Question About Osteosarcoma

Guest kar

Guest itsallgreyt

My experience is yes. I lost my first Greyhound, Mojo, to osteo. I do think there area always signs that appear ahead of time - not always in the limbs. Mojo had diminished ability to tolerate exercise and heat (also normal signs of aging) and coughed (not normal sign of aging!) before the tumor up in his shoulder ever 'popped out'. I knew something was going on for months before the tumor ever appeared but his exams never turned up anything abnormal.

Yes. Sometimes the first sign that osteo is present is a catastrophically broken bone. Xrays then may confirm that osteo is present in a dog that was "fine" 10 seconds before it broke its leg. Sometimes, even then, xrays aren't conclusive, but a biopsy confirms the osteo.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Yes. Cancer doesn't just pop up out of nowhere the day that an animal shows a symptom. It's nefariously growing, sometimes for a long time. When and how the dog presents with symptoms can vary dramatically, from a dog that limps intermittently for a long period of time to a dog that one day just breaks a leg as others have mentioned above.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Again, yes. Our Dude showed no signs - no limping, no lethargy, no pain behavior, ate like a horse, played and ran - in fact, he was running out in the yard when he broke his leg, which turned out to be osteo. We'd had no clue beforehand.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Can a dog have osteosarcoma without any signs appearing in the limbs such as swelling, limping, etc.

Can you post a photo of Snow for us? If you don't have a photo-sharing account (PhotoBucket, Flicker, etc.) if you send it to anyone here we can post it for you.

Just a thought: have you reached out to Snow's breeder??

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.