Alone Training..two Good Days...back To Square One...very Frustrated

I took Cozett to the vet Tuesday. started melatonin, dap diffuser and collar and clomipramine. continued alone practicing. Wed and thursday she was like a different dog..calm, relaxed. thursday I had to leave her for 1 1/2 hours...I fell on the ice and broke my wrist. she was quiet and calm when we returned home. ..Friday, I had to go to the hand doctor. was gone about the same time. there was a thunder storm..came home to pee soaked crate and destroyed bedding. I am guessing the storm upset her. she did go in her crate alone last night while I was in the den. but otherwise..like she was ..crying every minute i leave, balking at crate, crying . i am very frustrated. i think she hates any confinement, but i cannot trust her alone yet. i left her for two minutes with a high value bone..chewed for one minute then went upstairs...i came in to find before any destruction started.

If she doesn't like confinement, why confine her? Might be worth a try to dogproof extra well, close doors to rooms you don't want her to go in, and leave her with her kennel (basket) muzzle on. Some dogs *really* fuss when crated and do much better not.

Agree with Sambuca that thunderstorm probably upset her. Plus, progress won't always be steadily forward -- sometimes you get a setback, doesn't mean you're not doing the right things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, a lot of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. We also had 2 greys that did not like crating. Destroyed the crates and injured themselves. Opie was pretty much good from day one when we ditched the crate. Toley took a bit longer. With Toley, I bought some calming cookies (at petco), and used a thundershirt. And I sang a song to him when I left, and came home. (yeah, silly, but it seemed to help!) The thundershirt seemed to make the biggest difference though. Good for thunderstorms and separation anxiety. I recommend them highly. Also, we still muzzle him when we leave, as he chews things - plastic bags, wood, pinecones, etc.

Edited by tydyelady

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I am thinking it is the confinement. ..even a swinging gate. We left her 15 minutes "free".. Came home to a very calm dog..she walked into the kitchen when she heard the door...like to say "oh hello"...going to try 15 minutes again later. Also having my husband help out with her feeding, etc. so it isn't all "me". She is clearly attached to me. What calming treats did you use?we have thunder shirt. I am putting it on a while before we leave..do t want it to be a trigger.

Edited by dbullwinkel

When my whippet first came home (he was 11 and bouncing again due to separation anxiety and a host of other things), I crated him. He managed to break the ties and push the tray out from underneath him and dug a hole through the carpet. So, being the intellectual giant that I am (not), I put the crate in another room, thinking he would do better in the same room where the others tend to nap. He got the tray out again and bent the bars. So, I gated him into a safe room but within seeing and hearing distance of the others. He cleared the gate. Needless to say, he was free to roam after that. Never had an issue with SA again.

It sounds like her free reign might be the ticket! Wishing you much luck and success. I hope your break heals well, too.

Keep us posted.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I missed the bit about your broken wrist. Egad. Hope you are not in too much pain and that it heals well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks..my Ig was the same way...had been bounced a few times..major separation anxiety (fear of being abandoned again, I assumed. After a few "issues" and a lot of work..he was a happy boy. Just lost him in December..right before losing my old grey girl Missy..

Bat mom: so much ice here..I felt it was necessary yo clean poop..didn't realize it was an ice rink in my back yard!

I wanted to share:my Cozett is doing great! We eased her in slowly to having free reign of the house..10 mins, 20, 30, one hour over the weekend. Some whining when we left..but no damage or accidents, and we came home to a calm dog! So proud of her. today I went back to work..I planned to come home at lunch, that would be four hours. She acted up when I left..as I pulled out of the driveway she was on the couch, with her paws on the bow windowsill. I calmly went back, said nothing, took a drink of water, handed her a small treat and left. She did not go back to the window. She was left two more times throughout the day, for much less time. Each time returned to a "normal" house!! I am continuing her meds, dap, thunder shirt, and obviously behavioral management! Have to work on making bow window off limits! Will speak with my vet regarding meds, to see how long we will continue.

She might like to see out of the bay window to watch for you. I know mine all hang out in the living room because they can see out the backdoor which we use.

But great update!

:nod Remember that's why I suggested trying her completely unconfined - Violet needed to be able to come to the top of the stairs that lead to my door so she could watch me go (she doesn't usually do that anymore, but sometimes she still does run from the bedroom to watch me and then as I'm shutting the door I'll see/hear her head back to the bedroom to go back to working on her kong) and also to check for me throughout the day (also doesn't tend to do this anymore unless it's a longer day, in which case I sometimes come home for find her laying at the top of the stairs watching the door).

Great update overall though. Remember to give her something really fun to do/work on each time you leave. That may help with the window behavior. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."