Asking For Prayers, Tail And Toenail Injuries

Urismom

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LazyBlaze

Yeah it looks great, it has healed really nicely. Either dry bandage, or muzzle with stool guard (or a rotation of both maybe?) just to make sure he can't lick at it for a few weeks more until that skin is stronger. Hopefully he won't be too interested in licking at it after that. It's unlikely the fur will grow back except on parts where the injury was superficial, but it will soon grow round about it and cover it up.

:ghplaybow

Fingers crossed for his toe too!

Thank you everyone for the input! I guess we'll stop gooping the tail wound, and move on to a dry padded bandage for a few weeks. I am so grateful to God that it seems like the tail is out of the woods and we've avoided amputation.

I was wondering if maybe a new toenail is starting to try to come through the hole, and that's why all of a sudden, his toe has opened up again and he's obsessed with it now.

• 2 weeks later...

So discouraged - after 6.5 great weeks (we stopped moist bandaging a week ago but have been keeping it fully dry bandaged and padded for one week)....beautiful pink skin, smooth, no scab... Well today I lost track of him for about 15 minutes, without his muzzle, and by the time I got back to him, he had pulled the bandage down enough to get at the wound and he licked it raw. Opened it up again, bloodied. I am so disappointed and discouraged. We prevented him from getting a lick in for nearly 7 weeks! And so nice and healed...and now it's all raw and open and bloody again, and plus it has his tongue bacteria to boot for the first time since the ER vet gave it a good cleaning.

So we went back to manuka honey and a wet bandage. And now he'll have to be muzzled constantly, unless he's in a room with me with the door closed, and I feel like that will be for months and months, and he hates it wearing it. And he licks the inside of it during the night over and over and over and keeps my husband and I awake. I have been letting him overnight without the muzzle for about a week, but now I'll put it back on again. I feel like I can't imagine a time -- since it probably won't grow hair there -- that he won't be interested and obsessively want to lick it. He is such a licker. And I can't fathom that fragile skin is ever going to get tough enough to withstand that tongue.

Just had to vent - thanks for listening! I really hope it heals up quickly from this setback.

Well, drat. But hang in there. It'll heal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm a big fan of soft laser therapy when dealing with open wounds. Andy had a big hole on his hip right down to the muscle, like a triangle. We went to laser therapy 3 times a week and after 3 months it was finally healed.

The laser help with the healing, activated the wound edges and promotes tissue perfusion.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Thank you all for the suggestions. I changed the bandage last night and it looks ok, but like we've been set back maybe 3 weeks worth on the one side. Last night we discovered that the muzzle, from so much use, is starting to irritate and cut into the top of his nose. We wrapped the harsh edge of the plastic with paper towel for padding last night, it had a bit of blood on it this morning. The muzzle seems to be really our only hope for him not getting at the tail. The hood didn't work, and I'm not sure the tail sling would - I think that prevents wagging but in those pictures, it looked like the dog could still access the tail while laying down. We'll continue to build up the padding on the muzzle edge and put ointments on the face too.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about Uri and his tail - how's he doing now? Keeping fingers crossed for you that he's healing up well again.

Aw, thanks for asking! I think his tail is doing well, although I still keep it bandaged at all times though not moist, and I muzzle him when I'm not with him. Tuesday night I let him sit with it unbandaged in the room with me for a few hours and he did not seem obsessed with it, so I am trying to be hopeful that at some point, we can let it go free and he won't damage it again. But most other times, he seems pretty obsessed when the bandage is off. He hates the muzzle so I try to be with him as much as possible so that he doesn't have to wear it. In the last few days, it seems he has started limping a bit on that foot where the toenail is growing back in, wish it wasn't hurting him, but also hoping that is indeed the problem so that it's not something worse. He has a yearly vet appt next week so I'll ask about that.

This pic was taken last week - it looks better now that the hair has grown in on the sides and the top, but that middle part will probably always be exposed.

wound-progress-11.05.15.jpg

Guest LazyBlaze

:thumbs-up So glad it has healed over again. With a bit of luck it will get a bit fluffier round the outsides of the scar and cover it over some, and Uri will eventually lose interest. Keep on truckin'.

Hope his toe feels better soon too. Give him a cuddle from me, brave boy that he is!

• 1 month later...

We have a great update on Uri's tail that I thought would be best demonstrated by this video of him having what looks like the happiest dream ever. What a joy.

As of Thanksgiving weekend, we began letting him go un-bandaged, using very strong bitter yuck spray from the vet to deter him from licking. The fur from the top and sides has indeed grow in, almost covering the visual evidence of the large scar, and definitely giving it some floof and padding. After a few weeks of the bitter spray, he has completely lost interest and it doesn't seem to bother him at all! It was a long 3 months but this video makes it all worth it! Thank you to everyone for your advice and encouragement, we really used a lot of group suggestions and helped save the tail!

:) :) :) :) :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.