Treats For Sensitive Stomach And A Picky Eater?

Guest Wasabi303

Guest Wasabi303

Alright GT. I have a mission for you all. Pictured below are the magical pink oreo treats from Petco Unleashed treat bar. Wasabi will do ANYTHING for these. And she could pretty much care less about any other treat we tried (which was quiet a few back in our basic obedience class).

xUQausal.jpg

Here is the problem: These babies give Wasabi the WORST GAS EVER. I only give her crumbs at a time, she rarely gets more than a quarter of these per training session. Still ends up with room clearing farts, when she never has gas normally (she eats Iam's green bag and Olewo's carrots everyday).

I am trying to find a replacement treat for these that she will like as much, but that won't upset her tummy so much.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

You'll need to know what's in them so you can avoid that ingredient.

I'm assuming you've tried stuff like microwaved hot dog slices, dehydrated meat products, jerky, liverwurst, cheese. Are these for training or "just because" treats?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Wasabi303

You'll need to know what's in them so you can avoid that ingredient.

I'm assuming you've tried stuff like microwaved hot dog slices, dehydrated meat products, jerky, liverwurst, cheese. Are these for training or "just because" treats?

Hey so yeah, that is part of the problem. Petco Unleashed doesn't have them on their website, so I don't know what is in them. Planning on calling the store tomorrow to see if they will know.

I have tried cheese, and if works as a good back up. These are mostly for training. B/c her stomach is so sensitive, I almost never give her 'just because treats', except for steamed chicken liver with her dinner sometimes. I am vegetarian, so I never have that other stuff in the house, but I could buy and try it if you think that will be better.

Guest Johberry

I second greysmom in looking up the ingredients. I believe Petco's treat bar descriptions at the store lists the ingredients. Most of their cookies give our hound bad gas as well and I suspect the grains.

Funny enough, we stopped by a few days ago and let the cashier give Enzo a carob chip cookie which resulted in bad diarrhea later! Thus, never again, lol.

One treat from Petco we have success with was not from the treat bar. The Good Lovin' brand raw freeze-dried treats DBF happened upon one day...lamb and kiwi or the beef and kiwi. They're grain free and all natural. They're located by the registers at our Petco. Enzo LOVES these far more than any cookie. We use them to get him in his crate when we leave for work (or school, in my case) and positive reinforcement when we have to put him in the tub to wash his feet/legs. Because it doesn't upset his tummy at all, we've been using other raw freeze-dried or air-dried treats. Other brands we use/have used include Ziwipeak and Sojos. I also have to note that our boy is used to raw as he gets one fully-raw meal every day. Sorry for rambling, hope that helps you some!

Edited by Johberry

Rocket has a sensitive stomach, and while I'm still baffled by it, the one big treat that does';t bother him is Milk Bone Brand Dog Biscuits.(Just plain old Milk Bones, no added flavors and no generic or off brands like from Costco or others.)

For training treats, Grizzly Crunchy Salmon Treats in the yellow bag have also been a hit with every dog I've ever offered one to. They are small, and not hard like most salmon treats in that they are not like jerky or slices if salmon, they are more of a nugget. Have had no tummy issues with these either.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest FosterMom2014

I'm having the gas issue too. Green bag, small kibble and the Olewos carrots. So I am wondering if it's the treats, starting a new brand tomorrow, so we will see.

Guest sireltonsmom

Milk bones seem to be the least bothersome treat - I only give mine the small size as a treat. Good luck - those treats are obviously yummy compared to Milk Bones. And, MB are made in the USA.

Guest DogNewbie

I get the simple selections (I think that's what it is called) 100% all beef hot dogs. maple leaf and Schneider's each sell their own version. Then I cook them and chop them into little pieces. Wiley loves them and they don't make him sick. We tried the cheap hot dogs once, but he had projectile direaha all night.