Moral Support, Advice?

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Greta and Stella got into a fight again today. I was at work, DH was at home (though he didn't really witness it- he was in garage). Greta is 8.5 and we've had her for 4 yrs, Stella is 6 and we've had her for 4 months.

They've gotten into tiffs before, mostly over food, once or twice over stepping on each other in the dark.

This time was right before dinner, and we believe both were awake but probably wedging themselves in a tight space to watch DH as he went to garage to get something. One theory is that one laid down and the other stepped on her. Other theory is simply that they were wound up and wedged in a tight space.

They both "lost" unfortunately. Greta has a couple of small scrapes on her face and a puncture wound in her cheek and Stella has a small but nasty bite right under her eye. REALLY fortunate they weren't worse and DH's yelling called them off each other.

He's going to be taking a job that has him working away from the home more now... should we muzzle while we're not home? We thought they were settled in together bc its been a while since the last tussle....I'm so afraid it could happen again with worse outcome....

You're not going to like this but the only fight we've had (as opposed to snarks and redirected aggression) was 3-4 months after we introduced Hermon to our pack. It was between the two girls. We've had no issues like that since but put it down to everyone coming off best behaviour and sorting pecking order out. You may find that things settle, of things could escalate. I'd muzzle and maybe separate when you're not there.

Wow, that's about how long we had Xena when she and Jackie had an (unwitnessed) argument. I suspect either Xena tried to get Jackie to play or vice versa when the other didn't want to, or Xena was wound up by someone/dog going by and had some displacement. We had a behaviorist come by and ultimately she was leaning towards a one time thing or a displacement. We basically just went with muzzles from then on if the dogs were outside or were without supervision.

Later, with Homer, I did see some displacement growling and snapping from Xena after a bad across-the-fence aggression from another dog. However Homer has about 20# on Xena and when he did not engage she pulled herself together quickly. With Jackie the weight was the same and Jackie was old and not physically a deterrent. Plus, just about everyone I talked to pointed out that two females are more likely to have a serious row than a mix of genders or two males. Homer just can't be fussed.

Anyway, I think the timing coincidence is interesting...and the muzzles are a wonderful tool.

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

The only advice I have is that sometimes the dog who was there first is favoured over the newcomer, despite their natural feelings. In other words, if Stella is going to be higher in the pecking order than Greta, and you're favouring Greta because she's been with you the longest and you see her as the 'senior' dog (not just in years), then you may be making the situation worse, without realising it.

Have a think about whether that could be the case. If so, try to be more balanced with your attention and the way you treat them both. In some circumstances it's worth actually favouring the new dog - giving treats first, letting them choose their own bed etc - until things have settled down. But yes - most definitely muzzle or separate when you're not there to supervise. Things can escalate, especially if neither dog is sure of their position yet.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Even dogs who have lived together for some time can have a moment. I never muzzled my first five-pack when I left the house and marvel now how beautifully they all fit together. The current four-pack? Definitely muzzled when I am not home (both to ensure peace and to ensure that the paperwork on the table remains there). I don't think that you need to separate the girls, I would simply muzzle them when they are alone together.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest june

Muzzles can be your best friend. My girls have even gotten to the point where if i'm leaving and I pick up the muzzles they go settle in their favorite beds knowing I'm going to be gone. If I forget the muzzles they are at the door thinking they are going somewhere. They do not resent the muzzles at all and I know they are safe while I'm gone.

Zoe was my dog to use her teeth instead of her words, lol. It took me several trips to the vet to figure that one out. Anyway, I muzzle my dogs (except Brady - he has no teeth and never gets off his bed anymore) when I am gone and in the car. We have a routine with the muzzles and they don't have an issue with them at all. Better safe than sorry! It is disheartening to have this happen, though.

Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Muzzles.

There's no such thing as a strict "pecking order" or pack position among dogs. It doesn't matter who gets treats first, who gets the best bed, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.