Pale Circles On Pads Of Paw

Guest Heatheredgar

Guest Heatheredgar

My grey has pale pink circles on her paws, ( like the balaclava has been worn down). We walk 3 X daily and try to stay on grass as she limps on Tarmac. Been soaking and using mushers in case of corns but can't see any change, no raised areas. Any idea what it could be ? Thanks

Sorry for laughing but the typo was hysterical! :lol

Could be a corn. Could be worn pads. Road rash. Autoimmune disorder (SLO or other) might also be a possibility. Take some white paste toothpaste and rub it over the pad, then wipe off the excess. If there's a corn errupting, it might show up that way. You can also try Therapaws to cushion and protect her feet. Most dogs will need to be introduced to wearing them slowly.

Picture?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Excellent autocorrect. :lol

Though the limping on hard surfaces could suggest a developing corn and might be worth a vet check in itself, Sweep gets those pale circles too, and they're just wear and tear. Does it look like this? (It's pinker in natural light; the flash makes it look yellower than it is. Second pic is a bit more accurate.)

20829870249_7b0f0677cf.jpg

26797724523_9071072134.jpg

These photos were taken in August last year, so it definitely wasn't a corn in our case since nothing further has developed. We do periodically apply Musher's Secret or Bag Balm, so I think it's a good thing you're already doing that.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Heatheredgar

Yes that's exactly what they look like. I don't think it's corns either, I think she just has very sensitive paws. She was on meds for arthritis, but we slowly weened her off and she was fine until she cut her leg on fencing and needed stitches. Hoping not to put her back on med as it raises her kidney levels.

Thanks for your reply

actually the very light circle lower on the second toe from left, looks very much like a corn... the slight discoloration on the upper part of the next toe looks like more wearing on that part of the toe...

I was thinking the same thing for the one on the left. I think they kind of show like that (barely) until they finally "erupt" and really start causing problems, like Larry's did. Every time we hull them they come back more painful and worse....

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

actually the very light circle lower on the second toe from left, looks very much like a corn... the slight discoloration on the upper part of the next toe looks like more wearing on that part of the toe...

I was thinking the same thing for the one on the left. I think they kind of show like that (barely) until they finally "erupt" and really start causing problems, like Larry's did. Every time we hull them they come back more painful and worse....

In our case I think this was just an especially dry/worn patch, with perhaps some caked-on dirt for good measure :blush. It never developed into anything and there's no evidence of it anymore. I realize now that the first photo's probably not the best example since the lightest patch *does* look rather corn-like, but I had these pics handy and you can see the pale pink areas the OP mentioned too. (I took these photos because we were trying to diagnose an intermittent limp, which now, 10 months and multiple vets later, we have isolated to a soft tissue problem in a toe on the opposite foot. Every centimeter of Sweep's paws has been thoroughly inspected at this point, and no corns!)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart