Grey Won't Wear Boots.

Guest ossim

Has anyone had any experience with their grey not wanting to wear their boots in winter? Ours is refusing to allow us to put hers on now since its snowed which is surprising because we have put them on her before (the rubbery pawz) to allow her to play at the dog park nearby which was paved so we had to prevent injury to her paws. But its a violent reaction as she snaps at us fiercely. We also tried more normal boots that you slip on but still no Bueno. We tried to use a muzzle to prevent the snapping but she yelps like she's in pain and turns away whenever we attempt to get near her with them. But that being said, she has no issues with handing me her paw for treats or walking on them so I don't think there's physically anything wrong with her. Its cold and icy out now in Chicago and I don't feel comfortable walking with her extensively without a form of feet protection.

Thanks

To be honest, my dogs don't wear boots all that often. There have been a couple of occasions where temps have dipped below zero and there was a lot of snow and ice on the ground and boots became necessary. I knew it was time to bring them out when they couldn't go more than a few steps before their little paws would freeze up and they'd start limping a bit.

If you are worried about the pads of her paws, you can try using a balm to help keep them moisturized and protected from salt. I use good old fashioned Bag Balm (http://www.amazon.com/Bag-Balm-80z-8-ounce/dp/B00FNKXZLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448301541&sr=8-1&keywords=bag+balm+8oz). Musher's Secret is another good product (http://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secret-Pet-Paw-Protection/dp/B0002XIZXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448301569&sr=8-1&keywords=musher%27s+secret).

Good luck!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Mine never wear boots. They hate them. I use Mushers Secret to protect their paws and I also stop to rub their paws in my hands, as needed. I live in Canada.

http://musherssecret.net/

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Some dogs really hate having their feet messed with, so you may just not be able to put boots on. In Cleveland I find that my dogs are ok without any foot covering down to 20 degrees F for walks of a half-hour or longer -- below that the snow starts freezing to their feet once we have gone a couple houses down, so below 20 degrees F they are pretty much stuck with going in the back yard to relieve themselves. You can watch your dog, if she starts picking up her feet or licking them they are getting too cold. If possible you may want to break up the walks more, so if you usually go for 45 minutes may try two 25 minute walks instead, that way she warms her feet up in-between.

On the other hand, some of the Canadian folks on GT seem to be able to take their dogs on extended walks in much colder weather than 20 F, not sure how they do it (I guess Canadian dogs are tougher :-)

Also remember that salt is bad for their feet, so try to avoid it. Easier said than done, we have a few neighbors on our walk who believe salt is meant to be POURED onto the sidewalk.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Your dog doesn't need boots.

Look around you. How many other dogs are wearing boots? The only time I even think about it is when we have snow with a crust of ice on top because the ice tends to cut their ankles. But the paws themselves are not markedly different from "regular" dog paws!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Pre greyhounds I lived in Chicago in a condo with a Yorkie. He had boots but hated them. We just solved that problem by just not going on extensive walks when it was bitter cold. :) This included 1994 when it reached 21 below zero. Out to potty and back in to play with toys, etc. If I'd have had a yard walks would have been suspended totally.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Greyhound foot pads are pretty much like any other dog....they shouldn't need boots for warmth unless there is extreme cold. They will likely need boots if you are walking in areas with salt though. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother if your pup hates them that much. I carry boots in a bag on really cold days just in case my guy starts limping and holding up his paws. That is the only time I put them on (and he HATES them, but it basically gets us home!).

The musher's secret is a good thing to put on which adds some protection.

As said above by most, I don't put boots on Annie. I might put a balm of some sort on her feet but that's not often and honestly, if the weather is so bad that I think I should do that, then it's too bad for me/us to be out walking. Annie sometimes gets a snowball between her toes. She stops, picks up the offending foot, gives me "that" look and I remove it.

As others have said...boots are not needed unless there is a lot of salt.

Perhaps it is the style of boot she is reacting to.

We have used those Paws boots and they can be difficult and awkward to put on ... Maybe they are too tight.

We have some simple little cotton musher boots that we have occasionlly used.

If you really feel the need for boots, maybe you should try the fabric type that have Velcro adjustments.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg