Aiden's Toe. Update: We Have A Plan! Update Post-Surgery

Just dropped them off :( Aiden was so confused this morning when no breakfast was served but being the awesome fellow that he is, there was no stinkeye :wub: Thanks for the good thoughts, waiting is so hard. Will pupdate asap.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Update in post #1 - Aiden is home :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 1 month later...
Guest Magzy68

My pup just had the same thing happen! I typed in "sliced toe" and was surprised to find this exact issue. I'm thinking he did it running or digging, maybe even in the doggie kiddie pool. I was wondering all of your thoughts on whether to take him to the vet for stitches? It is a deep slice, but is not bleeding heavily anymore. I have him wrapped in paper towels and a sock and he's not bleeding through. Should I wait and see how it looks tmr? Or will it probably just heal on its own? He's not bothered by it in the least bit and shows no signs of pain when I touch it. Thanks for your advice everyone!

My pup just had the same thing happen! I typed in "sliced toe" and was surprised to find this exact issue. I'm thinking he did it running or digging, maybe even in the doggie kiddie pool. I was wondering all of your thoughts on whether to take him to the vet for stitches? It is a deep slice, but is not bleeding heavily anymore. I have him wrapped in paper towels and a sock and he's not bleeding through. Should I wait and see how it looks tmr? Or will it probably just heal on its own? He's not bothered by it in the least bit and shows no signs of pain when I touch it. Thanks for your advice everyone!

Ouch, sorry your pup is dealing with this too. If I knew then how this would play out, I would have taken Aiden in for sutures right away. His toe slice happened in the exact same spot FIVE times, crime scene every time, and each episode took longer to seemingly resolve. It has been almost two months since his surgery and his toe is looking really good. The weather has gotten warm hot all of a sudden and he doesn't feel like blasting around so there hasn't been an opportunity for him re-injuring it while running. We left the sutures in - he is great about not messing with them - and I am cautiously optimistic about the toe healing completely. tbhounds' suggestion of Elasticon tape is a good one and we will do that. Good luck!

Guest Magzy68

Glad to hear Aiden is healing well! This is the first time it has happened and I sure hope it won't be a reoccurring thing (fingers crossed). I'll see how it looks in the morning I guess and go from there. Do you wrap the single toe with the elasticon tape? Or the whole paw?

Glad to hear Aiden is healing well! This is the first time it has happened and I sure hope it won't be a reoccurring thing (fingers crossed). I'll see how it looks in the morning I guess and go from there. Do you wrap the single toe with the elasticon tape? Or the whole paw?

From post #3: I ended up taping that toe with elasticon tape (after the sutures were removed) to support that area hoping in time the scar tissue formed would be enough to prevent it from reopening. Knock wood things seem to be holding--it's been over a year now.

:)

Guest Magzy68

We got back at 4am from an e-vet trip. Turns out Kramer basically amputated his own toe. He's now a 9 digit doggie and has to wear a cone for 2 weeks. Hoping for a speedy recovery! He never showed an ounce of pain though.

We got back at 4am from an e-vet trip. Turns out Kramer basically amputated his own toe. He's now a 9 digit doggie and has to wear a cone for 2 weeks. Hoping for a speedy recovery! He never showed an ounce of pain though.

Good grief Gracie, guess Kramer answered that question for you :rolleyes: Good healing thoughts for your nine-digit boy!