Slow Recovery From Toe Amputation

Guest rocdoc76

Guest rocdoc76

Our lovely 7 year old boy Santos had to have his outside toe on his left front foot amputated. He was running around in the yard and came up limping and upon examination his outside toe was loose. The vet x-rayed it and found that he had fractured the first bone in at least three places. She was not optimistic that she could splint it and we decided to move forward with amputation. It has now been five weeks and his wound is finally healing, he did pop a sutre in his second week of recovery which required an additional one. He also developed two pressure sores which are now closing. He is on his third round of antibiotics, as a precaution, and has been on pain meds since he got home. He is still very hesitant to put weight on the foot and we are concerned that he may never walk correctly again. Other than the setback during healing, is this still "normal" for a amputation recovery? It doesn't seem that pain is the issue and we wondering what we could do to help encourage him to use/trust his newly healed foot. We do take him on short walks (vet condones) and he sporadically uses the foot. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds really about right. The pressure sores will take longer to heal than the actual surgical site, most likely.

He will eventually use his leg like he used to - it just takes time. Let him use ot or not at his own pace. Don't be surprised or upset if he tripods around for another couple months. His foot will continue to heal and will actually change shape to accomodate the missing toe. It took our girl about 8 months post amp to *really* be back to normal, following a routine amp surgery of a weight bearing toe.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How many joints of that toe were removed? Gracie's toe was amped due to what turned out to be a rare but benign tumor. Vet stated that 2 joints needed to be removed (even though the tumor just surrounded the nail bed) so that the "nub" would not rub on the ground when she walked. It never bothered her and healed quickly.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Our angel Jack had an outside toe removed and I recall it took 2-3wks for him to be comfortable on it again.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

MoMo lost a toe because of a problem corn. He recovery from it was a bit longer than expected as well, primarily because she kept getting sores under the bandage. It was really difficult to keep the toe covered with out getting skin breakdown on her delicate ankles. Antibiotics and a "drying" powder to put on the ankle sore did the trick. As Chris says, it sounds about "normal". I became a champion foot bandager through those weeks, at least according to the vet techs.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest rocdoc76

Macoduck, the whole toe was removed. I would like to thank everyone for responding, your advice and insight has been encouraging.

If you are on Facebook, join the Three Toed Greyhounds group. All I can say is experiences seem to really vary dog to dog. My girl had bad problems with sores and ripping sutures from her weight bearing toe amp years ago but walked on it from Day 1 after surgery. Everyone does seem to be fine eventually that I know of. I am wondering if your vet gave you adequate pain control. Also cold laser therapy will help speed healing.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad