Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'toe'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Greyhound Life
    • Announcements and News
    • Health and Medical discussion
    • Food and dietary discussion
    • Training and Behavior discussion
    • Cute and Funny things Greyhounds do
    • Everything else Greyhound
    • Greyhound Events
  • General
    • Off Topic
    • Introductions & Biography
    • Remembrance
    • Greyt Information
    • Pet Merchandise
    • Technical Questions about Greytalk

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL







Real Name

Found 9 results

  1. My retired racer Ella has a torn ligament on a middle toe that is causing it to rub on the next toe, resulting in an open wound. They put a splint between the toes and bandaged in hopes it will heal. After 2 weeks the next step would be surgery. Has anyone been through this? Best route to take? Is there a way to keep a grey from running? She does not like to do her business while on leash, but she runs in the backyard if off leash.
  2. I have a greyhound that is nearly 15yo who never had a wound before. Over the last month it seems that she is breaking down and developing wounds between the digits of multiple paws between her third & fourth digits at the head of the proximal phalanx. We caught most of the wounds when they were superficial or simply an irritation & got them to heal up by placing 1/8" felt pads between her toes. The problem is that her first/deepest wound is not resolving. It keeps getting deeper. She has been on oral antibiotics for a little over a week and will be on them for at least one more week. Her WBCs have come down from 22k to 20k in that time. My feeling is that this is all because or pressure. With people there are multiple products to slip over toes or fingers but the greyhounds webbed feet that have proved to be very difficult because they stop any tube shaped pads from sliding onto her toes. I have placed some gel pads between her toes (not directly over the wound) to keep the toes spread apart. It looks like the toes are spread apart enough when I wrap it but 24 hours later when I change the dressing, it seems to have slipped out of place just enough to allow the head of the proximal phalanx (where the wound is) to hit the head on the adjacent digit putting pressure on the wound. Any suggestions for pads to provide pressure relief between the digits?
  3. Hi there, first time poster but long-time lurker here. My 9-year-old boy, Homer, has shown some discomfort in his back feet since around Christmastime. He has a really wonky outer toe that (we think) healed badly after dislocation from his racing days, and sometimes gets "stuck" underneath his foot...but he started appearing to shift weight to the bad foot from the good foot, and not want to stand firmly on both back feet. He's shifting weight from foot to foot the way you see horses do. It's been like a roller coaster trying to figure out what's wrong. Our vet did a thorough physical exam back in December and couldn't find a thing wrong, and we speculated it was muscle pain that should resolve itself. We did acquire a second little houndie (Archie) back in late October, who does bounce around like a freight train and admittedly bumps his older brother a lot. Alas, he's still shifting weight from foot to foot, so back to the vet this week. He has been bounding through the snow, though, and loves a walk as always. He's sometimes stiff when he gets up from bed, and sometimes there's a hitch in his stride while he walks. We're still going to low-impact agility class and he's happy to go and do it! Another grey owner suggested I think about corns, and I posted some pictures to that Facebook group, the group thought it was a corn. Back to the vet, and the vet thinks no corns, but suddenly we find that Homer's lower back is very, very sore. He cried out when palpated, and now come the x-rays (looks like the tender spot was around L 3-4). It could be some arthritis in his back, but the x-rays looked basically clear to my vet. Sent those films to the radiologist and haven't heard back yet. Could be spondylosis? Meanwhile, for his pain, vet wanted to think about NSAIDs, but wanted to check blood and urine first. Good idea, and the results come back about the same as his baseline chemistry last year. A touch elevated, but "mild." Vet today suggests we take some more blood and send to Cornell for a more sensitive Lyme test, since the kidney values + lameness could suggest Lyme, even though he has always been vaccinated and the preliminary blood test came back negative. It's just so frustrating. He has been a healthy dog, and I now know he's in pain but can't help him (yet). Feeling really guilty about not being able to resolve it, honestly. Just generally venting, but wondered if anyone had the same experience with the lower back pain and shifting weight between the hind feet? Grateful this resource is here, too!
  4. Our lovely 7 year old boy Santos had to have his outside toe on his left front foot amputated. He was running around in the yard and came up limping and upon examination his outside toe was loose. The vet x-rayed it and found that he had fractured the first bone in at least three places. She was not optimistic that she could splint it and we decided to move forward with amputation. It has now been five weeks and his wound is finally healing, he did pop a sutre in his second week of recovery which required an additional one. He also developed two pressure sores which are now closing. He is on his third round of antibiotics, as a precaution, and has been on pain meds since he got home. He is still very hesitant to put weight on the foot and we are concerned that he may never walk correctly again. Other than the setback during healing, is this still "normal" for a amputation recovery? It doesn't seem that pain is the issue and we wondering what we could do to help encourage him to use/trust his newly healed foot. We do take him on short walks (vet condones) and he sporadically uses the foot. Any advice would be appreciated.
  5. I'll try to make this as succinct as possible A year ago, my four year old Greyhound broke his toe (right front paw, "ring" toe) while running. My vet recommended a partial amputation. The break was at the closest joint to the claw. Surgery went smoothly, "Keith" recovered nicely. However, beginning a month or so ago, Keith began limping badly when walking on rough surfaces. He's fine on grass, carpet and other soft surfaces. He's even OK on smooth-ish concrete. In the back yard, he has no problem reaching full-speed. At first I thought it might be a corn, as these are classic symptoms for corns. Yesterday I took him into my vet, as the limping...again, mainly on rough surfaces...is becoming worse. No corns (or other pad-related problems) could be found, so he took an x-ray. Strangely, the x-ray clearly showed that, for lack of a better description, a (very thin) bone on the very left side of the toe had grown and/or extended sharply forward at the edge of the toe. You can feel it on the toe and, after walking, you can see corresponding redness at the point the bone is extended. My vet thinks he can perform minor surgery to (I guess) shave or otherwise alter the bone to alleviate what looks like outward pressure from the bone which may (or may not, I suppose) be causing the limping. Sigh. Not that it's likely, but has anyone else had this problem? I really don't want to go into the whole "full vs. partial amputation" debate. This problem is what it is. If anyone else has had this experience, I sure would like to hear from you. Thanks to all of you in advance.
  6. Update May 30: Path report came back and there was no cancer! The toe still had to go, as the bone was proliferating and chipping off due to some trauma somewhere along the line, causing pain and chronic inflammation. So, no toe; no more toe pain! WHEW!! :confetti _____________________________ We don't have a diagnosis yet, and x-rays are headed to Dr. Couto today (hopefully). Brilly, 11 next month, our first greyhound, Mr. Easy-going, has a swollen toe that he's been limping on for a few months. He's broken a toe (finally healed after removing all bandaging) and sprung a toe in the past (never seemed to bother him, and healed on its own), and we were in a scary-broke phase (already owed the vet ~$400), so we took a watch and wait position 'til some money came in. Yesterday, the vet talked me through the xray, showing me a suspicious cloudiness around the joint in question. Despite how unusual it might be for OSA to show up in a toe, it has to be considered. So, I told her about Dr. Couto, sent her the contact info, and now we wait for news. In the meantime, I hit GT to search for anyone else with a similar experience, but didn't find anything. Does anyone know of such a dog? Brilly also has epilepsy (controlled so far on pheno) (knock on wood!), increasing hind end weakness and unilateral laryngeal paralysis: he'll be getting palliative care 'til it's time to let him go. We talked about removing the offending toe as part of that plan, and that may happen. Nothing is clear yet, of course. We all had a quiet night's sleep last night as the vet gave us both tramadol and meclazine. He's clearly been in more pain than we thought, besides limping when he first gets up. I haven't been on GT so much since FB took over but isn't this the way it goes? Something bad happens, and we reach for help where we know we can find it, along with the supportive community we've come to trust. And now, the obligatory pictures! SO unimpressed with his stocking portrait! Our first days together! My handsome boy, looking all heroic and pretending to think deep thoughts.
  7. Our dog is facing weight-bearing toe amputation now. As we prepare for this surgery (in about 3 weeks), any other stories and advice are very much appreciated!!! Thank you so much for starting this thread and to everyone who has shared their stories - it's been so helpful, as I've been worried sick over the idea of amputating a rear weigh-bearing toe on Chego our 4.5 year-old, 75 lb grey (2nd toe from inside). However, he has become increasingly bothered by the toe and his activity level is decreasing. After 13 months of trouble shooting, amputation of the digit appears to be the only thing that will relieve him and resolve the problem. Meantime, here's our story... After we adopted him, Chego demonstrated occasional lameness. At first it just seemed like sore muscles from playing/running too much. When the problem persisted we took him to a vet our adoption agency uses. The initial hypothesis was that he suffered from corns. Fast forward over 13 months... he's had many examinations from 4 different vets, x-rays, testing, including a "punch biopsy," and multiple treatments (corn cream, foot baths, antibiotics) vets have ruled out corns, fungal infection, osteo, and several other possibilities, but still a mystery with no definitive diagnosis. His pad remains very swollen and continues to drain slightly. He limps more than ever, but wearing a Therapad makes him comfortable on walks. It seems like a low-grade infection that persists but doesn't get worse. The biopsy yielded microscopic bits of sand/glass in the tissue, but the surgical specialist he is seeing now says that could be a red herring and not the cause of the problem. There are 3 bacteria present, which his current vet cultured (his previous vet prescribed 2 broad-spectrum antibiotics which were only indicated for 1 of the 3 bacteria, so it's no wonder he never healed up from those). However, even after after administering the correct antibiotic (based on results of the culture), the problem continues. Thank you. After the surgery we will post how he does.
  8. Pixie is limping this morning and we can't work out why. My husband says she was OK when she went out in the garden earlier, then when she jumped off her bed to say good morning to me the limp started. It's on the front right and she is lifting the paw. Thinking it might be cramp I have massaged the leg and shoulder. She has had a 50mg Rimadyl. She still had a little run in the garden (a few strides) despite the limp! It's beginning to look like it might be one of her toes. She whimpers when I touch the inner toe and webbing, and pulls it away. Yet I have examined it with a torch and can't see anything wrong, although the webbing is a little bit red. Any ideas?
  9. Hi all, Just posting in as first-time to say thanks for everyone who's posted in the past here about your hounds' toe amputation experiences...I have really appreciated and benefited from reading all of that over the past couple of days. My Mandy (OL's Baby Face) is 9.5 yrs old and have had her for six yrs. She is an insulin-dependent diabetic (shots 2 x day) whose had lots of health scares off-on since we've had her but she has prevailed as a fairly hearty and loving girl. Her left rear outside toe has been 2 x normal size for the past couple months and it did not respond to course of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. Xray showed bone involvement and some deterioration. Amputation was the final recommendation but we had a few re-starts on getting it done (first time it was scheduled, 3 wks ago, she had a false pos. proteinuria in preop bloodwork that caused delay to check urine protein:creatinine ratio and rule out glomerulonephritis and other kidney issues (further testing came back non-confirming of any of that); also had needle aspirates done of popliteal lymph node at back of knee on that leg and of the toe (lymph node was highly reactive but not for cancer, just showing that it was fighting off something (a good thing, I think); toe aspirate was inconclusive for anything fluid related but no surprise, as the toe seemed mostly boney process); the second time she was scheduled for surgery, she had what appeared to be a mini-seizure or mild stroke-like (TIA) event or a vestibular event the night before and we waited yet another week and a half). She did have the amputation this Thurs. 6-21-12 and is doing okay. Her blood glucose is climbing a bit and I'm kinda worried about that---thinking that perhaps as she continues eating same amt but exercising hardly at all, her metablism will cycle out of its good control. Very restless first night and better last night. She is doing intermittent whistle-whine sleeping from time to time and I am dosing regularly with Tramadol. She is also on Clavamox and Novox q 12 with meals, along with her injected insulin; tolerating all well. She is not happy with the rigid e-collar but tolerating it outside the crate for the long w/end. Will try to figure how best to help her keep away from the foot once I head back to work on Tues. and she has to crate up because she is definitely a fussy licker of wounds. Will try her with the softer e-collar (she doesn't like the sound and I think it makes her hot) and will try the suggestion a number of you have posted about with using the plastic muzzle + duct tape. I was concerned today that her bandage might be oozing a little blood & took her in to the vet but they said it looked very good and wanted me to actually keep it uncovered as much as possible now. So, no big pressure bandage or anything at all, which felt a little too soon, to me. But she has slept a good bit of the rest of the day and it has gotten lots of air. She has mostly tolerated it uncovered, although I think it must be very sensitive to the air from the fans and just being uncovered. She twitches it and sometimes whines when shifting it about like she wasn't before when it was covered. I'm dry-wrapping it religiously with 4x4 + vetwrap with a sock over it secured w/vet wrap at ankle, and an IV bag bootie over all of that, for when she goes outside. I will post a picture or two when I have a chance. Wish I could take all of next week off to be with her. Thanks for being here. --Gaye
  • Create New...