Daily Use Of L-Theanine

Hi y'all! Johnny is still having a little trouble with noise based anxiety (stupid lawnmowers!) and some separation anxiety (just some shaking when it's time for me to go to work), so I think a daily dose of L-theanine would help him out. I ordered the 100mg capsules of the enzymatic L-theanine, I think 1 a day should be sufficient? He was a little over 80 lbs at his checkup in September.

Thanks!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

You can try one per day to start and see where it gets you, but 2 per day is a more appropriate dose for a dog his size. Violet, at low 60's takes 2 per day. You can safely give a fair amt of L-Theanine, but obviously no sense in using more than what you need. Try once per day in the AM and if you see some effect, but not as much as you'd like, go to 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM.

To give you some perspective, rather than messing with splitting capsules, when I was giving it to Skye, who is 40 lbs, she was getting 1 100 mg capsule daily.

And FWIW, I take it too. :) I take 200 mg twice a day, and in high stress times I'll take a third dose.

Just make sure you get Suntheanine (I like the Enzymatic Therapy brand) and make sure there's no Xylitol as some of them do contain it.

ETA: Actually, thinking more about the issues you are having, I would just give 2 a day to start, split over AM/PM.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks! The Composure chews work, but he will NOT take them if he has already started getting anxious (and they're expensive compared to the capsules). The landscapers have showed up on several different days now, so I'm trying to get him primed for their arrival.

I thought about doing the DAP collar, I may try it in the future.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

This is a very generic generalization, but I find DAP can be quite helpful for SA issues, while I go to Composure for generalized anxiety and L-theanine for anxiety, but specifically issues related to arousal and impulse control. I would probably do both, can't hurt, might help and you can always remove one later. I like the DAP collar. Greys can usually wear the puppy size, about $20/mo on Amazon.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

L-theanine helped Daisy the terrier settle in. She took a daily dose for months when I first adopted her and if I missed a dose she was really unsettled. I stopped a few months ago and she's fine! I take l-theanine for myself - actually just took one :lol

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!