White Teeth Again

A month or so ago I bought a bag of the Ark Naturals teeth cleaning treats. I have been giving 1/2 of one to Ruby every night since, and a turkey neck once a week. Tonight I was looking at her teeth and they look white again, even the canines that were starting to turn kind of orange. Could this possibly be this simple ? Has anyone else tried them and had success. Luckily I just bought another bag of them and she loves them. They sure reek though.

Karen

are you using these?:

http://www.arknaturals.com/breath-less-brushless-toothpaste-large

I need to change up what I'm doing with Walter because I"m noticing the same stuff and not that I want "white" teeth, but healthier teeth for sure.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

Guest Lillypad

are you using these?:

I need to change up what I'm doing with Walter because I"m noticing the same stuff and not that I want "white" teeth, but healthier teeth for sure.

Could it be the turkey neck, rather then the Arknaturals. At any rate I am going to give them a try too. I feed raw and brush (sadly not diligently) but still her teeth are very yellow, not plaque"y" but yellow. I am guessing worth a try, why not, hey. Thanks for the tip and information.

are you using these?:

Yes, these are what I bought. They are a lot cheaper on Chewy.com and Amazon though. I just got them for $13.?? on Chewy. I also cut them and only give her 1/2 each night.

I feed them on her bed and have never noticed a stain. I had the same problem with Greenies. These are smaller and she doesn't drool as much. They STINK though, but she loves them.

I am sure the turkey neck helps, but I have been giving her those for years. I really think these work. She is 7 and her canines are white and no plaque now. Her breath is good too.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

I emailed to find out how many pieces in the bag (the website photos aren't much help in figuring out how big these are). The product is packed by weight, and the 18 oz bag is approximately 73-76 pieces. They used to say that on the bags, but the NJ Bureau of Weights and Measures got difficult because the number was an approximation.

In my area. these are available at a lot of small pet boutiques and also at Whole Foods stores.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am sure the turkey neck helps, but I have been giving her those for years.

I need to start this with Walter. My concerns (in no order) are that the bone will splinter and hurt him, and I'm not sure how/when to feed them to him. I know it can't be too close to kibble time because the enzymes needed for both are very different and I know I'd have to feed it to him outside.

Do you have any ...words of wisdom for a newbie turkey neck person?

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

My concerns (in no order) are that the bone will splinter and hurt him, and I'm not sure how/when to feed them to him.

You feed turkey necks raw. The bones are soft(ish) and chewable and won't splinter. They're far safer for his teeth than the harder beef bones (which could be dangerous to his teeth, never mind his digestive system). Necks are a bit messy to eat, so you want to feed them outside or inside only if you have something you can put down. (I have a friend who feeds them in the dogs' crates and just wipes down the bottom of the crate with a disinfectant wipe afterward before she puts the bedding back in the crate.) Because I need to feed them outside, my guys don't get them in the winter or in bad weather. When the weather is good, my guys might get them once or twice a week.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Really ? Ruby loves turkey necks and starts getting hyper the minute she sees me open the freezer to give her one.

I feed them frozen and in place of a meal. I also feed them outside because she throws it in the air 2-3 times, does zoomies a few more times, and then settles in for the snack. I can't imagine that all over my house. Ick.

The bag I bought did not have anywhere near the amount you mentioned KF_of_Georgia of the Ark treats. The large ones have maybe 20-25 pieces in them and that's why I started cutting them in half. That might be the ones for little dogs. I will try to remember to count them when I open the new bag.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

The bag I bought did not have anywhere near the amount you mentioned KF_of_Georgia of the Ark treats. The large ones have maybe 20-25 pieces in them and that's why I started cutting them in half. That might be the ones for little dogs. I will try to remember to count them when I open the new bag.

Hmmm, I used the "contact us" link on the large size when I queried them. I've ordered a bag from Amazon, so we'll see.

Some of my dogs--fosters and regulars--have been slow to dive into the turkey necks at the start. I think the dogs aren't sure they won't be jumped by the other dog. When I've taken the dogs outside one at a time to eat, things have gone better, But yes, Silver's first time, she licked the neck in the bowl, then laid down by it and just stared at me. I finally put her in her crate and threw a blanket over the top so she had some privacy. A minute or so later, I heard that telltale crunching. These days, no one hesitates.

8978380977_bfc923f89b.jpg

Karen was right: 21 of the Ark Naturals treats in my 18oz bag of the large size. The pieces are approximately 3 inches long, and a little over half an inch in diameter. Hard/chewy green exterior, toothpaste interior.

They smell rather nice: chlorophyll, cinnamon, etc. The smell is much nicer than that of bully sticks. (When I opened the bag, the smell made me think "broccoli.")

Silver took about 30 to 45 seconds to finish her treat. Tigger polished off his in less than 15 seconds (including licking up crumbs). Maybe I'll try freezing his...

Are they hard treats? Aquitaine has only 6 teeth left but I would sure like to keep those in good shape. I do brush but she would much rather eat a treat!

Similar to Greenies with a soft center.

Karen was right: 21 of the Ark Naturals treats in my 18oz bag of the large size. The pieces are approximately 3 inches long, and a little over half an inch in diameter. Hard/chewy green exterior, toothpaste interior.

They smell rather nice: chlorophyll, cinnamon, etc. The smell is much nicer than that of bully sticks. (When I opened the bag, the smell made me think "broccoli.")

Silver took about 30 to 45 seconds to finish her treat. Tigger polished off his in less than 15 seconds (including licking up crumbs). Maybe I'll try freezing his...

I think they smell disgusting and almost gag when I open the bag each night. Did you feed a whole one ? I have been cutting them in half because they are so expensive.

Karen

I fed whole ones. They're less than a dollar apiece from Amazon ($15.21/bag), and I have Amazon Prime, so I don't pay shipping. (They're also available locally, but I don't know how much they cost.) But yeah, that would be $45/month for my two dogs. I might try buying the smaller bag rather than dealing with cutting them. And if I freeze some, I hope it will slow down Tigger. Less expensive and less messy than turkey necks, though.

(Turns out the woman at Ark Naturals thought I was asking about a different product. She's apologized, and she's sending a bag of the mobility chew she thought I meant.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

Some of my dogs--fosters and regulars--have been slow to dive into the turkey necks at the start.

I remember dear Baz's look when I gave him his first turkey neck. It wasn't "Someone might fight me for this," it was "You want me to EAT this disgusting thing?"

It didn't take long to convert him, however.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Similar to Greenies with a soft center.

I think they smell disgusting and almost gag when I open the bag each night. Did you feed a whole one ? I have been cutting them in half because they are so expensive.

Thanks! Probably too hard for her to eat. I did by the water additive. I will give it a "one box" try to see if it does anything.

You feed turkey necks raw. The bones are soft(ish) and chewable and won't splinter. They're far safer for his teeth than the harder beef bones (which could be dangerous to his teeth, never mind his digestive system). Necks are a bit messy to eat, so you want to feed them outside or inside only if you have something you can put down. (I have a friend who feeds them in the dogs' crates and just wipes down the bottom of the crate with a disinfectant wipe afterward before she puts the bedding back in the crate.) Because I need to feed them outside, my guys don't get them in the winter or in bad weather. When the weather is good, my guys might get them once or twice a week.

wednesday night we went to the park w/ riverhounds's greys Joe and Brees. Riverhound recommended that the necks are frozen as it scrapes off the teeth better. Walter only gagged once when he tried to eat the last 1/3 without chewing it. We walked, no problems. Until I came home from work Thursday. He pooped in the house at some point Thurs and then he had diarrhea for about 36 hours. I fasted him for 24 hours and then started him on rice. no poop yet since he's been on rice but that is pretty typical of him.

ugh. any reason why he may have had this reaction? I would really like to give him the necks, he appeared to enjoy it a lot but I can't clean up accidents in the house like this. he had kibble about 12 hours before and 12 hours after :/