Tough Week

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

This past Tuesday Beckett went back into Liver failure and his body shut down. So after discussing it with the vet I made the difficult decision to let him rest. Goldie and I are slipping back into an easy routine and each day's improvement is better than the last. However her bathroom schedule is all wonky now. She is constantly going in her crate; and the other day she was so scare of the car that she went in the car. I figured that she would have some difficulties after loosing Beckett but does anyone know how long it may continue? She also is rushing to swallow all of her food and running to a corner to vomit it up and then re-eat it. Now she had done this since the day I first picked her up. And I had been microwaving it with some water however I noticed some inflammation on her tongue and no longer want to prepare her food this way. Does anyone have any ideas?

Guest IndyHound

How long have you had Goldie? Has she only known being in a house with another grey and never solo?

Yes she was my 2nd greyhound. However my brothers dog is also around her a lot. But that being said they aren't always together like She and Beckett were.

Ryder only ever knew a house with another greyhound and when Kasey passed away he changed dramatically. He was his rock. Mind you, he didn't have severe changes to diet etc that you are describing, mostly he has "emotional" issues. I don't think he'll ever psychologically be the same unless I get another grey to keep him company.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

You could try to hand feed her. This way you can control how fast she eats her meal. That's the only idea I have.

And I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I'm so sorry about Beckett.

Are there others greyhounds around that she can be walked with? Or a playgroup?

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

She grieving, and also experiencing anxiety over being alone. Give her time and patience, and some extra attention. Activities where she can interact with other greyhounds will also be beneficial.

As far as the eating does, you can buy bowls with built-in bumps (called Brake-fast bowls, I think) to slow down her eating. Or you can put a couple tennis balls or an overturned cereal bowl in her current eating bowl. Putting water on her kibble wil help her eat without choking, but microwaving probably isn't necessary.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so sorry for your loss. In my experience a change in the household, be it from loss or something else, is usually adapted to pretty well by greys if their routine and support (pack) structure stays intact. A week of abnormal behavior might be expected - but get it back on track ASAP.

Don't let this turn into an issue. Pick up, power on, and support your dog to move on. Greys are highly able to handle change. Support that.

Guest Sportingfields

I am so very sorry for your loss of Beckett. They do grieve and best thing I've found is to keep them busy. Every chance you get, take Goldie for extra walks, even if they are short 10 min, figure out trips she can go with you in the car, drive up at the bank, wander around pet store and other places that are dog friendly in your town. If the weather is nice, stroll thru town and let her interact with people. If you've dog friends, fix up play dates. Go visit the oldies at a nearby senior center or assisted living facility, call first to make she sure is welcome. In my experience, tired dogs are happy dogs. It maybe take a month or so for the two of you to settle into a new normal.

It is also possible that she is picking up on your stress. She may think that Beckett went away and is anxious that she'll have to go away next. Reassurance of her place in your life and back to keeping her busy will help. If you've not done so, don't wash Beckett's blankets or toys he played with for another month. I found with my own, it helped to have those smells around in the first weeks.

Eating, fix her kibble and feed at regular times. A big cookie sheet where she has to chase the food around, obstacles to eat around can help slow down. Try feeding the first few bites, pick up dish then wait a couple of minutes and put her bowl down. Possibly getting a bit into her tummy will slow the consumption. If you have to pick up the dish one more time. I'd not microwave her food or do anything that is going to cause a problem habit on down the road, like hand feeding - you may end up doing that for the rest for her life. It may not hurt to run her thru the vet to check out her mouth. Something else may be going on that has nothing to do with the loss. :grouphug