Camping With A Grey

Guest mbburn05

Guest mbburn05

We got Maya back in November, and now camping season is rolling around. I only tent camp, but I think she'll be fine sleeping in a larger tent with us. My main question for people who camp with their greyhounds is what do you do with them during the day? I never let her off-leash outside, but don't want to have the leash on my wrist the whole day. Do you just tether them nearby? I use a harness rather than a collar, so would that be okay? I've thought about an x-pen, but worry that the first time she sees a squirrel or chipmunk run by, there she goes.

Thanks for any help!

We had a travel trailer and used an x-pen. Most of times, with other campers, we noticed that a lot of them used an x-pen in front of the steps and door, so the dog could go in and out. Or, if they got out, unintentionally, they most they could escape to, would be the pen.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Tether with a short leash and harness is fine. X-pen is easier and more secure imo. We have a canvas x-pen that collapses nicely and has both a zippered bottom and top dog you can remove them if you want. Mine fits 2 greys easily, I put all 3 dogs in it (third dog is a med sized mutt). Paid about $50 on eBay.

ETA: I have better photos somewhere, but this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

IMAG2961.jpg

IMAG2962.jpg

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Houston1219

A wire crate is great for camping! Collapses flat for transport and provides a super secure place for them to hang out outside. We set ours up under an awning or canopy. I also have used a long leash (I think it's called a training lead? About 12 feet long). Not to tether, of course, but tied around your waist (attached to a harness) gives them some room to roam and is hands free for you. X pens are great too. Houston has so much fun camping. Enjoy it! Also, picnic table bench makes a great raised feeder!

I also think (depending on the dog) tethering on a short leash and harness can be fine if you are there to supervise. Ideally though, some sort of x-pen would be a good answer. I have always packed to our campsites, so there is no way I am lugging a dog crate or x-pen on my back all day! :P If your campsite is a drive-in spot and you can take a lot of luggage, investing in some kind of containment system might be a good idea.

I also think (depending on the dog) tethering on a short leash and harness can be fine if you are there to supervise.

I agree with this. I routinely tether both my dogs in the summer when I play frisbee. I'm with them when I'm off the field, and when I'm on they just hang out and wait for me. I use a reasonably short lead (4-6"), and honestly they get to know the drill and they know they're tied. I wouldn't recommend if for excessively high prey dogs, but low to medium can work out fine.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest mbburn05

Thanks for the responses! I think I'll invest in an x-pen and stake it down pretty good. Maya's not high prey drive, so it sounds like a short tether would work for some of the time too.

I bought 2 large pens and put them together with an umbrella in the middle, water on the side and some comfy cushions to lay on. I have tied them to picnic tables with a close eye on them when setup of the whole deal was happening. Several camping setup pictures are on the forum, I'm just not sure where the thread is.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest normaandburrell

We tethered our Brassy on a short leash and always when we were right there to supervise. However, all we had to do was get busy doing something and take our eyes off of him for one minute, and he was gone! The other campers were calling him the stealth dog. A solution for us was to roll down all the windows in the van and let him lie on the bed in the back. He liked that a lot better than lying in the dirt. He was not high prey, just wanted to explore the camp, so I didn't have to worry about him jumping out a window if he saw a squirrel.

i camp a lot w/ our dogs. generally i bring easy to wash blankets and they just hang out on the blankets. usually they are so tired from hiking they are zonked out and sleep...... in the tent and we can't get them out of the tent. here's a link to my post recording our trip to gaspe, canada- 3 weeks on the road http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/300997-felix-annie-go-to-gaspe/?hl=%2Bgaspe%2C+%2Bcanada

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MackFamilyGreys

Our first camping trip with the girls will be in a few weeks. They'll be in the tent with us at night, we're planning to line the floor with Styrofoam tiles to keep their nails from cutting through. Then we have a pen for outdoors at the campsite. We'll put a large tarp down and then we have weather resistant dog beds to go on that.

Guest WhiteWave

I just leave mine loose except at night, I zip them up in tent. Mine will chew through the leash if i try to tether them.

Our first camping trip with the girls will be in a few weeks. They'll be in the tent with us at night, we're planning to line the floor with Styrofoam tiles to keep their nails from cutting through. Then we have a pen for outdoors at the campsite. We'll put a large tarp down and then we have weather resistant dog beds to go on that.

the fold up mats made in china- plastic weave are fantastic. dirt and small spills go right thru the weave, easy to hose down, not as noisy as styrofoam- that squeaks!

here's an example of the rug, they have them really cheap at ocean state job lot http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-9x12-Reversible-Patio/dp/B007NLJN6G

we ran across 2 of the rugs at a garage sale, $5 each!! but in the past(38 years) we never lined the tent w/ anything. there is very little floor space w/ the blankets for the dogs and our sleeping bags/ mats or cots. if it rains we stick a towel or newspapers at the entrance.

Edited by cleptogrey

Seems like overkill. I just lay a tarp down, have never had issues. Also, how much of your tent floor will actually be exposed? I have a really large tent, but between the dog beds, the air mattress (or sleeping pads before I got old) and the gear there isn't much exposed floor.

Not to dis your idea as it is creative, but seems like more to pack and take up space that you probably don't need.

Either way, have fun on your trip!

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thousands of dogs have died from choking to death or hanging themselves when tethered. (A tethered dog was hit by a car after panicking and pulling a picnic table behind him into a road.) Tethering is even more dangerous for retired racing Greyhounds since they can accelerate to racing speed within 3-4 strides. Reaching up to 45 mph from a stand still is extremely dangerous even if their leash is attached to a harness. There is a "no tethering" clause in many adoption agreements for these reasons.

It's extremely important be aware of expected high temperatures. Greyhounds overheat much more easily than other breeds. Keep water available at all times. Map the location and phone # of the closest emergency vet before the trip.

Some Greyhounds tolerate camping better than others. If dogs can't be responsibly cared for at all times during camping trips, it's better to leave them home with a dog sitter.

ETA: A hands-free waist leash helps to allow the human's hands/arms more freedom; however, humans still need to remain highly alert to their dog's behavior and dog's interest in long distance sightings to avoid being pulled down unexpectedly by the hound. It's safest to keep both hands on leash to properly control the dog.

Edited by 3greytjoys

Tether with a short leash and harness is fine. X-pen is easier and more secure imo. We have a canvas x-pen that collapses nicely and has both a zippered bottom and top dog you can remove them if you want. Mine fits 2 greys easily, I put all 3 dogs in it (third dog is a med sized mutt). Paid about $50 on eBay.

ETA: I have better photos somewhere, but this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

IMAG2961.jpg

IMAG2962.jpg

what size is your x-pen. now that we have a CRV i am considering getting one for annie.

several years ago, I took my three dogs tent camping all the time with my girlfriend who also had three dogs. We all slept in one big tent and between the two of us we had 4X pens that made one giant yard for the dogs. 6 dogs 😊 we made quite a camp site!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14