Completely Split Webbing, But No Blood; How Is That Possible?

Just noticed my boy licking his toe. "What wrong with your toe, bubba? Let me look." To my shock, the webbing between his middle toes is completely split! It's oozing slightly but not bleeding. There no blood on the carpet or any of the beds. He's been running in the yard today & acting completely happy until just now when he stopped, partway across the room, to lick his foot. Presumably it happened on his last trip out. It's on his bad foot where he has two corns, a previously broken toe, & an arthritic ankle. He always limps somewhat on that foot but the limp appears no worse than usual. I've no idea when this may have happened.

How can a webbing be that badly split without any signs of blood? I'm mystified.

Larry has split his 3 different times. The first time, so deeply, that the vet stitched it. The other 2, we just wrapped it up so he wouldn't lick it. It's a PAIN to heal too. Sorry he's going through it! I don't think there's many blood vessels in that tissue so maybe that's why it doesn't bleed....

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I don't think there's many blood vessels in that tissue so maybe that's why it doesn't bleed....

I don't think so - Merlin did just the same thing today and his webbing split pretty badly and there was blood EVERYWHERE. He left a blood trail all over the first floor before DH noticed :mad

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

The webbing could have been already compromised by his other issues, and when it actually parted, there weren't any viable blood vessels feeding the area.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The webbing could have been already compromised by his other issues,

Perhaps? He had a partial tear many months ago. It bled a good bit initially. It seemed to heal fairly well, but there was a thickened strip of scar tissue. This time it's split completely, no signs of webbing left. The edges of each toe are raw & oozing a very pale serum. Am planning just let it heal as is. Stitches seem pointless as I doubt those would hold & would make him much more uncomfortable than he is now.

I don't think so - Merlin did just the same thing today and his webbing split pretty badly and there was blood EVERYWHERE. He left a blood trail all over the first floor before DH noticed :mad

Poor Merlin. Sol & I send our sympathy.

The webbing could have been already compromised by his other issues, and when it actually parted, there weren't any viable blood vessels feeding the area.

Must be, because whenever I've dealt w/webbing tears it looks like a serial kiler's been in my house. Good healing thoughts for everyone's pups with webbing tears.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.