Subdermal Sutures Poking Through

Henry had two layers of sutures at GIG during the dreaded Shih Tzu bite debacle- one layer holding the muscle together, and one closing up the skin. I'm guessing the subdermal sutures were (or should have been) the dissolvable kind). Anyway, the top layer of sutures were removed after 10 days. But now I'm seeing these odd little bumps on the incision scar, and it feels like the subdermals are trying to come through. Is this a problem? It doesn't look irritated or infected. But when you touch it, you can definitely feel the little knots underneath.

I can still kind of feel some of Kili's sutures about 2 months post spay. Last time she had surgery I found it was a couple of months before I couldn't feel them anymore. "Dissolvable" means they will eventually be resorbed by the body, but they still have different holding strengths so some can remain present for several months. If they are actually coming THROUGH the skin... then you've got a problem. If in doubt, have him checked by your vet. :)

And what Shih Tzu debacle!?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Long story short, we were walking down the sidewalk at GIG, and we passed by a man with three little Shih tzus on flexi-leads. One of them started freaking out and jumped up and bit Henry on his back leg. Had to go to the e-vet out there- it was a whole thing. It was quite the deep puncture, through the muscle and everything. Dude walked away quick and did not offer to pay for anything!

Hen goes to the vet tomorrow for his chiro appointment. I'll see what they say about these sutures. I imagine that if they actually break through the skin, they'll need to come out.

I had more than one case of dissolvables not dissolving but those were all external after a neuter and I just took them out One vet said it had to do with the dogs body chemistry but I have no idea if that was true. :dunno Let us know what the vet says.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

IIRC knots take longer to dissolve. Mousie removed hers from her spay surgery. The rest of the incision healed well except for a tiny area at the end of the incision. It never looked red, swollen or infected. She kept licking it until she took the knot out and it was mostly closed and healed two days later

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Corinna's spay sutures are still easily felt under her skin also. She was spayed at 2 years old and now is nearly 8. I showed the vet years ago and she didn't seem concerned. I'm thinking the vets may have used non disolving sutures by mistake or something, but it's not causing her any trouble so it's not a big deal.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Dissolvable sutures sometimes take a long time. This does have to do with body chemistry and the "moistness" of the area. Essentially to dissolve, they need water, so if the area isn't "wet" all the time (like on the outside), then they take that much longer. If they're securely under the skin with nothing poking through, then I'd just leave them be.
When Mojito had sutures on the inside of her leg, the spot kept opening and weeping after the sutures were pulled. I couldn't figure out why it refused to stay closed, until I found the tiniest piece of dissolvable suture in the wound. Once that was removed, it closed and healed up in almost no time. The suture should have just dissolved but for whatever reason it wouldn't. Point is.. They all react differently to them. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.