High Fiber Foods

We have an amazing person who cares for ours dogs when we are away - she works in our vets office. Long story short, we have been battling soft to liquid poos from Kirby since we brought him home. Feeding Kirkland salmon but when we were away this weekend, vet suggested Hill's W)D digestive/weight/glucose management. Fiber is 20%, protein 15% (compared to 3% fiber, 24% protein from the Kirkland).

I will of course talk to the vet but are there other high fiber, lower fat/protein foods that are not $70 for a 27.5 pound bag? :D

Thanks!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Can you add fiber manually? Oatmeal, psyllium? The science diet rx foods are rediculiouslying expensive, I'm boycotting the ID low fat. I can't afford that either. I personally called all of the dog food companies looking for a low fat food that I could afford.

My dogs did terribly on the Kirkland salmon.have you tried something bland? For a while the pups were on holistic sekect,duck and oatmeal. They did very well on that. Then the price skyrocketed.

Have you gone thru the Flagyl toute?:rice and boiled chicken,etc??

To answer the last part first - yes. Flagyl, chicken and rice, tested for worms several times.

We can add manually, was hoping to find a simple solution but we already do joint supplements so adding another shouldn't be difficult.

Olewo carrots and/or beets are a great way to go ... you reconstitute some and start mixing a small amount in with whatever dog food is working for you. Some pups (like Lukasmom's) like to eat it as a treat, but mine prefer it (like every other healthy food) hidden behind a tasty bribe. But it works, and fast (like within 12 hours).

good luck!

My dogs get oatmeal every day for their morning meal mixed with milk, rice, and fish/meat (touch of honey). I make it for the dogs fresh every day but, you can make a few days supply and keep it in the frig and then warm up and add some milk/almond milk. This helped keep one of my dog's diarrhea in check for many years. The oatmeal also helps skin conditions and in some cases, can help grow more hair on the sparser areas on the back of legs and side of chest - this was a side effect that I noticed as one of my dogs got so furry I called him my polar bear.

When Poodle was diagnosed as diabetic I told my vet no was I feeding my dog powdered celluose - which can be sawdust and many other things, but Hill' used to use peanut hulls.

Here are the first ingredients. .. "Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Sorghum, Soybean Mill Run, Chicken Liver Flavor, Pork Fat, Soybean Oil, Pork Liver Flavor", Six grains and one meat in the #4 position. If i's it it is runny poop. Iams or another food high in beet pulp might fix it.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Here are the first ingredients. .. "Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Sorghum, Soybean Mill Run, Chicken Liver Flavor, Pork Fat, Soybean Oil, Pork Liver Flavor", Six grains and one meat in the #4 position. If i's it it is runny poop. Iams or another food high in beet pulp might fix it.

This is why I sorta am boycotting the high priced hills stuff.

Talk to your local pet store and explain that you are looking for the right foid. Check on the return policies. Pet Goods is remarkable. They told me to try it,if it doesn't work just bring it back with the receipt for a full refund.

Edited by cleptogrey

Sara, Marco is on royal cabin fibre response due to his superfast motility from paralysis. When we need to,we soak a few beet pellets in boiling water and add it to his food. That add fiber and keeps stool firm.

Oh, the beet pellets come from a grain Store.

Do beet pellets come in smaller size bags these days? I know Heater (KennelMom) and AHicks42 (Aaron) tried that route several yeas ago. Heather had enough dogs to use it up but was overwhelmed. Aaron ended up giving it away if people would pay the postage.

No thanks. :) I have dogs that could thrive on tin cans now. Last night at Midnight Pitou was having a fit out back. When I opened the door he was barking at a Junebug which he promptly ate. His poop was really firm today. Guess Junebugs are a good fiber source. :)

Update: the Kirkland (Costco) weight management food is working really well for Kirby. Now just to put a few pounds on him and he will be good.

i was just at pet goods getting the dogs some low fat food and rechecked the holistic select foods to see if they have anything new. low and behold- a high fiber diet!!!http://http://www.holisticselect.com/weight-management-dry-dog-food-chicken-meal-and-peas#guaranteed-analysis

i didn't go with it even though it looks good since they are eating the blue seal low fat food right now which is chicken based. i am mixing that with which has 10% fiber http://www.nutro.com/natural-dog-food/nutro/dry/adult-lite-weight-loss-lamb-rice-recipe.aspx

i am tempted to go to straight nutro, but the dog's coats are so good on the blue seal and i do not use any supplements with it, except glucosamine/msm for their joints.