Neck Balding & Redness

Guest SandyMD55

Guest SandyMD55

Hello all, I have a new greyhound. Our last one has been gone for 10 years, and it was past time for another. her name is Daisy, and she is great so far. But the skin under her neck seems very red and raw. Probably from her collar, but is there anything recommended for this? I keep her collar off inside, but it has to go on when we go out, so it just gets worse. Thank you!

My Jaynie has very sensitive skin and is prone to this problem. We avoid collars with metallic threads on the inside and for walks she wears a harness. Her tag collar is made of soft suede with a boomerang tag on it. Velvet would probably be fine too.

Collars come with a variety of linings, you might want to experiment and see if some linings work particularly well for your Daisy.

Congratulations! Please post pictures of Miss Daisy! Does Daisy have fleas, or did she have fleas recently? Years ago Carl had a super fast infestation of fleas and within 24 hours he'd scratched his neck red, raw and bare. I gave him a flea treatment, killed all the little buggers and it cleared up. He had a pretty bare neck to begin with along with his chest, sides, thighs and sides of his thighs. He turned out to be hypothyroid, was treated for it, some of the fur grew in, but it really grew in beautifully when I put him on 3mg of Melatonin. I ease off on it during the summer as he gets too hot with all that fur.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

One of my angel greyhounds had this and it ended up being caused by a food allergy - his was chicken. For some reason it was worse in the winter and his neck would lose the fur and get red. Once I removed all chicken from his diet - he never had the redness or fur loss again.

George had this problem when I first got it. You need to get his SKIN in better shape. I used fish oil for the first year or so, and he hasn't had a problem at all since. He can also wear any kind of collar and in fact wears his collar round the clock.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck