Insect Repellant Debacle.

Guest HeatherLee

Guest HeatherLee

Ok so here's the deal.. I have been using frontline/ Fiproguard on my hounds and it works decently. It doesn't work at well for ticks as I would like but as long as constantly check their bodies and don't let them wander in the woods (just moved to Louisiana) it seems to be ok. However.. The formula irritates the crap out of their skin. It also makes ME itchy and is goopy for days and gets all over the house and I hate it.

So I've been using eqyss marigold spray which works wonderfully and has the added bonus of making the dogs soft and shiny. But with my severe allergies and asthma certain smells really bother me and that's one of them. I don't like having breathing probs every time I spray it on. I also am sensitive to cintronella.

So what else have you found that works that doesn't have these in it? (I've also tried bounce sheets those don't work for us). It's a total pain in the butt but I'd like to have bug free dogs AND breathe at the same time.

Bravecto has been working beautifully for us. We switched when Bella caught fleas days after a dose of Frontline.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Look into Bravecto, an oral med (prescription) that you give once every 3 months. Other greyhounds have used it successfully. No scent, no greasy residue.

I got my vet to write the script for 1 dose, plus refills, for each dog. That way, I could order one dose, test it out, make sure no one got sick (my girl has trouble with the flavoring in some pet meds), and not wind up with meds I couldn't continue to use on my dog. The dogs just got their first doses yesterday, and no one's had any problem. (The girl usually has diarrhea in the first 12 hours after a med like Heartgard Plus.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I switched from Frontline Plus to Comfortis last fall after Frontline Plus failed to prevent or even slow down a flea infestation.Based on feedback here on GT, it seems many people have been finding fleas are becoming resistant to Frontline Plus. The Comfortis worked great, have not seen a single flea since switching. We just switched to Trifexis which has the same active ingredient as Comfortis and adds worm preventative. However, as I understand it neither Comfortis nor Trifexis work on ticks. I just picked up Preventic collars and will be putting them on this weekend, again based on recommendations from GT.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

We do, on the advice of our vet, break each dose in half and give it over two days with meals to keep stomach upset to a minimum. We haven't had issues but it is a simple precaution.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20