Not Eating, Vomited Twice

Ruby is the pickiest eater on the planet, so her not eating doesn't surprise us much. Lately she has either refused her food, or eaten about half of it.

Last night after eating half her food I noticed she was obsessively licking her lips and I put her outside, thinking she was going to vomit, which she did. A lot of mucous and some food. This morning I was worried about her not eating well so I put parmesan on her food. Again she ate about half and then vomited on the mat by the door. She is drinking, peeing and pooping fine. She has been on the same food for 2+ months.

I know there is an OTC stomach med I could try but I cannot remember the name. Any other red flags pop up ? Of course if this continues I will take her to the vet. I usually rush her in only to be told there is nothing wrong.

Thank you

Karen

I know there is an OTC stomach med I could try but I cannot remember the name.

You can try Pepcid (generic name Famotidine). I give 30mg (1.5 pills) 30 minutes prior to eating their meals. For a smaller female, 20mg is probably fine. If it keeps happening, then vet time.

I was going to post and ask you how Ruby was doing? You've had such problems getting her to eat. I'm wondering what's been working? I have no suggestions for the vomiting other than by day 3, I'd call the vet. Good luck and keep us up-to-date. Hugs to Ruby from Annie Banannie.

Edited by Feisty49

A lot of mucous doesn't sound good. Usually if it's acid reflux, it's already at a bright yellow bile stage, typically with little food in the tummy already so I don't think that usually happens immediately following a meal. It won't hurt her to dose her with Pepcid, but it doesn't sound like excess acid to me. You can also try chewable Pepto (1 chewable tablet) to see if she responds better to that..... How was she before she started showing she was "off"?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

She isn't really acting "off" at all except the vomiting. She still plays with her toys, wants to go for walks, etc. She will definitely be going to the vet if this continues, I just don't want to rush her there when every thing else seems fine and I haven't tried anything.

I will give her some Pepcid and see if that helps.

Hugs back at you AnnieBanannie Whisker Face

Karen

You might try fasting for a couple meals to see if that helps. She's probably really nauseaus, hence the drooling. Our vet told us that chewable pepto doesn't act fast enough, and we should try the liquid pepto. Only problem is that they need to get two tablespoons for a dose. I ended up using a syringe and then cleaning pink liquid off my kitchen cabinets.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I know that she hasn't eaten anything that she is not supposed to. This girl will barely eat her kibble and is not food driven at all. Most treats just lay in her bed unless it is popcorn, which she has not had recently. Tonight she ate about half of her meal and I had given her Pepcid about an hour before. She has not had any more vomiting.

Karen

Ruby is doing better but she still is only eating about half of her food. I even put some low sodium chicken broth on it this morning and she left half, which she has never done. No more vomiting though thank goodness. I am using the Pepcid for a few days and will keep an eye on her.

Thanks everyone.

Edited to add that I know she is being a stinker because she wants to be raw fed.....ha ha

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen