Food Sprinkles

I am trying to get some weight put back on Ruby and have recently switched her food to a higher calorie one. She did great with it the first 3 days, but started being picky tonight and only ate a bit of it.

In the past I have used parmesan cheese and chicken broth to perk up the food, which seems to work pretty well for a while each time.

Does anyone know of a food sprinkle that is meaty flavored and smelling that I can try ? I would like it to be a dry powder type thing in case she doesn't eat all the food. Does anyone know a good smelly dry food or product that I could grind up to make it more flavorable ? I asked at the pet food store the other day and they only had some gross gravy stuff that was all chemicals and fats. I have thought about grinding The Green Bag up to add the sprinkle but not sure how flavorful it is. What about dry gravy mix ? Wondered about the sodium in that. How about ground dehydrated lung ? I just need a little something to perk her taste buds. Seeing all her ribs and hips sticking out is so sad.

Thanks for any ideas.

Karen

All good suggestions above. My suggestion is to change the additives out every couple of days. Do two days with one; two days with another; etc. Hopefully this will ensure she doesn't get tired of one thing and she'll never know what to expect next. I know you'll end up with a lot of stuff for Ruby, but don't we all have lots of stuff, from food to treats to meds? I swear Annie's stuff takes up more room than mine.

Additives I put in Annie's food sometimes just 'cause (no large amounts of any of this):

Cottage cheese with chives (1 big tablespoon)

Mac & cheese (a couple of tablespoons)

Other pastas, such as when I do something with egg noodles or spaghetti

A small taste of cat food (I'll swirl water around an empty can and make a soup of the bits of food left)

FortiFlora (does it taste beefy?)

Sharp or American cheese

Pretty much if I have something I think she'd like, I mix it in her supper. If I don't have anything, she gets nekkid food. :-)

I have been adding some tuna to the food on some days, going with "human-grade" low sodium tuna packets in water. Both dogs love it. Not sure if there are any issues with tuna as an additive, but I figure if it is low sodium it should be ok. I usually go with the smallest sealed pouch variety, put half in each dog's food, so they are not actually getting that much. And of course it is super-convenient :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Bully flakes are ground up bully sticks right ? Her tummy does not do well with the sticks at all so am a bit hesitant to try that. I will look into the liver powder. That is a good idea and I think she would like it. I tried mixing plain noodles into her food the other day and she picked around them. Guess they are not on her menu.

Appreciate the ideas..........keep them coming.

Karen

I use canned puppy food to help the seniors keep up their weight. You could start with just a tablespoons' worth to see if Ruby would like it. Around here, it's been gobbled up first before any other noms in the dish.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

These are not exactly 'sprinkles' but are popular add-ins for my skinny old chap: a couple of lightly-scrambled eggs; a portion of chicken boiled up in water then stripped off the bone, with the broth; a small tin of lovely smelly sardines (I think in the US you can also get something called jack mackerel which is even smellier?!); frozen green tripe (again I think you can get pure canned tripe in the US?); a bit of raw beef mince - cheaper fatty stuff is fine; left-over human soup or stew, if not too highly seasoned.

I find extra protein works better than extra carbs or fats for adding/keeping on weight - and the vet told me it's the easiest for them to metabolise.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I second the Stella and Chewy's freeze dried treat crumbled on the food. For my picky one who needs to eat, I add pieces of lunch meat on top. Tuna out of the can, broken up treats that I know she will eat ( if given as just a treat).

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Guest Houston1219

I recall someone here on GT said that their dog liked a sprinkle of parmesan cheese? High sodium, I realize, but it does have a fairly strong smell/flavor.

I recall someone here on GT said that their dog liked a sprinkle of parmesan cheese? High sodium, I realize, but it does have a fairly strong smell/flavor.

I sprinkle Parm cheese on Annie's food occasionally. It would never cross my mind to worry about sodium with a sprinkle of anything.

Guest Houston1219

I sprinkle Parm cheese on Annie's food occasionally. It would never cross my mind to worry about sodium with a sprinkle of anything.

For sure not an issue for most, just not sure about any special diet dogs if you know what I mean. And Annie was just the dog I was trying to recall :-) I tried it just to try after I read your post and Houston approved! The next meal he was waiting for sprinkles lol

For sure not an issue for most, just not sure about any special diet dogs if you know what I mean. And Annie was just the dog I was trying to recall :-) I tried it just to try after I read your post and Houston approved! The next meal he was waiting for sprinkles lol

To set the record straight, I do sprinkle parm once in a while but the idea didn't originate with me. Somewhere along the way I read it on here but don't remember where.