immediately walk right back to you, or to the gate.

The people that had her before us returned her because she was incredibly lazy. The only time she gets is excited is when you say "cheese". So I don't think it is a physical issue, just that she is lazy. Long walks just aren't our thing, she will pick up the pace once we turn around toward home.

She may be more interested in we have her romp with another dog, but again until we get come down I am nervous to take her to a big area, and none of my friends have big dogs...and she is strange around other dogs...not mean she just doesn't seem interested. They can be barking and whining at her, or they can come up to her and she will act like nothing is there.

She has been nervous, but has gotten better. Loud noises still startle her. She will go on walks without a problem, but after about 20 minutes she is ready to go home. We took her for a full work up when we got her and she checked out fine, minus a little stifness but she is on supplements.

She just have no interest in running around. in the fenced area at our apartment she will just stand right by your side and won't leave to really go around and explore and if she does she will walk, stiff and then immediately walk right back to you, or to the gate.

The people that had her before us returned her because she was incredibly lazy. The only time she gets is excited is when you say "cheese". So I don't think it is a physical issue, just that she is lazy. Long walks just aren't our thing, she will pick up the pace once we turn around toward home.

She may be more interested in we have her romp with another dog, but again until we get come down I am nervous to take her to a big area, and none of my friends have big dogs...and she is strange around other dogs...not mean she just doesn't seem interested. They can be barking and whining at her, or they can come up to her and she will act like nothing is there.

To add: I have never had a dog that isn't interested in other dogs...she is so insanely cat like and I know greys are independent it is just SO strange. I've tried taking her to my friend's house who has three dogs and Molly will just walk to the couch.

She sounds like a typical retired greyhound to me :) I took my first greyhound to a dog park and she just stood, looking at me like "can we go now?" She would walk beside me if I walked around, but that was it. Many greys are what we call breed snobs. They aren't familiar with other types of dogs, and many just aren't interested. I'll bet if you got her around other greyhounds, you would see a different dog :) Like other dogs, some individuals are more high energy than others. I currently have a gimpy old man (11.5) who loves walks and would go far longer than is good for him if I let him. I have also had greys that are perfectly satisfied for one slow paced 20-30 minute walk a day, plus a few ambles around the yard.

If she is healthy and a good weight, I'd say she is fine, just, as you say, lazy :lol

Returned for LAZY?? Someone didn't read the owner's manual... :rofl

I wonder if she'd like a flirt pole.

Our local greyhound group has a monthly walk--is that something you guys have? I know some groups have playgroups; she doesn't have to play, but I think just hanging around the other greys may be good for her.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

It sounds to me like she's a little shut down/nervous. You could try something like Composure to see if that changes anything. Dogs do have varying energy needs, but what you're describing sounds like more than that, especially since she'll pick up her pace to return home. Hard to tell based on just the info here, but that's my suspicion.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest makalataylor

Yes, he previous owners had her for about a month and then returned her because she was "too lazy" and didn't want to play.

I don't think we have anything local. The adoption agency is nearly 3 hours away. And what is a "flirt pole" haha?!

Also, I was giving her composure chews for about 2 months but noticed no change. She just seems eager to get back home, and back to bed. I know she is somewhat nervous but she isn't even the slightest bit interested in other dogs or any sort of romp.

Yes, he previous owners had her for about a month and then returned her because she was "too lazy" and didn't want to play.

I don't think we have anything local. The adoption agency is nearly 3 hours away. And what is a "flirt pole" haha?!

Also, I was giving her composure chews for about 2 months but noticed no change. She just seems eager to get back home, and back to bed. I know she is somewhat nervous but she isn't even the slightest bit interested in other dogs or any sort of romp.

I sometimes wonder is the people who had her for a month were mean to her, because sometimes just out of the blue if I raise my hand too quickly she will cower. Especially when she is eating. Her bowl is in the kitchen and I am usually cooking while she eats

Don't get me wrong she has gotten 100 times better since we got her, the first month we had her...everything scared her...she would sleep along and everything, now she is more social with my husband and I...but only us

A DAP collar would be an alternative. Different than Composure. It's a bit of trial and error to see what, if anything helps each dog. Your descriptions are only confirming what I suspect. Certainly if she was already a bit nervous and the previous owners interpreted that as stubbornness and responded with force or punishment that would only make her worse. In situations where punishment is used, something called learned helplessness?can occur where the dog basically does as little as possible to avoid the possibility of being punished.

Time may also help in her case as she learns to trust you. I wouldn't force the exercise issue in the meantime. Good dispensing toys and interactive good puzzles are a great alternative to give her a way to burn energy and encourage her to come out of her shell a bit.

One other option would be to try walking with another greyhound or two and see if she enjoys that more. Often the presence of another greyhound (specifically, not another breed) can help when these guys are a bit nervous or shutdown.

Guest makalataylor

Do you have any suggestions to locate other greyhound owners, we don't have any local that I know of.

Also, toys...what do you recommend? She has no interest in anything, even squeaky ones. I certainly don't mind her laidbackness, however I just want her to feel comfortable. She has made leaps and bounds in the past 6 months though.

Does she like food? Especially human food like cheese, hot dog, roast beef? If so, I would try an interactive food puzzle. I like the Trixie brand and Nina Ottoson ones. Amazon sells both.

Where are you located? I'm sure you could connect with some other owners through your local groups.

Eta: Here are a couple of puzzle examples:

TRIXIE Pet Products Flip Board, Level 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054Q9TMA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bUYpyb9DPBE0A

Nina Ottosson Dog Tornado Interactive Doy Toy Puzzle for Dogs, Plastic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091ZS3KO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1UYpybNPJVCEP

Edited by NeylasMom

My 7 year old loves her 2-5 mile jogs three times a week, followed by a 1-2 mile walk so the 3 year old gets some outside time in the morning, too. Then, we take another 1-2 mile walk every evening. The 3 year old is the laziest dog I have ever owned. My 13 year old grey wanted to walk more! The 3 year old was a successful racer, but pulled her tricep in July and got petted out. She is fully healed, but has embraced retirement with a passion. She, too, will speed up when she realizes we are on the homeward portion of the walk. However, she spends HOURS running around the house, dragging her squeaky stuffies around and squeaking them half to death. She prefers the snakes and caterpillers and loofahs. With those, she is relentless. The 7 year old has zero interest in toys, except as an occasional pillow.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest makalataylor

Does she like food? Especially human food like cheese, hot dog, roast beef? If so, I would try an interactive food puzzle. I like the Trixie brand and Nina Ottoson ones. Amazon sells both.

Where are you located? I'm sure you could connect with some other owners through your local groups.

Eta: Here are a couple of puzzle examples:

TRIXIE Pet Products Flip Board, Level 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054Q9TMA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bUYpyb9DPBE0A

Nina Ottosson Dog Tornado Interactive Doy Toy Puzzle for Dogs, Plastic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091ZS3KO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1UYpybNPJVCEP

I live in Valley, AL about 30 minutes from Auburn. I adopted her in Stone Mountain, GA by Atlanta but that is nearly 3 hours away.

I will have to try the interactive toy. She had no interest in the Kong, even when it had hot dogs and cheese in it. =(

Hmm, maybe just start with the "find it" game. Literally just say "find it" then toss a piece of food onto the floor. You can make it into a really fun game where she has to run around to get them. Then once she's good at it, you can try outside.

this sorta sounds like my first greyhound emily. i thought she was possibly brain damaged, no spark, no zest, didn't want to do anything but lie in the crate. well, i started her with clicker training to see if there was anything in there.....SHE WOKE UP!!!! she needed a job, went from crate hog to her canine good citizen ship and therapy dog in 2 months. worked happily as a therapy dog and loved all levels of obedience training. she was the fastest to do any and everything including sit in all of her classes. loved to go on hikes, camping and traveled well everywhere. she adored going downtown to flea markets, walked around like she owned the place! she also was an awesome model, great on photo shoots.

personally, i do not like clicker training, but it woke her up. maybe you will be as lucky as i was, give clicker training a try.

I wish Molly would take advantage of the yard, but she has no interest. It's a chore for her to go on a walk haha

Talullah finds walking objectionable! She goes out, pees and turns right back around to go inside and back to soft furniture! She gets all excited when she hears her leash, then we get outside and she just looks at me as if asking why on earth we are there.

Have two. One two and a half and the older one almost nine. The young one gives the older one purpose. My first two were single dogs, than after that, I had two and what a difference. Friends make a world of difference. Even if it is a different breed, trips to the shelters, etc, could help find a friend.

Some hounds require more exercise than others. We don't tend to prefer the really lazy dogs because we are active. Mine are on the higher energy part of the spectrum so we hike, walk, use a flirt pole, and do structured running. I bought a simple lure machine and run my hounds in straight sprints. They also have time to run, play, and rough house in the yard. My only dog who does not like walks is a spook.