Low Protein Low Phosphorus Food For Dog With Kidney Disease

Guest kar

I had a recent freak out about Rainy's kidneys. She's fine, but I learned that green tripe is the completely balanced perfect kidney diet. I assumed that meant fresh green tripe. I've never used the canned stuff, so am not sure if there are additives.

Just use disposable gloves to touch the stuff! That smell.....

------

Jessica

when my scottie showed signs of kidney disease my kind vet knew that i could not afford the rx diet. i fed him rice for YEARS!!!! go know, we stayed away from protein and he lived another 4-6 years on what the rest of the world lives on- rice! the rx diets are wonderful for the select pet owners who can afford them. i recently spoke to science diet/hills and asked if they had any programs for individuals who can't afford their pricey but excellent diets, they offered coupons.

just found this http://dogaware.com/health/kidneynonprescription.html

anyone else know of any thing else in a dry dog food other than green tripe? I don't think mine would eat it.

Yes they would. Most dogs LOVE it. One of mine with serious kidney disease made it to almost 15 yoa on raw green tripe. It is the best thing for kidney compromised dogs.

Most dog foods designed for dogs with kidney disease require a prescription from a vet. You can make a home made diet that fits the requirements of a dog with kidney disease.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Science Diet Active Longevity is available without RX and has lower protein and phosphorous. I think it's 19% protein (min16%) and 0.6-0.7 phos. I have Carlos on it after clearing up some issues with Hills Prescription Diet U/D, and he does well on it.

It isn't rx like Hills U/D, so I would carefully monitor him to be sure it is doing what you need it to, but its the best readily available low protein/low phos I have found that can be bought without a prescription (Amazon, Petsmart). In our case it is doing the job.

Edited by GreytXpctations