Blood In Urine

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

Long story short, took Dudley in to the vet on a whim, I thought he was taking a little longer to pee than usual.

When we got to the vet he pooped, blood in stool, argh. They ran a fecal, came out fine. (I know that sometimes that can just happen)<- This may be totally unrelated, but you never know. No blood in stool since then (This was last Monday)

Did a urinalysis. Vet thought the urine looked very dark and cloudy, and it had a strong odor. He felt it could be a UTI, we did xrays to check for stones. Could not see anything, but there was feces that was blocking some of the view. He put Dudley on Clavamox just in case.

Urinalysis came back that there was no bacteria, but there was blood. Options are: Xray with contrast and/or ultrasound. The vet and I went with the ultrasound, we were worried that the xray would not show enough, and I would rather do an ultrasound and get it all over with than have to do an xray AND the ultrasound.

He is eating/drinking fine, but he did lose 2 pounds between feb and now, which I know does not sound like a big deal, but I feel like he lost a lot of weight. (He is not active, and has always eaten the same amount.) The ultrasound is expensive, I have the money for it, but I don't want to feel like a moron if I do it for no reason. The vet thinks he has stones that won't show up on a regular xray (I forgot what he called them) or potentially tumors, but he wants to do the ultrasound to check everything.

So I want to make sure the ultrasound Dr checks everything, what questions should I ask? What could this be if we don't see any stones? What organs should they be looking at?

ETA: Dudley is a male, neutered, 5 year old (will be 5 in July). He has not had any medical issues before.

Edited by Clawsandpaws

Do the U/S. And my common question with a male is: are you sure "both" nuts were present and both were removed?

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Get the amount of blood that was present - you want this for your records and will let you determine whether the condition it is getting better or worse. The value might be 1+, 2+ and so on, the higher the number, the more blood.

I would go with the ultrasound first and see what that shows. Hard to recommend questions at this point. You might want to consider getting a culture done as sometimes (rare but, does happen), bacteria will grow even though nothing was seen on the urinalysis.

Also, even though they don't see stones, sometimes areas will be obscured, he could still have stones ... probably not what you wanted to hear ....

Guest Clawsandpaws

Get the amount of blood that was present - you want this for your records and will let you determine whether the condition it is getting better or worse. The value might be 1+, 2+ and so on, the higher the number, the more blood.

I would go with the ultrasound first and see what that shows. Hard to recommend questions at this point. You might want to consider getting a culture done as sometimes (rare but, does happen), bacteria will grow even though nothing was seen on the urinalysis.

Also, even though they don't see stones, sometimes areas will be obscured, he could still have stones ... probably not what you wanted to hear ....

They did do the urinalysis and a culture, sorry, I thought it was and all inclusive thing. Last time he had a urinalysis (last year) they found very trace amounts of bacteria, but felt it was a negligible amount which could have been present in the container (I brought in the sample) however this was not my current vet...

I think I will feel better if I get the ultrasound done as opposed to another xray. I will call and ask for blood values :(

Do the U/S. And my common question with a male is: are you sure "both" nuts were present and both were removed?

Luckily, this is the vet that also did his neuter, he does most of the our groups newly retired dogs. He is also known to be very good about finding and working on our "crypts" (when the testicle does not descend) but I will call and ask just to make sure.

Similar thing happened with Iker last month. Blood in urine but no sign of UTI. Took x-rays and an ultrasound to rule out stones which were not present, and completed a culture which was negative. He ended up treating him for a penis infection with antibiotics and all seems fine now.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Similar thing happened with Iker last month. Blood in urine but no sign of UTI. Took x-rays and an ultrasound to rule out stones which were not present, and completed a culture which was negative. He ended up treating him for a penis infection with antibiotics and all seems fine now.

I really hope it's something like that. I went through stones with my cat and it was a very expensive nightmare :( She was in so much pain.

So sorry about Sir Dudley! Do the ultrasound. Hugs to you and to him.

Thank you. At least he is acting completely normal. I just hate the thought of him suffering and I have no idea why :(

Went through the same nightmare with Wendy about a month ago. She got up from her bed in obvious discomfort. Panting, hunched over, pawing at her side, belly tight as a drum. Rush to the E-Vet. By the time we got there she is in severe discomfort and was having trouble breathing; then she pee'd bright orange urine. We did blood work, urinalysis, head to toe x-rays; she stayed overnight, got IV fluids, etc. Next day, everything was fine! All tests negative and Wendy seems fine. A complete mystery! She is 8 years old so we monitor her very closely, but the girl is as spunky as ever.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Clawsandpaws

UPDATE: Ultrasound went very well. No stones or tumors. There was inflammation in the bladder, so we are waiting on a culture to see what antibiotic to do. I am so relieved!