How To Pick A Kibble?

Guest AimeeBee

Guest AimeeBee

I've been researching potential kibbles for a week or so now and there's so many options out there that my head is spinning. How did you end up choosing what you feed your dogs? Where do you start?

The background: George came to me eating Taste of the Wild High Prairie (the bison-based one) about 6 months ago and, aside from one attempt to switch to the TotW salmon flavor which he didn't really care for and it made him really dandruff-y, has been eating it ever since. About 2-3 weeks ago I noted he was having off and on soft poo issues and really bad gas, which progressed to liquid diarrhea this past weekend. I have been in contact with the vet, he had a fecal run (which came back all clear for worms and giardia) and nothing else changed in his diet/routine.

He's been on a bland diet of boiled shredded chicken and plain pasta since Saturday night, which did firm up his stool by Tuesday. Now that I've been slowly adding kibble back in, the soft poop is returning. I don't think it's treats -- I stopped feeding them when I went to the bland diet just to make sure that wasn't the issue and haven't added them back yet. Aside from the poop/gas issue he's doing well -- his weight is appropriate, coat is soft, and he seems to be happy and is eager to eat his meals.

What is a good kibble to start with? Switching to raw is not an option right now, unfortunately. Hopefully it will be more feasible for me in the future.

My "must-haves" are pretty much that it be a good quality food without a lot of fillers, ~$50 or less for a 30lb-ish bag, and be relatively easy to find (I have a Costco membership, there is a Tractor Supply not too far away, and a local chain pet supply that stocks a pretty decent variety of brands).

Guest Celestrina

Angie has a sensitive stomach and does really well on Natural Balance LID (limited ingredient diet). Generally I would recommend a kibble with a single protein source to see what might be causing the problem. Others have had luck with IAMS green bag.

Spinning head and potential brain explosion attempting to determine what kibble works best :). There are soooooo many variables - protein problem, grain problem, mysterious ingredients problem, not taste pleasing, stress, meds, to name a few! I have been on this road (and probably won't get off it), but my first suggestion would be to get the smallest bag of dog food and see if it works.

I have tried many and have come to the conclusion, for my pups, it is hit or miss. Sometimes their stomachs are sensitive, sometimes it is a full moon, sometimes who knows. They are parasite free and very healthy and happy. What I am now doing is feeding half Acana Ranchlands grain free and half of my own concoction of home made. I don't feed raw, mainly because I am not comfortable with it, but I do serve cooked. They are doing great on this menu. It also helps when we travel that they are used to a base kibble and can eat just that.

Good luck - you will get lots of suggestions here. Just remember a lot has to do with the pup. Not all do well on one particular way of feeding. I am always curious as to how they did on the track with the food - any pudding poops there :)?

You'll get as many opinions as there are dogs on this forum. There isn't a magic formula for finding one that works. It's a combination of what you can afford and what your dogs will eat and do well on.

IMO, most premium brands of dog food are too rich (too high a protein %) for most greyhounds. Unless your dog is lure coursing or doing another perfomance sport, or hiking long distances regularly, a regular amount of protein - something around 20% - is plenty. Many greyhounds have problems with chicken based foods. Same with corn and/or wheat. But if you're not dealing with a food sensitivity, you can pretty much feed whatever fits the bill. Foods using all the current buzzwords - organic, limited ingredient, single source protein, gluten free, etc - are mostly appealing to the human in the equation and not the dog.

If you haven't yet, you should try a different bag of the food that was working, in case it was just that bag or that lot. If it's the food, perhaps they changed the formula, or the source for a product and that made the difference.

The two options that come up most frequently are the Kirkland brand of Nutra Nuggets, lamb and rice, and the green bag version of regular IAMS. I can also get a similar Nutra Nuggets at my grocery store (@$25.00 per 40 lb bag, same as at Costco, but I don't have to go to Costco!). Green bag Iams has a high percentage of beet pulp, which is a fiber additive and helps firm up poops really well. You can also buy beet pulp at feed stores in bulk, since it's also given to horses for the same reason.

As a added benefit, both these foods have been relatively recall free, and with stable formulas.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Scouts_mom

I gave up on the fancy foods. I can't afford them and the poo was always soft tending towards liquid. I settled on Nutra Nuggets--lamb and rice (which greysmom mentions above). It gives nice bouncing poo, costs only $25 a 40 lb bag, and is available at a store, 1/4 mile away that is open until 10 pm every night. I have also used Purina Proplan with good results.

Guest Doggone

When Autumn first moved in, she was on one of the fancy brands (don't recall which one :(). I continued giving it to her for a while, attributing the horrendous gas and the pudding poo to her being still nervous. It got to the point where it was either I get a gas mask, or she tries a different kibble.

After reading posts here, I switched her over to IAMS green bag (Costco). No more gas and firmer poo! :)

I do mix in a tablespoon of wet food; it varies, depending upon what I pick up, and since the flavors change, she doesn't get bored. Since it's only a small amount, the change of flavors are just enough to keep her interested, but not enough to upset her stomach. I also add enough warm water to make a "gravy".

Aimee, I popped in over here after seeing your comments in my Costco bed washing thread. I've bought American Natural Premium (the Whitefish and Potato recipe) for my kids and as I stated in the other thread, last night I fed Clarice and Ozzie straight new food, no TOTW mixed in, and their poop was markedly improved this morning. American Natural Premium does also make a Buffalo recipe that my parents' greyhounds are doing really well on. http://americannaturalpremium.com/products/dog-food/buffalo-meal-recipe/

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest AimeeBee

I'm glad they're doing better! The kibble you linked looks pretty close to what I'd be wanting -- but it appears to be a regional brand. No dealers for 500+ miles when I searched!

I bought a bag of the Blue Seal Lamb and Rice today and just fed him that straight over tonight. He was suspicious of the new smell, but did eat all of it. We'll see what happens with the other end. The person who I spoke with at the feed store said if George had any issues with it that it would be no problem to return the remainder of the bag (smallest they had was 20lbs, so at least I won't be stuck with it if he doesn't do well).

Fingers crossed for good "outputs!" ;)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

And big bummer on it being regional. Glad you found something different to try! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We also gave up after 2 years on "high-end" food (Blue Buffalo Fish & Sweet Potato) due to inconsistent poos. We finally caved to the GreyTalk board support and switched to IAMS - we are now feeding the IAMS Healthy Naturals Chicken & Barley, and we have mixed in the other two IAMS Healthy Naturals varieties (one is fish and the other is chicken & peas grain-free) from time to time. We did not think our guy tolerated chicken or rice very well, but he has done great in the past 4 months, even with chicken. Sidewalk-bouncing poops like clockwork. :hehe We are officially converts. Good luck! We tried different foods for almost 2 years before finally setting on one consistently.

Guest Alisongreylover

My Earl has bad gas in the afternoons and soft poos, i feed him Costco premimum adult dog kibble lamb and rice with warm water and a sardine in the morning, a pedigree chum denta stick for lunch and kibble again early evening with a small amount of butchers tripe loaf mixed in followed by a pot of natural yoghurt, any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by Alisongreylover

Our adoption group feeds fosters Kirkland Lamb and Rice (Costco). It seemed to be working for our boys and we are members, so we've stuck with that.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.