Food Strike!

spottydog

Django has gone on a food strike for better rations, it seems. I've changed up the kibble, put on every kind of extra topping, sardines, cheese, sour cream, all things that have worked before. He doesn't even come out for meals despite hearing his brother clanging away in the kitchen eating his stuff.

People food, now that's a different story, so I don't think he has a medical issue. He had a complete work up late this fall for a dental, and all was good. He is 11, but in fighting form, and is energetic as always. How do I draw the line in the sand? He's of normal weight so I suppose could go a few days without eating but I haven't had the courage. Advice?

He won't starve himself. So, unless he has a medical issue that precludes fasting, I would take a hard line for several days and see what happens. That means no treats and no people food during the in-between times, too!! :shakefinger Fix his food, put it down, wait until the other dog is done with his food, then pick up the picky eaters. Save it for the next meal. If it gets too mushy for you, let the other dog have it for his meal next time, and start fresh for Mr Picky.

Have you tried soaking the kibble until it's soft? You can use chicken broth or water. He just might be over all the crunching!

However, I will also say, that at 11 years old, he's earned the right to eat what he wants! Again, provided there's no medical issues, you might try feeding him a canned food diet, or one of the good commercial raw foods that are available now. If money isn't an issue, The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw product looks awesome. Lots of senior dogs do very well when switched to raw later in life. It just seems to put that spark back in them.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You could probably just leave food out for a day or two and he would eventually eat. I know that is what most people say. Forcing a dog to eat something basically out of desperation/starvation isn't really normal or natural for a dog in my opinion though. Dog's naturally love food, so if they won't eat, it is usually for a reason.

There are some really simple add-ins that you can make to mix in with kibble (even just some rice and meat). People seem to have this idea that (healthy) add ins are "bad" but I think they are great. You REALLY have to mix it into the kibble well though so that each piece is coated it the flavour. Also, our petstores here carry ground up liver powder. The smell makes most dogs go crazy. I have a super picky dog and sometimes just a sprinkle entices him to eat. Dogs eat mostly by smell, not flavour :)

Edited by RedHead

Was it a new bag and might it be off?? that was my first thought.

Or, our hounds just sometimes get tired of the same food, after having eaten it for a couple of years or so. I change the flavor of the same brand first, then move on to a new brand if needed. It has worked so far. Ours have no allergies or anything like that.

Having said that, our 12 year old does not eat as much as he used to.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Mine are both 11 and are more picky than they used to be. I just give them lots of variety, including raw and home-cooked and plenty of treats. I figure at their age they've earned it and it's more important to me that they enjoy their food than that I win some sort of battle of wills. That probably wasn't very helpful was it.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

• 4 weeks later...

Butthead, er Mason was also on a food strike. He finally lost enough weigh that I got worried. I switched foods thinking he was tired of his food (he did that before) and that did the trick. We switched from Iams green bag to Purina Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Let's just say the boy is making up for lost time. :)!

My 10 year old Wendy has started pulling the same stunt. Skips breakfast one day, scarfs it down the next...same with dinner. I feed her Wellness CORE kibble, switching the flavor each time I buy a bag, and a variety of canned add-in's from tripe to sardines. Her health is fine and she's maintaining her weight but it is distressing to me when she skips a meal.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".