Potty And Feeding Schedules That Work For You

Guest TeriD

Hello....new grey parent here and I'm a little perplexed.

Unfortunately the first full day of Rosey being home she's had diarrhea. Last night was awful. She messed in her crate around 12:30. Then again around 2am. I learned my lesson at that point and took her out every time I heard her move in her crate. 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6am. May seem like overkill but she went every time. She's eating and drinking water but I will be calling a vet in the am.

Anyway....I know a natural routine will emerge but I'm impatient at the moment. I'm a stay at home mom so I have the opportunity to watch her cues but if I can start my own routine that she follows I'll be much happier. What works for you? And what did you go through the first couple of weeks to get your grey on a schedule? I have to say that I'm fairly certain she's getting the gist and trying to let me know when she needs to go when she's already in her crate. It's outside of the crate that I'm nervous about.

TIA!!

In a case of diarrhea. I do not feed for the first day, only give water. The next day I start with little portions of mashed potatoes (no milk or butter, just water) and cottage cheese. After that it gets back to normal food.

Some nux vomica might also help.

In your case I think it could be stress because of the new home and the many changes in her life.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

As for the schedule, the first few weeks was : Everytime he got up from his bed - outside!!!

Eventually, he learned that a walk means "Do your business we are leaving you alone or sleeping and we won't be disturbed". So here it goes :

5h30 : Up - feeding time
5h32 (whenever he finishes) : Out - Pee
6h15 : Walk - p&p
Here I leave for work after the walking
4h15 : Walk - p&p
5h15 : Feeding
6h30 : Play time in yard - pee
7h30-8h : Walk - pee and seldom poo

The walks are about 20 to 30 minutes long

Hope that helps :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

One day, and you're impatient? Try to relax!

Adopting an adult dog who isn't used to living in a house is basically the same as getting a puppy. You need to act as if this dog is just a baby and knows NOTHING. It's up to you to guide her. But if she's not feeling well, your first step (and I see you've got it planned) is take her to the vet.

Good luck. It will get better!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest DarkHorse

I work from home, so for the first week, it was out every 2 hours or so between 8 am and 12 pm, plus usually one trip in the night, Once they had established that outside was where they would go, I started cutting back on trips. First, I dropped the 10am, 2pm, and 8pm trips, so they would go out at 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 6pm, 10pm, 12pm. Then I merged the 4pm and 6pm trips to a single 5pm outing and moved the 10pm walk to 9pm. Then I finally dropped the noon pee-break. So now they get fed around 7:30, go out just after, then get fed again around 5 and go out after that, then we have a nice long walk around 9 (usually about an hour long) and then one last out before bed (usually around 11-12pm).

With diarrhoea, you're definitely going to have to put her out every time she shows she needs to until she's more solid. Even with our schedule, we do put someone out if they're pacing around restlessly, as the new boys are still not 100% solid. Dexter's bad for getting diarrhoea in the middle of the night too, so there have been numerous times that we've been woken up at 3 or 4 am by him pacing to rush him outside to let it out.

One day, and you're impatient? Try to relax!

Adopting an adult dog who isn't used to living in a house is basically the same as getting a puppy. You need to act as if this dog is just a baby and knows NOTHING. It's up to you to guide her. But if she's not feeling well, your first step (and I see you've got it planned) is take her to the vet.

Good luck. It will get better!

You sound like my husband 😆😆😆 I do need to relax....I can't help it.

And I have to say that she is just an angel and she is picking up on this potty thing very quickly! In fact she won't budge if she doesn't have to go. Going to the vet today. Hopefully she will be feeling better in no time.

*lets hope I can get her in the car 😳

You can't really establish a schedule while she has a digestive issue. Get that taken care of and the rest should sort itself out. Put her on the schedule that works for YOU not the other way around. She will be way more adaptive than a human schedule. Get up when you need to get up, out a couple times a day for exercise, a couple times for potties, last outs right before bed. A healthy adult dog should not have to go more than a couple times a day (usually right after eating), and should easily hold it all night.

5:30am - breakfast and potty trip

10-11am - 30 minutes outside for exercise

1-2pm - outside for exercise

4:30pm - dinner and potties

9:00pm - last outs

10pm - bed

1am - potties when Dad gets up

Often they do not go whenever we're outside. They have plenty of opportunity, but usually only go 2-3 times during the day. And yes, my DH is weird and gets up at 1am. :youcrazy:dunno

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've had my boy nearly 8 weeks now.

Upset tummy is NORMAL, they are adjusting to new home, new food and under stress. BUT a vet check for a new dog is always good. Lots will do a free rescue dog check over, give out the heartworm prescription and talk about flea control. Make sure the vet KNOWS greyhounds.

First day I had my boy, well we got off easy. Other then looking like a cow had been in my yard, he did well.

BUT we took him out every hour to potty, and twice during the night (like 2am and 4 am).for the first two nights we had him

After that night we set the routine.

6am walk

6:40 breakfast

7:00 play time/potty

7:30 we leave for work

12:30, potty break

5:30pm potty break

6pm walk

7pm dinner

7:30pm potty break

10pm potty break

10:30pm bed time.

Only a few times has he needed to go out during the night to pee, usually when we get up to go after the day has been really hot and more water drunk then normal.

He still has loose poop that we are trying to fix.

Never had an accident in the house.

We also installed a dog door for daytime potty while we are at work, he pretty much sleeps from 8-12, goes potty then plays/sleeps until 4:30pm and goes potty.

We keep this routine every day, night walk might change if its too hot (over 75'f), we wait until later.

Edited by xengab