Multiday Effect Of Fireworks

Guest rratney

Guest rratney

The new years eve fireworks was visible from my living room window. The moment it started, mina's ears popped up and she scooted into the furthest corner of the apartment. She stays there all the time except to eat and sometimes to sleep next to my bed. Even a treat held in front of her nose doesn't entice her out of hiding. She's become a nervous wreck. What can be done to help her?

Ask your vet about Trazadone.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We have a farmer on our road who, during the corn growing season, insists on using a Corn Cannon to supposedly scare off crows and geese. Every ten minutes, every day, seven days a week, from 7:00am to 7:00pm. It scared the bejeesus out of Sweet. My getting annoyed wasn't helpful. What got her through it was at the beginning of the season when the noise started I'd say in a big happy voice "Stoopid Neighbors" and give her a treat. It got to the point where the cannon would go off and she'd come to me looking for her treat.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ask your vet about Trazadone.

:nod I would talk to your vet about medical intervention to get her over the hump. Once she's doing well again, you will likely be able to wean her off. But worth then having something short acting on hand to give in advance next year (and maybe other things like storms if they scare her) so she doesn't regress again.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Trazadone was a wonder drug for my girl Gracie, she hid in the closet and shook so hard that she rattled the doors, panted, paced and drooled. On Trazadone she was comfortable, a bit sleepy, but not drunk or wobbly. She actually walked outside to pee during the worst part of the evening. There is no loading dose, it's very quick acting and no after effects the next day.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

I recently posted this to Facebook when someone else was asking about dealing with firework phobias. It's about how one person dealt with a thunderstorm phobia, and gives you an idea of what you can expect, including the amount of time it's going to take. It also has a link to someone else's "bunker protocol", which may also be helpful. http://eileenanddogs.com/2014/04/03/dog-thunderstorm-phobia-fear/

And yes, short term I would see about drugs to get her back to an even keel, and also minimize her stress for at least a week. That's how long it takes for the stress hormones to leave the body, and anything else stressful that happens is going to be felt more keenly during that time.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest lynne893

our poor greta refuses to even go outside after dark during fireworks season. ughhh. around my neighborhood in LA that's from mother's day to mid-august :(

Lola had a really bad time with NewYear's fireworks too. :(

I tried Adaptil spray on her blanket and a sweatshirt that i put with her. It worked! She calmed down.

Might be worth a try for you and Mina.

If you want to go the natural route first you can also try Composure Chews or l-theanine supplements. Adaptil (DAP) also comes in diffuser and collar form, both of which are more potent than the spray. I personally like the collars because then they're always on the dog. I buy them from Amazon for a good price, otherwise, Entirely Pets carries them. The small size is big enough for any greyhound that isn't built like a tank. :)

There's no reason that you couldn't get them all on board at once and then one at a time gradually phase them out as long as no "symptoms" return. That's preferable imo to letting her continue to live in fear. L-theanine 100 mg 2x/day (I'm assuming she's around 60-65 lbs), the collar, and follow the instructions from teh Compsure bag, but I'd probably start with 2 per day.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."