Bleeding Corn

Corinna has had bad corn for a while. We almost surgically removed it because it was getting so painful for her this fall. The pain subsided though and it hasn't given her much issue for the last couple months. Yesterday I noticed her limping on it again and when I looked at it, it appeared ready to hull. I didn't have time to do right then but today I went to hull it and noticed it's red and bleeding. It looks like the hard callous part is missing but I didn't touch it. I know no one else in the house did either. Has anyone seen that before? She very lame on it again too.

I don't know if this picture shows it clearly or not. But it's the best I could get with my cell.20150120_150508-1.jpg

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Awh. I concur with soaking.

Try a warm epsom salt soak morning and night (I use a large tupperware container, but tall yogurt containers work well too) for the next few days - this will provide some relief even if it is a corn or a foreign body. If it softens you can inspect it a little better. Poor lady!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Okay I will try the soak and see what happens.

It was definitely a corn we were dealing with,as shes had it for a couple years now. Although I've never seen it do this before so I guess she could have gotten a foreign object in the toe as well. Could a corn fall out on its own? It almost looks like it was hulled to deep and has bled. I know it wasn't though as no one else in the house would have besides me.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

My corn dog just had one this weekend that looked similar, although I had to hull it myself. It was protruding from the pad (unusual for him) & had some blood visible through the corn. Most of his clearly are attached to a blood supply but this was the first one that I could see blood (dried) before I hulled it. I hope she feels better on that paw now.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest normaandburrell

I used to hull my first grey's corns and yes I would think they can fall out or get pulled out, especially if the dog catches the foot on something. I think soaking is a great idea regardless of what it was. If it persists, a therapaw was a great relief for our hound.

strange perimeters on the large corn. is that from the surgery? epsom's salts or even better is that weird black drawing salve- itchamachol. they have it on amazon or an old time pharmacy will have it(good luck). if you apply the salve- keep the paw covered and us it for around 5 days. it draws just about anything out and if there is any pus it will come out as well. felix had an infected picture wound at the edge of his pad(straw punctured it). the stuff works wonders.

once it dries up and the per meters are clearly defined you should be able to hull it. check this out....i just wish this person would cut her dog's nails.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdVWFUAT_4w

Just to clarify Corinna never had the corn surgically removed. We got the pain under control with meds and eventually was able to take her off those as well.

Just to update, I did an epsom salt soak yesterday and today but the pain is far worse then it was yesterday. There is a definite hole in the pad where the hard callous part of the corn was. I think it got torn out but have no idea how that's possible. The pad is also visibly swollen today so I fear it may be infected. I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning to try to get an appointment tomorrow.

even better is that weird black drawing salve- itchamachol.

I've never used Ichtammol on a corn but it did work on occasional psoriasis flare ups on me - there is a tube in my desk drawer. I found it at Walgreens, Kroger etc. but you have to ask the pharmacist. It's behind the counter.

Trivia factoid - My favorite GP explained to me that Ichtammol (dark) is what is left over when they make Vaseline (clear) from petroleum.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg