Trifexis Question

Guest Lirace05

Guest Lirace05

My normally hyper 5yr old, pepper, gets very lethargic for 1 to 2 days after she gets her monthly trifexis. Has anyone else had this issue and if so did anything help? My vet referred me to the manufacturer for information on splitting the dose but I keep getting disconnected every time I call by their automated system. Thanks.

My normally hyper 5yr old, pepper, gets very lethargic for 1 to 2 days after she gets her monthly trifexis. Has anyone else had this issue and if so did anything help? My vet referred me to the manufacturer for information on splitting the dose but I keep getting disconnected every time I call by their automated system. Thanks.

I noticed it with Rocket as well as him just generally being "off" for a day or so with Trifexis. We switched to Sentinel and have had no more side effects.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Batman did not tolerate Trifexis well - lethargy and upset stomach. We switched to a combination of Heartguard for heartworm and Frontline for fleas/ticks - I like this vs. a combination pill because we can dose them separately on different days, and he tolerates that much better.

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Don't forget-if you try to call them regarding a serious side effect or reaction you will get the same response. They don't really care about your dog- just the sale. They got your money so now you and your dog are on your own. At least this has been my experience with Bayer anyway and from your failed attempts to get the trifexis folks to respond, well it sounds so familair..

It really depends on the dog. I used Trifexis for years with all of my dogs with no issues. My lab has a very sensitive stomach and after about 3 years taking it he started to throw it up even taking it with food. I switched everyone to sentinel after that just because it's easier to buy one product in bulk for the rebates. With it being a heartworm med I personally wouldn't risk splitting the dosage, but that's me. Hopefully you can get through to the company soon. I called them when he first started having issues and remember getting through to a person so hopefully it's just a fluke.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

My two have been on Trifexis for over a year and have had no issues. I always give it with a meal and break the tablet in half and give it in two doses wrapped in cold cuts because the tablets are humongous.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

A small percentage of dogs just don't seem to tolerate it well. If it's a consistent response, then I recommend switching to a different product. I wouldn't suggest splitting the dose. We use a lot of Trifexis at a clinic, and I've only had a handful of clients report this type of consistent problem. We've never had a issue contacting Elanco, and I've found the company to be very responsive and quick to address problems.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

A small percentage of dogs just don't seem to tolerate it well. If it's a consistent response, then I recommend switching to a different product. I wouldn't suggest splitting the dose. We use a lot of Trifexis at a clinic, and I've only had a handful of clients report this type of consistent problem. We've never had a issue contacting Elanco, and I've found the company to be very responsive and quick to address problems.

Does it compromise the effectiveness if you split the tablet in two? To clarify, what I usually do is split the tablets and wrap them in something yummy and give as two bites at the same sitting. I find if I give it whole, they eat the good stuff and leave the tablet whole, and the size of the thing makes it too large to "pill" them.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Does it compromise the effectiveness if you split the tablet in two? To clarify, what I usually do is split the tablets and wrap them in something yummy and give as two bites at the same sitting. I find if I give it whole, they eat the good stuff and leave the tablet whole, and the size of the thing makes it too large to "pill" them.

​I've been splitting them, or quartering them, and putting them in "something" for 2+ years. Appears to be effective :nod

Not if it's all given at the same time. It's a chewable, so it can be chewed up or broken apart and doesn't have to be swallowed whole. There has been some discussion in the past about "splitting the dose" as in giving 1/2 one day, and 1/2 the next, and that would probably compromise efficacy.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg