Frontline Gold

Guest gordo1466

Never heard of it. It must be new.

However, there seems to be some belief that greyhounds can't use the same flea and tick stuff that other dogs can, and as far as I know from the vets on this board and others, that's just not the case. Of course SOME greyhounds are sensitive to SOME medications; but that's the same for all breeds.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Customer service seems to feel that there shouldn't be any problems. I spoke to them before I left for texas. I ended up using Frontline plus and 2 groomings with regular Frontline when I found some fleas.

The only problem the new product can only be returned if purchased from a vet. But who pays retail prices for supplies?

Guest makalataylor

Never heard of it. It must be new.

However, there seems to be some belief that greyhounds can't use the same flea and tick stuff that other dogs can, and as far as I know from the vets on this board and others, that's just not the case. Of course SOME greyhounds are sensitive to SOME medications; but that's the same for all breeds.

That's really nice to know. one of the adoption kennels I spoke with (ended up finding a better match at a nearby kennel) told me in my interview that you cannot use any other flea collar besides Seresto, nothing other than Frontline and absolutely no flea and tick prevention shampoo or flea dips at the groomer!

I usually try to buy what the vet has on sale, or I did before getting Molly but I was nervous to do anything else.

• 5 months later...

This article seems somewhat biased and I'm in no way agreeing with their recommendation to use natural products only, but this gives some info about the chemical that makes Frontline Gold different than Frontline Plus:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/03/toxic-and-unsafe-flea-and-tick-repellants-for-pets.aspx

It looks like Advantix has already been using the additional ingredient so my guess is its as "safe" as any of these other chemicals.

We've never had issues with fleas so I wouldn't use Gold and suggest for anyone who just needs tick protection that you don't either. For those that really struggle with fleas, may be this is an improvement.

My totally uneducated input.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 1 month later...

well, i just applied to as per instructions today. " start and the shoulders and apply down the back ending at the base of the tail"

with a greyhound i made it 2/3rd of the way down the back and with their short hair i have a greasy stripe! i'll let you know if i see a difference between this and the frontline plus.

One of my greys could not use Advantix. He flipped out and was rubbing his back against the wall. I am very cautious now. If that make the difference between Frontline and Frontline Gold, I won't be switchng.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

just spoke to customer service at FL, the new instructions are to spot it between the shoulders as with the older products. i guess other people were complaining about the greasy stripe down their dog's back. felix seems the same, i'll let you know if he gets any weirder than he already is!

• 1 year later...

Cleptogrey, I'm considering Frontline Gold.  Our new place is like a park, so lots of critters bringing in critters, lots of fleas, lots of mosquitoes, and I am assuming ticks as well.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014