Fleas Are Still Here

MattB

Both my hounds had fleas, I first used shampoo which did nothing then used Frontline and still found fleas a few days later. We went away to the countryside shortly after treatment where there were lots of sheep and the couple of ticks that they each got died and came off easily so the treatment seemed to work in that respect but they remained itchy and I've just found fleas on both of them again. In both cases it was just a couple - literally I found 2 fleas on each of them and I combed them both for ages. I was going to treat again with Frontline (and I could be wrong) but with the itching I'm not sure that the fleas have ever completely gone away. We did everything that was suggested in the instructions re: cleaning the house and washing bedding on hot washes.

I'm just wondering what people would suggest - we've previously had a hedgehog (although not seen for a while) in the garden so I wondered if the dogs could be picking them up from the grass outside. Are there any treatments which people could recommend? (we're in the UK).

Can fleas be kept away by combing alone or is this wishful thinking?

Frontline is being shown to not be effective anymore. Comfortis is what is recommended now.

Remember to wash all the bedding, vaccuum the house and treat the home for fleas too.

I am in the UK too, and have switched from Frontline to Advocate, on the advice of the vet and our greyhound rescue.

Frontline as you say no longer seems totally effective and on the plus side Advocate also deals with lungworm, which is a growing risk at least here in the SE - I'd suggest checking with your vet re conditions where you are.

Unfortunately the Advocate is prescription only - but my vet was happy to write me a prescription for the whole 12 months, so I could buy it more cheaply online.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Agreed on frontline no longer being effective for most areas. If you think there's a chance they're picking them up in a specific area outside, I suggest try sprinkling food grade diatomaceous earth there. You can also sprinkle it on carpets if you think there might some fleas still in the house.

Comfortis.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

comfortis and call the manufacturer and complain they may give you additional instructions as to when i can be reapplied. they will ask for the lot #, maybe you can get a credit or refund.

i use frontline plus and had a lousy case of hitch hikers coming home from texas. i combed the dogs daily w/ a flea comb, it was easy to kill the fleas since they were dying. in 4 days they were flea free. i am also totally neurotic and shook the bedding out, we were driving, every night. i sucked up any dying hitch hikers when i returned home with my trusty vacuum cleaner. i guess i was lucky and being neurotic pays off.