Bumps That Look Like Bug Bites But No Bugs?

Guest roweboy

Guest roweboy

A few days ago I felt several small, pimple-like bumps on my dog's chest, under his leg-pits and a few other places. They look like bug bites. I carefully investigated, worried they might be ticks, but I don't see anything. The other night he was, for the first time, snuggling with me on the loveseat. As I made him move to get up, I saw a small, black spot move on his white fur. I tried to pinch it off, but it moved fast and buried into his fur. Then I went over him very carefully and either saw the same one or another one, which again I couldn't pinch. I took a comb and combed through his fur, but came up with nothing. Nothing in or near his ears (ticks' favorite spots).

This was 12:30 at night and I was totally freaked out. I took CJ outside and dusted him down with diatomaceous earth. In 34 years living in Colorado and owning dogs all that time, I never knew anyone whose dog had fleas, and only once have I had to deal with ticks on my own dogs, that either came from field mice or a grooming place.

After that night, I bought a flea comb and went over every inch of him for a long time but came up with nothing except some hair and a bit of white dandruff. If he had fleas or ticks, I'm pretty sure I would have seen some evidence with this kind of exam. Then I bathed him with baby shampoo, and again went over him with the flea comb. I cannot find anything, but he has these bites and bumps. I've washed all his bedding because the thought of bugs in the house is awful. I couldn't sleep years ago when my dogs had those few ticks.

I'll get him to the vet but would appreciate anyone else's thoughts or experience with something like this. I was afraid to use flea/tick shampoo on him and will see what the vet suggest for monthly preventative. Thanks!

Are you sure they aren't nipples? Males have them too, and sometimes they are tiny, inconspicuous, blackhead-looking bumps.

The reason I say that is because I posted a similar thread awhile ago, and I was shocked to find Truman had nipples! So embarrassing! :blush

Here's what I mean… those three little black bumps are nips.

944467a6-323c-4fd3-9256-23f63d45a97b_zps

448cdd40-05ef-4ca7-87b5-9b843c637335_zps

A small fast-moving black spot = a flea. Comfortis works very well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You really don't need to take your dog to the vet for a flea.

Which is exactly what it sounds like. Frontline Plus or something like it for prevention, and a Capstar tablet to get rid of them within about a half an hour.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

also the original dawn dish detergent will kill the fleas, but w/ our greyhound's thin skin it's a killer. you still need to put a monthly preventative on, i find front line plus still working. do vacuum everywhere and wash the bedding as well. you might need to spray your yard.

Guest alannamac

Oh my goodness how wonderful it must be to live somewhere where fleas are rare! Around here we pray for a few weeks of polar plunge so the fleas and ticks will be manageable.

That certainly sounds like fleas...the little buggers are really quick....if you couldn't pull up any with the comb, they haven't really multiplied a lot yet...now's the time to treat your pup before the population takes off in your home.......ticks are very very slow, just kind of creep along.

Comb your dog while he's standing over a newspaper. Comb out any dirt, collect it from the paper, then get it wet. If it turns blood-red, the problem is fleas. If the dirt stays "dirt," it's some other problem.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest roweboy

Thank you to everyone who posted suggestions. I love the support on this forum :)

Here's where I am with this: I used the flea comb on CJ outside in bright sunlight. I took a damp, white paper towel with me and wiped the comb on it as I went over him. Not one visible bug, no apparent flea dirt (nothing turned red on the paper) and nothing but a bit of white dandruff.

I used Frontline Plus on him and vacuumed the house thoroughly. I washed all his bedding and dried everything on anti-bacterial heat. I sprayed some flea killer spray on the inside of his giant pillow bed when I washed the cover. I check him everyday - heaven forbid the poor dog gets an itch or bites at a leg for a moment and I'm on him!

I also spoke with a tech at my vet and asked if my dog had fleas wouldn't I see something on a flea comb and a short-haired dog and was assured I would. I feel like I'm in the clear, and see no sign of my cats being bothered by anything. Whew! I'm lucky to live in a place with few flea problems because this would make me crazy to worry about on a regular basis!