Dry Skin Advice For New Greyhound Owner

Guest Harvard

Guest Harvard

Hi everyone. So my little buddy seems to has dry skin issues. I've been giving him a fish oil pill twice a day. It seems to have made a little positive change. Not sure if I should increase his dosage but I definitely don't want to give him diarrhea. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Cheers

Welcome!
How long has he been off the track / have you had him?

You will find that his coat will change a lot once he is settled.

What is his name? Pictures please!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We used Hair of the Dog in the past. It gave us great results with Bee Wiseman, who had dry, flakey skin.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

We had great results with premium kibble, and offering sardines in oil twice per week, with our newly adopted big, jet black boy. Will's coat absolutely shimmers, it only took 6 weeks to be transformed. And the excitement when they smell sardines at dinner time!

We went through a HORRIBLE month of shedding, but with the help of one of those fine toothed pet combs, we are back to a glistening black jaguar again! (Well, the goofy, lazy bones, scaredy cat version of a jaguar!)

I would try Springtime Skin & Coat Oil first. That will probably fix it and give him a velvety coat. If that don't work try good quality fish oil but remember you have to supplement vitamin E if you add the fish oil. Whatever you do use quality stuff- you only get what you pay for. Lipoderm also works but it is more expensive and you can probably accomplish the same thing with the above at less cost.

Edited by racindog

I've used Dermoscent to get resilient skin and luscious fur. It's not cheap and you can get it through your vet, but I haven't had luck with anything else.

If your pup is new to you though, it's rather normal to have some flakey skin until they get used to their new digs.

Edited to add: I forgot to say, you can try to bathe him in an Oatmeal based shampoo to help as well.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest HeatherLee

Eqyss haydrating spray is a freaking miracle. It's made for horses but works on dogs. Marigold scent works especially well to repel mosquitos too (unless you live in the south) but I would recommend a different scent if you or your dog has ragweed allergies. Also, tropiclean sensitive oatmeal shampoo is awesome. I typically don't like to bath for dry skin.. even after someone said they already washed them.. but this made their coat 10 times softer and got rid of a lot of her dandruff problem.

Guest goofydog

My black boy has had dandruff since coming home almost 2 years ago. I've tried the usual remedies without success. I reached out to a friend whose black hounds have the most glorious shiney & sleek coats and she said Missing Link Skin & Coat powder was her go to supplement. My order arrived today so I'll start adding a bit at a time to his food over the next 2 weeks to reach the recommended dose by weight. I expect to have several weeks to wait until the full results can be seen. If Morrie's coat is anywhere as nice as Minnie's I'll be thrilled. I'll also add an update here.

Has anyone else used this product? With what results? Inquiring minds want to know!

Guest Jordan33

My girl has some skin issues. My vet recommended giving her Omega-3. I originally got it in liquid form from the vet, which was messy to deal with. Then I found the Wysong pet food company makes it dry. I just mix it with her food. It's been helping a lot. Also, when we need it, I use regular coconut oil as a moisturizer.

Hope this helps!

• 8 months later...
Guest Islandhopper3

Our grey, a 10 year old female, has been 'home' for about 2 months. She has one, repeat one scaly patch at the front of her left hip. We've tried fish oil (in her food daily), coconut oil (as we thought was needed), and Animax. Nothing seems to stop the itch/flake long enough for her to stop chewing at the spot. We've noticed her stools are better formed without fish oil, and she doesn't seem to balk at eating as she did when getting fish oil. We're massaging, then brushing the coconut oil into her coat. The Animax is a greasy mess, and the combination of antibiotics and cortisone shouldn't be necessary. We don't think it has anything to do with her food because the problem's localized. Occasionally we see small, red, rough spots on the skin, but only in that 3" x 3" area.

Has anyone heard/seen anything like this, and if so what's worked to clear it up?