The Police Dog

My Hester continues his unusual habit of controlling and disciplining dogs whose behaviour doesn't live up to his expectations. We were at a large enclosure of probably 30 acres that is a well attended area dog park. After we made our tour of the perimeter we went to greet the cluster of people and dogs near the entrance. There were probably 15 to 20 dogs in various levels of engagement, some sniffing, some chasing, some wrestling. Every imaginable breed and size (Chihuahua to St Bernard inclusive), in groups of 3, 4 or 5 - it had the makings of the classic dog park disaster.

But not to fear, Hester went into overdrive moving from group to group, breaking up wrestling matches that he felt were getting too rough, growling at any large males that were looking a bit too proud, and keeping all the puppies (yes people bring their puppies) in line. At one point a one or two year old un-neutered Vizla decided to mount a Whippet. Well that just won't fly in Hester's park. In a flash Hester had the thing headed in the other direction. It was the first time I had heard him bark in 8 months. The Vizla returned and I swear Hester just raised an eyebrow and the thing dropped into a sphynx position and wouldn't move while Hester just stared at him. At one point he literally punted a French bulldog puppy whose idea of play was to leap at Hester's face. It was bizarre and comical - like a football player kicking. He sort of wound up and booted the thing out of the air.

This went on for about 30 minutes, with Hester making repeated forays into the mayhem. And after each session of keeping the dog park safe, he would return to me happy as can be and very proud of himself. He seems to really love doing this "job".

Hereare a couple of photos from the place though from a different day:

030.jpg

IMG_20150510_170107875%20edit.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

Yeah, Col does the same thing when we are at the sighthound park. And when there is nothing to do for him he sneaks up on the other dogs' owners and tries to get some cake, pie, biscuits or whatever we have.

We meet every saturday and sell cake, coffee, some dog stuff like selfmade collars. The money goes to an adoption group that brings galgos from Spain to Germany.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).