Honeymoon Stage? Too Good To Be True?

Guest roweboy

Guest jbbuzby

Likely a honeymoon period, but do remember how he is now; the second he does anything that you don't like that differs from how he is now, tell him, so to keep the boundaries there so he knows what is acceptable and what is not. Don't let anything slip, and be firm when it does, and be super nice when he complies :).

That's good advice, well put, jbbuzby. I don't think all greyhounds do this - Ajax never did - but Capri went through a few "phases" where she tested her boundaries with us. One time she decided she didn't need to pee before bedtime. A couple of other things, that I forget. Right now she's discovered she can jump on our high bed, so is testing our rule about no dogs in our bed. LOL! So that may happen, depending on the intelligence and personality of the OP's dog.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest roweboy

We finalize our adoption today - the past two weeks have been the "foster to adopt" period. We can't imagine being without him :)

I have some questions that may seem silly: CJ sleeps a lot and I take him out in the yard several times on nice days just to hang out or run around if he will. We go for walks as weather allows. Is he bored? Is sleeping his way of resigning himself? We bought him plenty of toys but he won't really gnaw on chew toys (antler dipped in beef broth), or play with anything for more than a few minutes. Unlike other dogs we've had, he never seems to get antsy and needy. Normal? Outside he'll chase a ball a few times if he's in the mood, otherwise he's just hanging out. It's fine if this is all he wants, and maybe he'll become more playful as he settles in, we just don't want him to be depressed, lol. It does give us exercise chasing the balls we throw for him ;)

He's gone now, just over 2 years ago, and I still miss him--my first greyhound, Piper The Perfect. He was such a good boy. Such an easy dog. House training was simple, his manners were always impeccable. He was such a gentle, kind, loving soul, and that never changed through the 8 years he was with me. The only hard things with Piper were all related to his epilepsy and were completely not his "fault".

I hope your new boy continues to settle into your hearts and home easily.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

We finalize our adoption today - the past two weeks have been the "foster to adopt" period. We can't imagine being without him :)

I have some questions that may seem silly: CJ sleeps a lot and I take him out in the yard several times on nice days just to hang out or run around if he will. We go for walks as weather allows. Is he bored? Is sleeping his way of resigning himself? We bought him plenty of toys but he won't really gnaw on chew toys (antler dipped in beef broth), or play with anything for more than a few minutes. Unlike other dogs we've had, he never seems to get antsy and needy. Normal? Outside he'll chase a ball a few times if he's in the mood, otherwise he's just hanging out. It's fine if this is all he wants, and maybe he'll become more playful as he settles in, we just don't want him to be depressed, lol. It does give us exercise chasing the balls we throw for him ;)

Sounds like a greyhound to me. :lol

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

His behaviour is perfectly normal greyhound behaviour. they sleep a lot. he may play more as he gets more comfortable with his new life....then again he may never be a greyhound that plays with toys. they really are low maintenance.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Congratulations on the adoption. The first time we met greyhounds in a Petsmart, they were so calm and leaned into us. I asked the owner if they are all like that. He said, "What you see is what you get." And, we did.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The only thing that will get to you is feeling guilty because you think he wants more than he's got. More: walks, food, treats, play, sleep, attention, toys, etc.

As I mentioned above, my girl is one of the most easiest dogs. A problem for me is I tend to get caught up in her big brown eyes and see things that aren't there. Mostly I wonder if she's bored or depressed. They do get these sad looks on their faces and those eyes are so expressive. No doubt when I think she's bored she's wishing I'd stop staring at her so she could just take a nap.

As CJ settles in, he may let you know his desires so you don't have to guess. When Annie wants to go for a walk, she whines and tosses a stuffy around (about the only time she does play). If I'm not willing right at the moment, she goes down into the sphinx position and watches my every move with her eyes boring into me. When she thinks it's time for supper, she'll stand in front of me, brow furrowed, head tilted just a bit and again stare with those big brown eyes. How nice that CJ will run after a ball! Annie has no interest in anything like that and I've tried.

They're all different, which is why I love Greys so much.

Apparently I jinxed myself. This is what we came home to yesterday courtesy of Beatrix who we adopted on 10/17/13. :lol Eh, no biggie in the grand scheme of things.

1957944_10203435546832111_804062547_o_zp

Oh! SOMEBODY had a PARTY! Sorry - it's not funny - but I am giggling a bit. What ya gonna do? Stuff happens! Were the papers anything important?

My grandmother always told me that when you say something like "we hit the jackpot..." you should always knock wood. I don't believe in superstitions - but any time you claim to have gotten lucky with a kid, or a dog - KNOCK WOOD. Even if you're not superstitious - it an acknowledgement that it can happen to you.

Many greys sleep a lot - and play in short spurts. Lots of greys are not big on toys - especially when they're new. Walks are encouraged for greys - because left to their own initiative - many wouldn't exercise at all. My grey will chase a toy thrown - twice. Then take it to her bed. My grey will only run in our fenced yard - if I run with her or there's another dog around. Some greys are big chewers - some aren't. Sounds like you've got a low-key dog. I definitely wouldn't think he's "resigning himself" to anything. Remember - these dogs spent 90% of their time hanging out in a crate when they were racing - and were totally FINE with that. Many greys are very low-key, low activity. Yes - they can run like the wind - in short bursts. It's actually one of the reasons I wanted greys. Low-key. Not constantly wanting to go-go -go. Capable of being home alone.

If your dog was unhappy - You'd know it. There would be pacing - whining - chewing - clawing at the windows. A quiet grey that sleeps a lot, and plays a bit - is a happy greyhound. He's comfortable in your home. This is NOT a lab. Or a golden retriever. This is a greyhound. A chilled-out grey - is a happy grey. There are certainly exceptions - but a lazy, comfortable grey - is a happy grey.

Just want to add - my 2nd grey, Diana - was practically perfect. My first grey, Sobe - had A LOT of issues. But Diana came to us as a foster - and nobody wanted to adopt her - because the people that were adopting greys at that time were trying to be "heroes" and "save" poor dysfunctional dogs. Diana - was NOT dysfunctional (not that many greys are) but - she wan't "needy" enough for them. She was just .... a dog. No issues. No fears. No problems. So - we adopted her. She's a JOY. It's nice to have a grey that's just - easy. I can't think of 1 real issue we've ever had with her.

You'll read lots and lots of posts on GT about issues with greys. But remember - for every 1 person that posts with an issue - there are 100 people that DON'T have an issue - so they just don't post.

For Greyhounds sleeping is an art form that requires many hours of practise, which is why they do so much!

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest DeniseL

Our first, Thyme, aka Princess, aka Perfect Princess, aka Pretty Girl, is exactly that: perfect. She has been from day one. Not a single problem. Sweet, loving, calm, cuddly. We love her to pieces.

However....there is a BIG problem with getting a perfect hound on your first time out. You end up getting another. Usually very quickly. Hehe. The problem is the second one could be like my boy, Miami. Neurotic, fearful, ummmm, nippy. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE him to death, but he took a year of work and the help of professionals. :)

We had redemption with number 3, our galga Izzy. She walked in like she lived with us her whole life. Easy peasy. She is a work in progress with her reactivity, but in the grand scheme of things, it's nothing.

All in all, I think most greyhounds are like Thyme and CJ. They are easy dogs and require minimal work compared to other breeds. Miamis are the exception.

Just go with flow and enjoy your new baby. Chances are your second will be just as easy.... :)

Lara was a lot like that. At first she seemed to treat her beds as kennels (we didn't actually use a kennel at all), and seemed to want permission for everything. She did loosen up a lot, and became a lot more affectionate (it's been just over a year now), but she still didn't do anything bad - a gentle "no no no" is all it takes, and she immediately stops whatever it is, and generally doesn't try to do it again. We had a few issues with space/sleep aggression and barking at other dogs on walks, but they were relatively easy to correct with counter-conditioning and positive reinforcement. So chances are good that you will have the perfect dog, only even better, because he will become more affectionate with you over time!

I've actually thought that someone could make money by renting out greyhounds as temporary companions for people recovering from surgeries, because if you need someone to just lay around with you for hours on end, for days, a greyhound is top choice. I've had many lazy days with my crew, especially Capri who is happy laying by me on the couch non stop. Ajax does need to get out for a walk once a day and starts squirming and air-snapping when he loses patience waiting for me to get off my keester. But Capri, she will lay there with me until the end of time, I think.

As your pup settles in and starts to really feel like he's home, he is bound to get more playful and show more personality. But he will always be a calm, patient lazybutt. It's in the genes. :wub:

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest DogNewbie

I've actually thought that someone could make money by renting out greyhounds as temporary companions for people recovering from surgeries, because if you need someone to just lay around with you for hours on end, for days, a greyhound is top choice. I've had many lazy days with my crew, especially Capri who is happy laying by me on the couch non stop. Ajax does need to get out for a walk once a day and starts squirming and air-snapping when he loses patience waiting for me to get off my keester. But Capri, she will lay there with me until the end of time, I think.

As your pup settles in and starts to really feel like he's home, he is bound to get more playful and show more personality. But he will always be a calm, patient lazybutt. It's in the genes. :wub:

Good business idea! :P Wiley would sleep all day if we let him, although after a day or so of no walks, he does get squirrely. Some of those -40C days were tough! Wiley didn't play with his toys for the first month or so after we got him. Then he would play with them, but only if we were not watching. He has had some SA and nervous issues but other wise he has been the perfect pup!

Congrats on your new dog! Send pics!!

My Fritz had no issues and was easy peasy after a week of learning to be nice to my kitties. Never did any sort of training with him - his manners were always impeccable. Never jumped on anyone, never ever heard a growl from him toward anyone. Nothing bothered him at all. He would, on occasion, do a little counter surfing, but, that just taught me to keep the counter clear ;)

To be honest, everyone else that has lived here has been easy too. Ace (Fritz's sister) was easy too...she just didn't love other dogs bothering her while she was resting and would get into the kitchen trash if I didn't put the gate up. Pinky was easy too other than the first week or so when she wanted to put her feet on everything. Sutra and Carrie were both bounces who had been in homes before and they were absolutely perfectly mannered from the moment they walked into my house. Ozzie has been no problem other than the fact that he gets so excited when my parents come over that he wants to jump on them. He just loves them SO much! Clarice is my first dog that has really had some behavioral challenges, but we are working through those and she's making great progress. No issues with PEOPLE, just with other dogs. She LOVES every human she meets.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd say a vast majority of greyhounds are very easy keepers, with the occasional "quirk" or "bad habit"...but they are usually not hard things to deal with. :)

Today I've been watching basketball for most of the day, but, I took Ozzie and Clarice for a walk earlier, and then took my iggies for a walk while Ozzie and Clarice took a nap. After I walked the iggies, I ran some errands and came home and now I'm back in my chair watching basketball. Ozzie and Clarice are asleep on their couches and they MIGHT wake up here in a bit to eat dinner, but after that they'll be right back on the couches snoozing while I watch more basketball :lol They let me know when they need to go outside or when they want something.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--