New On Here

Guest M355Y

Guest M355Y

Hi everyone,

I joined the forum only tonight to gain more information from those in the know. I am looking to rehome a retired greyhound in the next few months, I am not wanting to rush it so will hopefully start volunteering at my local rescue centre and maybe one day in the near future my doggy soulmate will find me to make my family complete!

I have been told that greyhounds and cats can get along great but was hoping to find out people's experiences and find out how they introduced everyone to one another.

Thanks and look forward to being on here chatting to you all.

Becky

:wave Welcome to GT! There are a lot of people here who have both greyhounds and cats. I'm sure you'll find lots of useful advice and info here. :D

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Clawsandpaws

Hello! I have a greyhound and a cat. It is best to let your group help you pick out the right dog from your house, and they will typically help you with the introduction, as everyone has their own idea of what works and what doesn't.

My dog was right off the track and cat tested in the kennel (he tested as fine with that cat). The adoption pres brought him to my home with a muzzle. First we had him muzzled on the lead with the cat roaming the house. She gauged his reaction to the cat (looking for signs of wanting to have a kitty kabob: drooling, fixating, whining, etc) when she thought he would be okay, we let him approach the cat on leash, he sniffed, didn't seem too interested. After about half an hour, we let him off lead, still muzzled. He went right up to the cat, in a curious manner, and the cat swatted him so damn hard he never went near her again ;) we crated when we weren't home, and muzzled him when he was around the cat for the first month or so.

Just keep an opened mind, our cat testing has held to be pretty true (I think one wrong label in 2 years) but never ever trust the testing 100%, every cat is different, and the dogs reactions can be different! With that being said, keep your group informed of any concerns you have :)

Guest KathCecilia

Hello, we are new to group as well. I adopted my boy this past October. Honestly, he was not the hound I had my eye on. The rescue came over to do a home check and brought along this giant black greyhound they had recently acquired. They brought him knowing that I had cats in my home and they wanted to see how he did with them. He arrived leashed and muzzled, we pretty much knew within the first ten minutes that he had very little interest in kitties. He allowed my cats to approach him, sniff him with no reaction. We allowed him to approach the cats. He sniffed for a minute, then moved on. Needless to say I fell in love with him. He followed me from room to room and stayed by my side while I talked with the adoption coordinator. He as I mentioned was not the hound I was expecting to adopt, but once he left I couldn't stop thinking about him. In 2 weeks Vincent Price was back again, this time to stay! I have 3 very active,inquisitive felines but Vincent has accepted them amazingly well. I kept him muzzled around them for nearly 3 weeks, and I made sure he saw me interact with them as much as possible. He saw me pet them, sit with them, feed them, cuddle them. He learned that they were a part of the home not prey. I am blessed with a greyhound who has little to no prey drive but I was still cautious. It's been 5 mos now and we are one happy family..cats and all! I am new to this, but my experience with cat's and grey's has been a very positive one! Good luck, your adoption group can help as well. Possibility by pairing you with a hound that has been fostered in a home with felines!

Welcome! I have a greyhound and two cats. The greyhound is absolutely terrified of the cats. He will not even walk past the cats. If they are blocking his path, I have to move them so he can walk by :hehe

Edited by Acadianarose

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Yep -- Greyhounds and cats can get along just fine. I have one Greyhound and one cat. Penny-the-cat tries to get Annie to cuddle and will lick Annie's ears and rub against her face. Annie has no interest at all. I knew from the beginning that they would be OK together, and within 30 minutes after arriving home on adoption day, had removed Annie's muzzle and it hasn't been on since, at least in the house. Annie is totally low/no-prey drive. She has no interest in squirrels, chipmunks or small, fuzzy dogs. If I didn't know better, I'd say she never raced. LOL

Guest M355Y

Wow, I've just read all of your replies and it makes me even more determined and sure that this is the right decision. 😃😃😃 Acadianarose, that made me chuckle hehe

I was wondering, did any of you use a crate whilst you were out just so the cat feels safe to roam the house and not feel that you have brought the greyhound in to take over his domain? This would only be for a maximum period of a month just whilst they accept one another, heck they could accept each other straight away but you never know!

I was also looking at purchasing a stair gate to begin with, have any of you used these at all and can cats squeeze through the gaps or do they usually have to jump over the gate?

Guest KathCecilia

I did (and still do) use a crate for Vincent when I'm out of the house. There are a few places he can't tag along lol. I feel safer all around with him crated, plus he truly likes it! I also keep the crate around for thunderstorms, it's a safe place where he feels comfortable. My hound does not care for thunder claps & booms but in his crate he never panics.

Welcome! We followed Clawsandpaws's procedure. Crates are good for cat safety, dog safety, and house safety. :) That said, I haven't consistently crated any of my hounds once they proved they could handle being relatively loose in the house (I keep some doors closed). Gates tend to work well -- for some reason many greys won't jump most gates, although I wouldn't rely on one for cat safety with a too-interested dog. Cats jump over or, if you position the gate higher, crawl under. Or some gates have a cat door. :) Some people wedge doors just wide enough for a cat with one of those sturdy rubber/plastic wedge doorstops.

Thread hijack -- KathCecilia -- Please tell me Vincent Price is a black dog. :lol

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest KathCecilia

EllenEveBaz--Yes Vincent Price is black lol. I got him a week before (my favorite) Halloween, so the name is fitting. Hahaha

• 4 weeks later...
Guest M355Y

We have now found a greyhound to join our family. She is called Izzy and turned 3 on 28/03/14. We collect her this Friday and are looking forward to giving her a forever home 😊

image-10.jpg

image-9.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-6.jpg

Guest M355Y

She is always smiling, I love it! To see how much she has grown in confidence since arriving at the kennels last Wednesday is absolutely amazing. I love her so much already and she isn't even here yet.

She looks fluffy too and of course very muscular. It's hard waiting, huh? :) Myka's backside is pretty bald, too, and she's mostly stayed that way.

Edited by Jenbo

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest M355Y

She is quite butch for a girl haha. It is hard but I'm so glad we have 4 days off to completely settle her in yay 😊

It seems quite common, she has what I keep calling a tufty bum haha

Edited by M355Y

She's looks like a big, muscular girl. She reminds me of my Princess in her younger days. Princess is tall and muscular and very beautiful just like your Izzy. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest ladyhound

She is just beautiful! Congratulations, I know the time must be crawling by for you right about now. Looking forward to photos of her when she comes home to you.