Glucosamine For Not-Too-Bad Off Senior Gh? And The Younger Guy?

rsieg

Max is 12 years old and still walks 2-3 miles per day (total over morning and evening walks), no limping or anything, leads the walks at the end while Logan drags behind, and even runs in from the yard once in a while. But I have been noticing that he sometimes groans when he lays down, and he is becoming more reluctant to jump into the back seat of the car in spite of the fact that a walk in the park is his very favorite thing. So I asked the vet today about joint supplements, and got a recommendation of Glucosamine, the human joint supplement (not veterinary branded), 500 mg suggested as a way to save money.

So my questions are as follows:

(1) Does it make sense to start Max on that now even though he is not too bad off?

(2) Any serious side effects I should know about?

(3) Does 500 mg sound reasonable? Should I go with more? Less?

(4) Human-branded Glucosamine ok, or is there some reason I should pay more for veterinary-branded?

(5) Any suggested brands?

(6) Logan is 6 years old, but he slows down a lot on walks though again no limping, so I wonder if he is having joint problems from his racing days (or he may just be lazy/ornery). Any reason not to give him the Glucosamine as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/recommendations,

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Here's a helpful recent thread where you'll find recommendations for supplements (dog and human versions). I'm no expert, having only had one hound, but I'm of the opinion that you can't start too early with joint supplements given that these are retired athletes and their joints/muscles have been through a lot. Sweep will be 7 next month and has been on fish oil and some sort of joint supplement since about age 4. Our vet is totally on board with this and we have not seen any side effects, though it's probably wise to introduce oils slowly to prevent loose stools.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Love, love, love Next Level Liquid Joint Supplement. My 13 1/2 year old is on it and going strong. She's been on it for a few years. Recommended to me by current and past racing greyhound trainers.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Thanks for the comments. I think I am going to go for it with both dogs.

Online looks like most of the glucosomine supplements are 1500 mg, a few lower, with the following ingredients: Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM. Some specify glucosamine sulfate. The most detailed one I found specified 750mg of glucosamine sulfate, 600mg of chondroitin sulfate, and 500mg of MSM. Are any of these additives (the chondoitin and/or the MSM) things that should be avoided for dogs (or especially good for dogs)?

Thanks again,

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)