Red Lump On Toe? Update #1 Benign

Hi All,

This morning I noticed a red area on one of Minnie's front toes. I put some Neosporin on it. Now it looks like this....which is NOT how it looked this am. Does anyone know what this is? We have had an ice storm here and I thought she may have skinned it trying to walk in the hard snow while out to potty. Here are some pictures. The last is an extreme close-up. Thanks in advance! Carla and Minnie

UPDATE:

Hi everyone! We are back from the vet. The lump had scabbed over quite a bit after the big lick-a-thon yesterday. She was not 100%

sure what it was. I showed her the pictures posted below so she could see it before the scab. They did a fine needle aspirate and none

of the cells looked suspicious to her but we are sending it out for review to be sure. It has gone down a little more since yesterday. She said to keep applying the Neosporin and it should likely heal within the week. I thought after she licked it and it bled that there might be something else in there. Minnie let me poke around quite a bit but all I was getting was blood when applying pressure with a cotton swab.

We should have her results later this week. I will advise when I know. Thanks for all of the advice and good thoughts.

Hi all....the results are in....epithelial cells. There is one type of benign tumor that can grow into the bone. I forgot the long name

the vet mentioned. Started with a "C"....maybe. Anyway, this type normally starts by the nail and Minnie's is a bit away from the nail but

the vet stated if it does not heal within a week or two we will want to remove so there is no chance of growing into the bone. However, it

is shrinking and she is leaving it alone. Thanks everyone! :)

RedLumponToe1_zps5bb0f0dc.jpg

RedLumponToe3_zps636a4c55.jpg

RedLumponToe2_zpsc34ae507.jpg

Edited by greymomnc
greytalksignatureresized.jpg

:goodluck. Hope it nothing serious. Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

It actually looks a lot like some of the sebaceous cysts that Jeffie gets. They are like big blackheads, except the stuff inside is kind of yellowish waxy gunk. Eventually they pop and I empty them for him. He usually finds them quite itchy. It looks as if there could be a scab on top of that one. My guess would be that it is either a little skin cyst or a small abscess filled with pus.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to resist just seeing if that top part would lift off and see what was underneath!

Jim - our first greyhound - had a basal cell carcinoma on one of his toes. It looked nothing like that. The skin on it was not inflamed and it was dark, almost black. However, there are many types of skin tumour so the safest thing to do would be to show it to your vet.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

It looks like it could be a hystiocytoma. They aren't a big deal and eventually go away on their own if that's what it is.

That's what I thought. One of my dogs had one (I can't remember if it was Scully or Sadi) and it went away all by itself.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

It also looks a lot like what Twiggy had on a toe - plasmacytoma. (Do NOT google this without the word canine - it is considered benign in dogs, but in people it acts a lot like osteo - I scared myself half to death by reading about the human version!)

Twiggy's oncologist did a FNA which showed plasmacytoma. He told me that once they are messed with (as in a FNA), they often go away on their own. That is exactly what happened with Twiggy's. It was completely gone within a month and over a year later, still hasn't returned.

Hopefully you'll get a good answer on Monday!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Thanks all for your replies. Today, it was actually a bit smaller...then she decided to lick it and it bled....quite a bit. I cleaned the entire area up and put more Neosporin over it. I have it lightly bandaged just so she will leave the Neosporin alone. I am going to take it off later and look at it again.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg