Dry Food For Sensitive Tummy/allergy?

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Hello once again ;)

So we've had Fusion almost a month and he still has very mushy/loose stools. We have already de wormed, used pumpkin, etc. Nothing seems to be helping. His skin seems pretty red and irritated as well.

Last night we gave him a little bit of chicken in his supper, and about an hr later he pooped a lot of mushy poos. So I was thinking maybe he has some sort of chicken allergy. We have been feeding him IAMS green bag, but the main ingredient is chicken. Time to change foods I think?

Im torn between trying Natural Balance Limited Ingredient, and Taste of the Wild. I know both product have chicken free lines, and both have very good reviews.

Have any of you had luck with these lines, or do you recommend another for sensitive systems? (Price is not an issue, just want a happy boy)

Thanks!

Annie gets 1.5 cups of food morning and night, the contents of which are 1 cup of Iams Green Bag and 1/2 cup Natural Balance LI Sweet Potato and Venison. On just the Iams, her poos were OK. Not always great but I could live with the output. Because she lost interest in the Iams Green Bag, I substituted a half cup of the Natural Balance for the Iams and the output was terrific! I could pick it up without leaving evidence she had been there. She also likes the combo a lot.

So for Annie, the Natural Balance did something positive for her. I considered switching her over to all Natural Balance but have learned not to mess with success so she's still on Iams Green Bag and the Natural Balance.

Good luck. We all know how frustrating it is to find the one thing that works.

Oh, another suggestion: Have you tried a probiotic such as Fortiflora? That may also help.

Guest PiagetsMom

I've tried lots of different dry foods for Mirage, who has always had stomach/poop issues - everything from Purina One, to Iams, to lots of stuff in between. I've had very good luck on the Fromm's Grain Free Game Bird recipe dry food for Mirage. It's on the more expensive side, but it's the best results I've ever had for him. I've also found treats with similar ingredients to keep things consistant, and I think that's helped as well.

Good Luck!

Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream here. I think at one time or another I have tried almost every brand and flavor, from way up the top of the line and down. Sometimes what I would feed, they did ok on, and then wouldn't eat it anymore. We are having perfect 'output' currently on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and they like it. I add in Olewo carrots and sometimes cooked beef cubes or sardines. It has taken me a long time to find a food that works consistently for both of mine and this combination has been perfect. No chicken here - the mooshy poop starts. I have to make sure that the ingredients in what I give don't contain chicken fat either, sometimes that sneaks in on certain brands or treats.

If you are concerned about an allergy, start with just one protein source - fish is a good place to begin. If you decide on TOTW Pacific Stream, you can add water, maybe a sardine, and see how that goes. As I mentioned the Olewo carrots (there is another thread on here) are good to add in - mine like the taste. My two like more than just plain old kibble, so this works for us.

As you will find, not everything works for every dog - some do great on certain foods that others do not. Buy a small bag of whatever you decide on, just to see how it works :).

Guest Johberry

We went through a similar thing when we first got our boy a little over a month ago as well. We, too, suspected a chicken allergy. We slowly transitioned from Fromm Grain-Free Salmon Tunalini (as we discovered it has chicken in it) to Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea which is grain-free, potato-free, AND chicken-free. His poops have been better than ever (no pudding/mushy poop nor diarrhea and firm poop) with no excessive scratching nor chewing his feet like before. Another thing that has helped has been a plant enzyme probiotic we had ordered from the same website/company that sells Dentasure as they use natural ingredients, and we also give a tablespoon of Olewo carrots mixed in with his evening meal. Like everyone has already mentioned, it is different for every dog but I hope our feeding protocol helps you some. :)

Guest snowmo18

Look into Big Dog Natural...I havnt had tummy issues with my kids since they have been on it and they have been on it for over a year. love the stuff..limited ingredient and made local in NJ....it is pricey though..but to me its worth every penny

Edited by snowmo18

We have been feeding our chicken-sensitive girl Blue Basics Salmon and Potato kibble and canned food for about 6 weeks now and have really liked the results. It's also not overly expensive and can be bought at Petsmart.

We tried several brands and she liked the Blue the best.

If Fusion is sensitive to chicken, you need to check everything that you feed him - all treats, people food, Pill Pockets - everything.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest PiagetsMom

I've tried lots of different dry foods for Mirage, who has always had stomach/poop issues - everything from Purina One, to Iams, to lots of stuff in between. I've had very good luck on the Fromm's Grain Free Game Bird recipe dry food for Mirage. It's on the more expensive side, but it's the best results I've ever had for him. I've also found treats with similar ingredients to keep things consistant, and I think that's helped as well.

Good Luck!

Sorry, can't edit at this time, but I missed the "chicken" issue in your post. The Game Bird Recipe wouldn't work as it does have chicken, but you might look into some of the other formulas. As greysmom said, look at the ingredients listed carefully, both in dry food and in treats, as I've found that chicken is a very common ingredient in one form or another.

if you have a blue seal dealer near your their lamb and rice kibble worked wonders for felix. annie can eat ground tires and nothing bothers her stomach. felix...the prince of sensitive and no chicken for him. have you gone thru a regime of flagyl? it really clears up their gut. do ask your vet and bring a sample in.is it stinky? stinky to high heaven? if so, time to clean it up, but only your vet will know w/ what.

felix did well on duck and oatmeal/holistic select and prairie venison but both became very costly- hence the blue seal. reasonably priced, 22/24%protien, around 14% fat. the dogs really don't need more than 24%protein- that's rocket fuel.

I found that Duck and Brown rice kibble works better than something with Chicken in it, Turkey isn't as bad as chicken but it mustn't have wheat in it (maize is not so bad), Lamb is too greasy, Fish can be too high in protein.

Every dog is different, just make sure they're gut-parasite-free and then alter just one thing at a time until you discover what works best.

Guest Lygracilux

Thank you everyone! You're all so awesome.

We decided to try out the Natural Balance Sweet Potato + Venison. We are transferring over slowly from the Iams-but even this morning I swear he had the best poo he has had since we got him. In the morning its usually better anyways, but this one actually didn't stick much to the grass and had some actual "poo" shape to it, which was awesome.

We're also doing chicken free carrot treats, which he loves so that's good.

Im happy he always has an appetite, makes switching foods a lot easier because hes not picky- little piglet.

P.s. I dont think I have openly talked about a dogs poop (or any poop) with this many people on the internet. Too funny, I love the GT community :beatheart

Edited by Lygracilux

Food allergies do not typically manifest as loose stool.

Just a "for what it's worth." Food allergies cause itching, normally.

George had chronic loose stool when I first got him. A second round of panacur helped, as did switching to a beef based food.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck