Snows Bloodwork

Guest kar

Snow's blood work came back fine today. But, she is still not eating well. I really don't think it could be the skunk smell, even though she still smells a little in her snout. Vet has not idea why she is not eating well. Checked her over and could not find anything. Vet is not the only one that is stumped, I am too.

I would but she is on a low protein diet due to the kidney disease. she does want my food though.

Good ideas but cant give high protein due to her pln (kidney disease).

If she does not eat well tomorrow I will try anything.

I would give her what she wants just to get her eating again. The less healthy food can be temporary, then gradually mix with her regular food.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would but she is on a low protein diet due to the kidney disease. she does want my food though.

Good ideas but cant give high protein due to her pln (kidney disease).

If she does not eat well tomorrow I will try anything.

Canned tripe sometimes works. It's stinky but most dogs love it and it's good for them.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Are you standing there watching her, waiting for her to eat?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

well I am telling her to eat she kind of just stands by her bowl

Put her bowl down and walk away.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I will try it this basically started when my other grey died, then it improved, then she was skunked and it started again. I even took her to a pet store where a greyhound group was thinking I would get a good response. She just walked right by them and basically ignored them. Funny I thought she would be excited.

Kar, my mutt girl Pudge (age 13 +/-) had end stage renal disease. She was on Royal Canin for several years. She didn't care too much for it unless we put a few of Gracie's kibbles in with it. With age and the progression of kidney failure her appetite lessened. At that point our vet said let her eat whatever the heck she wants - we know her time is limited, we know we can't fix this, so make her happy. While we didn't overly indulge her, she was a happy girl until the day she said "enough".

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Does she like coconut oil? Drizzle some on her food.

Add some sardines to her bowl.

I agree about just getting her to eat for now. I like the Mac and cheese with the beef . If you want a recipe that my two love - mix ground beef, grated zucchini, grated carrots, quick oats oatmeal, an egg, a tiny bit of garlic powder - form into burger patties and grill. I don't follow exact measures. Just judge what looks good to form nice burgers. My two love this. I store in refrigerator and microwave to warm.

I don't think even a 'skunked nose' would prevent them from eating these!

I also agree with not watching her eat. She may be picking up on your concern.

the vet does not seem to think she is end stage - at this point at least. but I have noticed a difference. Of course she is older now too 7 and a half.

1.6 upc blood work normal - she wants ice cream and cherrios. ha

In all seriousness--that's not a number that you really should be limiting her diet over. You aren't helping her by offering her a food she won't eat. If you feel you should continue limiting her protein intake feed her a lower protein/phosphorus OTC food. Stay away from most of the grain free kibble-away too high in protein. Sold Gold has a nice line of foods--I feed their WolfKing--moderate protein and lower fat. They also have another even lower protein food that you may want to try.

http://www.solidgoldpet.com/productDetail.aspx?p=7

Agree with tbhounds :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Definitely listen to tbhounds. For now, feed her anything that will get her to eat. Her interest needs to be brought back to eating. Make it special for her.

You are probably doing this already, but just in case, have you tried brushing her teeth? Maybe the toothpaste/gel would help to remove any remaining skunk taste from her mouth. Their sense of smell and taste is so much higher than ours that between the remainder on her nose, and any in her mouth, it just may be totally turning her off.

Maybe handfeeding some particularly tempting treats would start her. I know that my girl goes through periods where she has to have "breakfast in bed". It slows me down in the morning but it gets her eating. Crumbling one or two of her freeze dried treats on top also helps.