I Give Up

Hester ignores most dogs he passes, though most turn to follow him and stuff their noses up his butt. He ignores the small ones and he will sniff the odd female. Males that cross the line are treated to a terrifying escalating display of growling, angry barking, and teeth. He gives no quarter, doesn't matter what the other dog is like. Earlier this week he turned around two massive Leonbergers that had charged him and drove them across a field back to their owner.

Yesterday Hester met a 15 year old male German Sheppard on our morning walk; a real ancient fellow. The Sheppard tottered over to Hester, they sniffed each other and then the Sheppard just leaned into Hester's side in much the same way that some of our Greys are leaners. Hester balanced himself against the weight of the Sheppard and then wrapped his neck over top of and around the Sheppard's neck and held him in a tight "hug" with his chin for about two minutes. The other dog's owner and I just stood there with our jaws on the ground. After 5 years, finally, affection toward another dog. Maybe he was giving comfort? Do dogs even do that?

I give up. Despite making a study of his behaviour and canine behaviour in general, I admit that I really have no idea of his feelings, nor can I predict his behaviour. My guess would have been that Hester would have stepped away and let any dog that leaned against him fall, or he might have brought out the teeth. I assume the condition of the old dog changed the plan. He is wonderful and I feel guilty for constantly underestimating him.

Edited by KickReturn

Max had a similar situation. He shows dominance and growls at almost any dog we meet. But there was one couple in our neighborhood who adopted a senior dog, something like 14 yo but still in good shape and walked well (eventually passed due to kidney failure). Max would never bark at that dog, and we could let them meet, they would sniff each other briefly and that was it. Apparently he could tell she was not going to be aggressive, and she never was. I think dogs pick up on non-verbal queues between each other, maybe pheromones or other odors, that we cannot possibly hope to detect.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

As the caregiver/loving mum to a 13.4 yo tottery old man, I thank Hester from the bottom of my heart for his compassion/respect & dignity he allowed that old fellow.

You got a real gem, there......you know that, right? I know you do, just had to mention it again.

I would also like to respectfully request a photo of the handsome hunk now & again.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Dogs like Hester make one believe in reincarnation. He is Buddha in a dog suit.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Photos because you asked.

Yes he is a great dog and it is a shame that I cannot take on additional Greys. He would be such a good guide for dogs fresh off the track. What he really wants is a female Whippet. He loves them, more than female Greys. He goes nuts when he sees a whippet, no idea why he prefers them to Greys. But we travel too much to be able to find a place for more then just Hester for weeks at a time.

This evening's walk in our neighbourhood. He knows the route so he often strolls as much as a block ahead. He always stops at intersections to wait for me to catch up and do the crossing with him. He noticed I stopped to take a photo so he stopped - good boy:

Evening%20walk%20Feb%202016%20edit.jpg

Gratuitous headshot, always so darn serious and composed:

Hester%20Head%20Shot.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

Greyhound-to-Greyhound head rests/hugs are very common in our pack. Also by other hounds at Greyhound events, Meet and Greets, etc. Many hounds do that behavior when they're tired. One of our hounds stands with her head pushed flat against her sister's side while her sister is in an extreme panic from fireworks, or SA. They are wonderfully sensitive beings.