Hello From Tirzha And Cairo!

Guest TirzhaZ

Guest TirzhaZ

Hi, I'm new around here. I've lurked a few times on this forum for answers to some questions as I navigated a few situations with my best boy, Cairo. Cairo joined our family in September. We fostered him at first and then failed and kept him! I have always had dogs and/or cats, but Cairo is my first greyhound. I'm positive he won't be my last, though!

While I am unable to gather more information, what I have found out is that Cairo was abandoned by his breeder at a vet clinic. We got him at just under 5 months old and after adopting him we had our vet run all kinds of tests to make sure he's healthy and fracture-free (he is!) I've contacted a breeder in Colorado about him and she has tried finding out who his breeder is as well, as abandoning a greyhound is grounds for being disbarred she said.

Anyway, I haven't found a ton of "Raising greyhound puppies" sites out there. Most information I've found is for retired racers and what to expect from them. We're doing okay though! He's 10 months old now and growing quick. We have made great strides in being social with other dogs and he's a complete goofball. We are very glad to have him in our lives over here (I'm married and have a 7 year old daughter.) He's an amazing addition to our family. Lazy, but amazing :)

Cairo.jpg
free screen capture

Welcome! We have a few members with young greyhounds who can their knowledge with you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Congrats on the baby boy! :beatheart I know not a thing about Greyhound puppies either but would enjoy hearing all about them.

You are the first person I know who has one. :clap If you start a post on raising this puppy, I will be happy to follow and just listen.

I can't add anything except Welcome to GT and how beautiful Cairo is

Guest TirzhaZ

My boy Truman was an AKC greyhound who came home at 15-weeks-old. He's 2 now, but still as bad as ever.

Then...

photo.jpg

Now...

tman_zpsb3e6d48d.jpg

What a handsome guy! I'm partial to the brindles right now :)

He's adorable! Jennifer of NeverSayNeverGreyhounds just raised a greyhound puppy. Maddie is one-year old now. Jennifer's site is full of great information.

Jennifer's site is one I've been checking out quite a bit! Not so much lately because, well, I just don't always have the time. But I love her site!

I'm getting some work done in my living room right now (studying, blech!) and one whole wall is mirrored. Apparently Cairo has jut discovered this and he keeps staring into it at my reflection as I sit on the couch typing and reading away. He emits a low growl at the impostor mama every couple of minutes, then looks to me for comfort and reassurance that I won't let that evil fake mom take him away! For some reason he has not yet noticed his own reflection in the mirror, but that should be interesting when he does!

Welcome to the site, what a handsome young fellow. I raised two Greyhound pups, litter brothers from six weeks old and have been scarred for life.......just joking they are just like any other pups except they do everything quicker including getting into trouble!

Keep us posted on his progress, there are always plenty of folk here to share good advice and generally coo over lovely pups.

Eta. If you look below at my Sig you can see the two holy terrors during a quiet moment!

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest sireltonsmom

My boy Truman was an AKC greyhound who came home at 15-weeks-old. He's 2 now, but still as bad as ever.

Then...

photo.jpg

Now...

tman_zpsb3e6d48d.jpg

Yep, bad to the bone! All greyhounds should be as 'bad' as Truman is! Cuteness reigns!

Greyhound puppies are so much fun. Kili came home at 8 weeks old. She just turned 18 months and is finally starting to (sometimes) act like a (kind of) adult.

Then:

IMG_7751.jpg

Now:

ae32252f-b2b8-45f1-ade7-3b3725abc1a0_zps

Congrats on your new family member. Take lots of photos. They grow up far too fast!

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!