Antlers At Costco

When we first got Ruby I bought her an antler and she was not interested in it. It was a whole one where she couldn't get to the marrow easily.

Last night at Costco I see they are selling a bag full of about 6-7 antlers, some cut in half so the marrow is showing and the others are whole. The bag said to start with the ones that are cut and even put peanut butter on them to get the dog chewing. Ruby is not a fan of peanut butter so that would not work for her.

They were $18 a bag, which seemed really cheap compared to the one I bought a while back.

Would the split ones be good to give Ruby and what are the advantages ? Is it good for their teeth ? Any worries about tooth fractures with these ? I was just thinking it would give her something to do occasionally.

Karen

Our galgo Beatrix broke a tooth chewing on an elk antler. Considering that galgos generally have better teeth than retired racers, we won't be giving any of our greyhounds antlers.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

My hounds LOVE antlers. If those at Costco are US or Canada sourced (not sure where you are) that is a great price! I would go for it. I was just at the Costco by me, didn't see those. Were they be the pet stuff? I may have to go back and look...

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

Excellent! Thanks! I am going to have to go back and look.

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

Our galgo Beatrix broke a tooth chewing on an elk antler. Considering that galgos generally have better teeth than retired racers, we won't be giving any of our greyhounds antlers.

I've always wondered about this. People tout them as a safe option, but I finally recently gave in and bought one and they seem as hard as marrow bones, which I know can definitely break teeth.

Had she had a dental recently - in other words, do you know the tooth was healthy?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I've always wondered about this. People tout them as a safe option, but I finally recently gave in and bought one and they seem as hard as marrow bones, which I know can definitely break teeth.

Had she had a dental recently - in other words, do you know the tooth was healthy?

No, I doubt they do dentals prior to adoption in Spain. Our vet did see Beatrix shortly after we adopted her and didn't recommend a dental - said she had nice teeth. The tooth broke about a month later. We got Beatrix the antler as an alternative to her chewing up my books and magazines. Now she is back to destroying my People magazines. It just forces me to read them quicker. ;)

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Antlers like marrow bone can and have caused slab fractures--not worth the risk IMO.

Good to know.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks everyone. Sounds like they might not be a good option for her teeth.

It's a shame because they satisfy their urge to chew but, it's a risk. Sadly, the treatment of choice for a known slab fracture is extraction or root canal and a crown. Not a risk I'm worth taking.

• 2 weeks later...