Hi all, I need some wisdom.

Jack hurt his paw in March-April and there was a little break of his pad. He was limping of course, so we soaked his foot, put some antibiotical cream and covered it when he was walking outside. It took maybe 2 weeks and the limping was gone, he was walking and playing normally, but there was always a little dot that stayed there, that we assumed was a kind of scar. When he got hurt, we could not get anything out, there didn't seem to be any foreign object either.

Last week-end, he ran like any other greyhound, but ran on some rocks and started limping again. Turned out the problem comes from the exact same pad as last time and same area. coincidence? I don't think so. This time, there isn't any break of the skin, no swelling that we can see. He uses his paw to some extend, but when running, he will run on 3 paws. If we press on the region, he yelps, it doesn't come from the leg or anything, it is really the pad.

My question is : What is it and what can we do? We don't feel like it is a foreign object, unless something stayed in there from last Spring, in which case wouldn't it have bothered him beforehand as well?

We don't feel like it is a corn as there is no definite edge. Although he walks better on grass than any hard surface, but it came a little bit sudden to be a corn.

Can greyhound gets wart, and did he step on something that could have triggered pain?

Thank you, here are some pictures of the pad

Post-soaking

11923237_10154210656524478_7386341763438

Pre soaking and side

11051850_10154215016404478_5143430354162

11889641_10154215016394478_5577274636622

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Still going with not-a-corn! ;) It really looks like either a deep, tiny poke, or a foreign body left over from last Spring maybe - a small sliver of glass, or some sort of seed (do you all have foxtails up there in Canada Land?). The pad itself look sort of swollen in the side view - rounded instead of flat on the bottom.

You need something to draw out whatever is in there, I'm thinking. Not sure what that is though if the epsom salts soaks don't do it.

Kisses for Captin Jack! :kiss2

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh Chris, I was hoping you would change your mind maybe hahaha. Ok so I will continue the soaking and see how it evolves. It hasn't changed since March so that is why I find that strange if it is a foreign object. Hopefully it will resolve by itself and we will investigate more if need be... In the meantime, if anyone thinks of anything else we could do, let me know!

No, his foot hasn't been x-rayed as last time it healed fairly quickly. I am wondering if an x-ray would be useful as if it is not metal or rocks, it will probably not show since it is very small, would it? (i.e. glass, wood)

Hey a Kiowa pup! Glad to meet one of his >3000 siblings :P That would make a great party wouldn't it?

No, his foot hasn't been x-rayed as last time it healed fairly quickly. I am wondering if an x-ray would be useful as if it is not metal or rocks, it will probably not show since it is very small, would it? (i.e. glass, wood)

Hey a Kiowa pup! Glad to meet one of his >3000 siblings :P That would make a great party wouldn't it?

It should show. The wound on Gilly's toe was the same as your pups. The particles of sand in Gilly's toe pad showed on the rads. There was one piece that was thisclose to bone that the vet really had to dig for. His foot was almost healed and he managed to pick up another microscopic piece of sand and back we went. Vet said he was going to start saving Gilly sand and build a sandbox for the kids. Cheeky man.

Wouldn't it be fun if they were all cow doggies!