Homemade Midnight Snack?

Guest Bardsmom

Guest Bardsmom

My 4 year old Grey has been with us for over a year, and has consistently awoken early in the morning (4am-5am) hungry. If we feed him his breakfast, he goes back to sleep and sleeps as long as we sleep (as late as 9-9:30am on the weekends) without issue. I am hoping by feeding him a snack late at night (my fiancee is a night owl and generally doesn't come to bed until midnight or so) we can get him to sleep a bit later. I generally feed breakfast (to my other dog prior to us adopting Bard) at 8am and dinner at about 7pm. Anyone find success with this method? Any good recipes for a snack that will satisfy him from about midnight to 8am?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

I would suggest maybe stuffing a kong for him. You can stuff it with almost any dry food (kibble, liver treats, etc) and then add a wet food like peanut butter, canned food, yogurt, cheese, leftover meat scraps etc. Put it in the freezer and it will be a perfect midnight snack :)

Edited by RedHead

You can hold back about a 1/4 of his dinner kibble, then add a scoop of cottage cheese, canned food, veggies - whatever he likes. If you want to go whole hog and actually cook something for him there are tons of website and recipes out there for crock pot dog food that are really decent.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

One of my dogs is a seizure dog so, she gets frequent meds that are outside the normal feeding times so, they get a few snacks during the day (have to do all the dogs) which I have listed below --

- slice of cheese

- 2 tablespoons of yogurt with 1 tablespoon of applesauce (they get this around 9pm at night)

- slice of toast with butter (their favorite is challah bread)

- few potato chips (no salt)

- tablespoon of peanut butter

Guest Bardsmom

I love the suggestion of 1/2 a pb sandwich, because just about every night my fiancee has a pb toast for a nighttime snack! I'm going to make him share it with Bard tonight! :nod He's a total piggie when it comes to food, I've tried different brands/types of dry kibble and he doesn't seem to have a very...refined...palate. But even a high fiber food does not seem to keep him full for very long, he seems hungry a lot. He is not overweight, he's only about 5 lbs over his racing weight, but he is a big boy at 87 lbs. I was hoping adding some high fiber foods (I was thinking of some mix of oatmeal and some peas/spinach/pumpkin meatloaf) would make him feel fuller longer.

I was hoping adding some high fiber foods (I was thinking of some mix of oatmeal and some peas/spinach/pumpkin meatloaf) would make him feel fuller longer.

I do the Olewo carrots at dinnertime for my boy, Wolfie, because no matter what, he always acts like he's starving! Lots of fiber, but easy on calories.