Drugs To Increase Appetite

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

I don't want to type out a long drawn out thread about Leia so i want to cut to the chase.

She won't eat right, hasn't for 3-4 months now. we just think we find something she will eat then 3 days later it is poison to her. this has been going on for too long. So we rotate food,,tyr the 5 basic things every meal to see whihc one is the right one,,but over the last week none of them have been. when she does eat she eats enough to sustain life for say a 30 pound dog,,not a 70 pound dog. When she eats that way,,about every 3 days,,she is just eventually going to fade to nothing.

So we are goign to the vet,,again,,,tomorrow and ask him for something to bump her appetite. We tried vitamin b and that sort of works but make her a nervous wreck. She has mirtazapine which worked for a while,,now it is hit and miss.

So what can I have the vet prescribe her for appetite (and yes,,we have done all the blood work and spent 3K on her a couple of months ago having her ultras sounded from head to toe and nothing was wrong). What has worked for you?

Edited by FordRacingRon

There is a prescription appetite stimulant that the vet prescribed for our girl who was sick with intestinal cancer. I'm sure when you talk to your vet you can decide about using it. I wish I could remember the name to give you somewhere to start, but it's gone.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

when Nube had osteo and his appetite started to go, we tried Mirtazapine http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2552 but unfortunately never found out if it worked -- he only got one does and we had to let him go the very next day :(

good luck with Leia. :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest FordRacingRon

I was going to suggest that Vit B often works. After that, you're going to have to leave it to the vet, I'm afraid. They do, after all, have the skills - or should have!

How old is she?

11 1/2. Someone told me about their dog only really bing eating every 3rd day as he got older and this is what she does, only eats every 3rd day,,,but not enough for a big dog.

Someone also mentioned a steroid which is my guess what the vet will say. What 'roid would that be?

When Molly was not eating because of chemo last year we tried mirtazapine (Remaron) as an appetite stimulant, but I can't say if it worked because I stopped the chemo and she started eating again. She also had prescriptions for metoclopramide and

ondansetron for nausea. I don't know if Leia's feeling nauseous, if she is it might be why she eats something for a few days then refuses it.

Presuming she has had all the necessary bloodwork (especially important since she's an oldie) it may simply be that she can't smell her food as well as she could. Try adding something stinky; a sprinkling of parmesan, some mackerel or sardines, small amounts of liver, heart or kidney (but not offal every day!), and see how she feels about eating those. You can also gently warm her food - you can even warm canned food. We give it two minutes in the microwave from chilled to make enough add-in for both dogs. You may have to allow it to cool a bit from that, but I prefer to heat properly and then cool rather than simply take the chill off and maybe grow bugs in it.. We've been having to do that for Jeffie for a while now. He also now prefers his food rather wet - he likes to see 'gravy' in his dish.

We've also switched him onto a better quality kibble. This means that 1) he likes it better so he eats more and 2) he doesn't need to eat so much to get the same number of calories into him. Jeffie is twelve and a half, and actually has put more weight on since we've been doing that than he's had since we adopted him at ten! Oh, and we also give him a bowl of milk last thing at night. Splitting up the meals can be really useful as they get older.

I'm aware that feeding milk to dogs is a bit controversial to some people, but we've always done it and never had an issue. You can buy lactose free milk if you prefer. She won't know the difference!

Edited because of the stupid smiley that pops up when you type 'B' and a 'close bracket'

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest FordRacingRon

Has she ever had an abdominal ultrasound performed?? Also, have you tried anti- nausea meds--reglan (metoclopramide), cerenia or zofran (ondasatron)??? Daily Pepcid??

Yes. Nothing found but very slight swelling in an intestine but the internist said it was nothing really to further investigate

Guest FordRacingRon

Presuming she has had all the necessary bloodwork (especially important since she's an oldie) it may simply be that she can't smell her food as well as she could. Try adding something stinky; a sprinkling of parmesan, some mackerel or sardines, small amounts of liver, heart or kidney (but not offal every day!), and see how she feels about eating those. You can also gently warm her food - you can even warm canned food. We give it two minutes in the microwave from chilled to make enough add-in for both dogs. You may have to allow it to cool a bit from that, but I prefer to heat properly and then cool rather than simply take the chill off and maybe grow bugs in it.. We've been having to do that for Jeffie for a while now. He also now prefers his food rather wet - he likes to see 'gravy' in his dish.

We've also switched him onto a better quality kibble. This means that 1) he likes it better so he eats more and 2) he doesn't need to eat so much to get the same number of calories into him. Jeffie is twelve and a half, and actually has put more weight on since we've been doing that than he's had since we adopted him at ten! Oh, and we also give him a bowl of milk last thing at night. Splitting up the meals can be really useful as they get older.

I'm aware that feeding milk to dogs is a bit controversial to some people, but we've always done it and never had an issue. You can buy lactose free milk if you prefer. She won't know the difference!

Edited because of the stupid smiley that pops up when you type 'B' and a 'close bracket'

Stinky food,,been there done that. One of her meals that works for 2 or so days is sardines and/or salmon. I get the smelly deal,,I have a head cold and do not feel too bad but haven't eaten much as I can't smell anything. which for me works great 'cause I need to drop about 5 pounds before I see my doc next week !

Cheese,,no dice. Kibble,,,,,waste of time. what brand do you use. For about a month I thought I found the holy grail as she ate ground sirloin cooked and I would add kibble. But now most of the time any form of ground beef could be poison so kibble is out again. She won't eat her other meals with kibble mixed in.

I will tell more. This is why it is a pain and it could be my fault for giving her too many choices but I need my dog to eat. Until her hunger strike of the last two days her dinner would be either chicken thighs, ground beef, ground turkey, or salmon. She ate chicken fine for a few weeks then it became poison so we went to beef. that worked for a while then it became poison,,,onto ground turkey which worked for a couple of weeks,,,then poison. So for about 3 weeks no standard. Sometimes.like last night,,I find my self making all four of those to see which she will eat because what worked the day before won't work the next day. All this time,,never dog food,,,won't have it.

It is getting frustrating and expensive to try something,,then it doesn't work. Cooking 3 different meals a day doesn't work well for retirees pocketbook. I just can't find what she will eat and I know compared to what other dogs have to go through it isn't much,but it is making me half insane now.

And whomever suggest acid reducers,,we did try pepcid AC for a few weeks,,no noticeable difference.

Yes. Nothing found but very slight swelling in an intestine but the internist said it was nothing really to further investigate

How long ago?? May be worth repeating--usually done at a discounted price. If nothing still hasn't been found I have always been taught to try corticosteroids before throwing up your hands.

Ah... welcome to the world of the fussy, skinny, oldie! She sounds JUST like Jeffie! What's working for us right now is Almo Nature Holistic chicken and rice. I have no idea if it's available in the US.

I cook a 'stew' a couple of times a week, and use something different each time. Sometimes it's just one meat, other times it's a mix of two or more types of meat, or one type of meat plus offal. For breakfast he gets a basic wheat cereal which he seems to love (he has no issues with wheat, fortunately, apart from it bulking up his stools) with some meat mixed in. I warm enough stew for each mealtime in the microwave. As I said, he won't eat unless it's wet - other dogs don't like it wet. Basically, I suppose what I'm saying is that you have to mix it up; don't expect her to eat the same thing all week, let alone week after week after week. You can make up a couple of different types of meat stew and freeze it in batches, that way you can rotate it more easily and with less waste.

It might be worth trying one of the 100% quality single meat canned foods like Happy Dog or Rinti. Jeffie likes those .. but, well, you know what I'm going to say! He likes them for one or two meals then no more. But that's OK because they can sit up in the unheated spare room and wait for another rotation. :P

The oldies certainly have us running around for them, don't they? But it's worth it, to me, to keep them happy and healthy. Another thought ... something else to ask your vet: Jeffie has been put onto Alzheimer's drugs and is doing so much better, including appetite and energy levels. We just thought he was getting older and slower, but when he began losing poop in his bed, we felt we needed to explore things a bit further. It was a bit of a 'suck it and see' option, but it's working for him at the moment.

Guest FordRacingRon

Another thought ... something else to ask your vet: Jeffie has been put onto Alzheimer's drugs and is doing so much better, including appetite and energy levels. We just thought he was getting older and slower, but when he began losing poop in his bed, we felt we needed to explore things a bit further. It was a bit of a 'suck it and see' option, but it's working for him at the moment.

Actually we are dealing with two distinct problems. At the beginning of summer,,i will try to do this quickly,,we thought she did have CCD. She did the sundowner thing and was just a real pistol from like 5 pm until bedtime. Barking panting pacing. We thought she may have had doggy alzheimers and while waiting to be tested started her on the Alzheimer's meds. They seemed to have no real effect but I also wanted some type of "downer" to keep her under control. I wanted to try Valium. In order to get the vet to prescribe this we had to go see an internist, a cardiologist and a neurologist which led to all the ultrasounds (and huge vet bills). The last one,,the neurologist,,decided this was just how she would be in old age and thought the Valium was a good idea,,we were feeding her Trazadone. So she has been taking Valium since mid-summer and that took care of it and everything was fine,,eating and all. NO problem with her appetite at all through any of this. She took one pill at 3 pm and 2 to go to bed. the 3pm dosage seemed to help her appetite too.

At the beginning of Sept she got real sick and had diarrhea and was throwing up all day. Trip to the vet for meds to calm her tummy and more bloodwork and tests. But that is when the food thing started. we have been back 2 times for tummy trouble and nothing is ever found. The mirtazapine was suggest here and we tried it and it worked,,like everything else,,for a short time. They were writing off her diarrhea to the fact she is not on a steady diet of anything. we tried different canned dog foods everyday,,,nothing at all worked. As I said,,if it worked for 3 days, then it wouldn't work again.

That is why tomorrow I think he may suggest steroids but I am wondering which is the best for a grey.

If they feel it's IBD -true IBD they will most likely recommend prednisone. Personally I prefer budesonide for so many reasons-first and foremost is the diminished systemic side effects. Pred side effects are --pu/pd (excessive urinating/drinking, panting, pacing, thinning of skin/coat..... Of course this is contingent of the dose they start her on. The one postive aspects is if she heaven forbid has a brain tumo (or othe illness outside the GI) pred will be benefical. Budesonide primarily stays within the GI tract reducing systemic side effects--obviously not being benefical only for GI tract disease.

Mirtazapine IMHO really isn't t effective with dogs (more so with kitties) so I'm not surprised it's effectiveness has diminished.

Well, with that history, I'd be trying probiotics, I think. Can't hurt, might solve the problem, and they're reasonably cheap! It could be that her gut flora has never recovered from the vomiting and diarrhoea that she had. Messed up gut flora can also cause inappetance. Worth a try?

Guest IrskasMom

I am sorry you have the same Problem as I do with my Morty. Part is , that Age makes them a little more finniky and the other Part was that he is in Pain with his Glaucoma .I always wished I had a Grey that eats everything and anything. Not so. Morty is down to 60 lb. He CANNOT afford to lose anymore Weight. I give him anything at this Point . Cut Hot Dog in his Food ,any Leftovers from our Table, buy Cheeseburgers for Lunch ........anything.

Does Leias stomach rumble? My German Shepherd who is almost 13yrs has a condition called EPI and Sibo. Although i am not suggesting that your pup has this, if she has a rumbling tummy something is bothering her. IBD? My German Shepherd is now eating well and playful after a long course of antibiotics. She does get fed raw but gently cooked in her old age and stinky green tripe which has natural enzymes has helped her. My Greyhound Charlie is fine but is on the same diet but not cooked.

Guest FordRacingRon

Well, with that history, I'd be trying probiotics, I think. Can't hurt, might solve the problem, and they're reasonably cheap! It could be that her gut flora has never recovered from the vomiting and diarrhoea that she had. Messed up gut flora can also cause inappetance. Worth a try?

Interesting. I read maybe on this board or somewhere about this stuff someone used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009UD0BC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I believe are part part probiotics. I was using Endosorb (someone here recommended it) but if worked for a week or two then no more. This vetri-science thing seems to work really well and I don't give her a full dosage for her size. but if I give her 3 dosages in a day as the package says,,the next day is not so bad. But then the next day is bad again. I am not sure of long term usage because the instructions say to stop use when you get the desired effect. If it could be used every other day or so I think we solve one problem.

But which pro-biotic would you recommend,,I will try anything. I am not sure what to get.

If they feel it's IBD -true IBD they will most likely recommend prednisone. Personally I prefer budesonide for so many reasons-first and foremost is the diminished systemic side effects. Pred side effects are --pu/pd (excessive urinating/drinking, panting, pacing, thinning of skin/coat..... Of course this is contingent of the dose they start her on. The one postive aspects is if she heaven forbid has a brain tumo (or othe illness outside the GI) pred will be benefical. Budesonide primarily stays within the GI tract reducing systemic side effects--obviously not being benefical only for GI tract disease.

Mirtazapine IMHO really isn't t effective with dogs (more so with kitties) so I'm not surprised it's effectiveness has diminished.

That is what I was looking for,,,I think he will recommend prednisone. But by your description,,,we have more trouble then we started with so I am goign to say no and push for the budesonide.

. As far as a brain tumor,,,the neurologist stated he had no reason at all to suspect she had a tumor (after his tests ). She pretty much acts like the dog was always knew and when she does get antsy, a 5mg Vlaium takes away all her anxiety.

Guest OPointyDog

Mirtazapine was a miracle worker with our grey/GSD. She was always a finicky eater and it got worse after her cancer diagnosis. We started giving her mirtazapine, and it was amazing - she would eat right away and usually most of her food. Worth a shot, if your vet agrees.

Guest FordRacingRon

Okay,,,my DW and I discussed this and we really do not want to put her on a drug if we accomplish what we want with probiotics. I does seem she has a bit more of an appetite the day after I give her the vetri-science paste. I looked at the microscopic printed label for the paste that works and it does state use for only up to two days. So when we go to the vet I am goign to ask him what he has. After I try his high-priced whatever he comes up with I was thinking aobut trying this:

http://www.amazon.com/PROBIOTICS-FOR-DOGS-Great-Tasting-Lactobacillus/dp/B00KTY7W94/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

but not in stock until Jan 9th.

But she for sure does not eat enough for a dog her size,,,I think anyway.

Mirtazapine was a miracle worker with our grey/GSD. She was always a finicky eater and it got worse after her cancer diagnosis. We started giving her mirtazapine, and it was amazing - she would eat right away and usually most of her food. Worth a shot, if your vet agrees.

She does have a script for Mirt that and I think it works somewhat,,my DW does not. But I gave a a full dose yesterday and she ate well at dinner. So was in the Mirtazapine,,or the probiotic paste? All I know is,,if it works you're not supposed to fix it.

One thing for sure,,if push came to shove,,,she would gobble down a McDonalds burger in a heartbeat.

We use this one: it's a powder which can be mixed into food, or you can make a paste of it and squirt it into her mouth, or - and this is my favourite if she's not eating much - get some liver paté (liverwurst?) and mix it into the smallest amount you can get her to eat. Try to find one without onion.

Protexin Pro-Soluble

The measures are quite small, and you need two daily for a greyhound. I'd say they're about half a teaspoon but I haven't checked that!

I'm not sure you can do any harm by dosing continuously with probiotics. Check with your vet, but I'm pretty sure all you'd be doing would be wasting your money if she didn't need them. We normally dose for 5 days to a week at a time, and that's what our vet told us to do. The one your vet gave you may have a different composition.

I'd try acupuncture (preferable CHI certified). In addition to the acupuncture helping there are Chinese meds that can help.

Huston eats 4 or 5 different things twice a day. One thing that is constant, but he can't have a lot of at one time because of the pancreatitis threat, is Stella & Chewy's dehydrated patties. I break 1/4 to half a one on his meal if he's not too interested if I think he has not eaten enough.

For instance, this morning he ate: Fresh Pet, frozen BilJac with Stella & Chewy's on it, and I can't remember :lol Last night it was Fresh Pet, beef kibble, roasted turkey, turkey kibble, canned meat with his Fresh Factors in it, yogurt and a number of different cookies. Oh, I remember this morning he ate a little Honest Kitchen duck.

Whatever he eats as a sample, he'll stop eating when I buy it. I have 4 or 5 kibbles plus all the other stuff I've mentioned.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest FordRacingRon

I'd try acupuncture (preferable CHI certified). In addition to the acupuncture helping there are Chinese meds that can help.

Huston eats 4 or 5 different things twice a day. One thing that is constant, but he can't have a lot of at one time because of the pancreatitis threat, is Stella & Chewy's dehydrated patties. I break 1/4 to half a one on his meal if he's not too interested if I think he has not eaten enough.

For instance, this morning he ate: Fresh Pet, frozen BilJac with Stella & Chewy's on it, and I can't remember :lol Last night it was Fresh Pet, beef kibble, roasted turkey, turkey kibble, canned meat with his Fresh Factors in it, yogurt and a number of different cookies. Oh, I remember this morning he ate a little Honest Kitchen duck.

Whatever he eats as a sample, he'll stop eating when I buy it. I have 4 or 5 kibbles plus all the other stuff I've mentioned.

I don't want to turn this into an ad and if I have violated a TOS someone let me know and delete,,,,,but,,,,one thing my girl hasn't tried in a log time are Burpdog biscuits,,,or doggy crack. Any advice as to the best cookie for a picky eater.

TODAY: Vet did an on the spot fecal test and listened to what we asked about probiotics. He agreed as steroids for very last result. Fecal result showed an elevated white blood cell count and a tad of blood (under microscope) so he put her on Amaxocillan (sp) and Metronidazole plus a probiotic. Treating for IBS. See him in a week.

How are her teeth? If they aren't great, or she has sore gums, you'll have to find a cookie which is soft-baked. Or sometimes you can soak them to soften them for the oldies.

Glad your vet is taking your thoughts seriously and that you seem to be a step further forward! I hope the antibiotics help her. :goodluck